Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Hence our becoming children of God also, if we follow the example of the Messiah...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:08 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,122,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It also states that Yeshua was the first born, possibley because He followed Torah, the Father's instructions and reached the goal and finished the race...He may well have been the first to follow it 100% and it states that we are to strive to be like Yeshua...So, if we are to be like Him, what exactly did He do that we are to be like?...What are we to do to become brothers and sisters of Yeshua...He made it there, and He showed us the WAY there...

Old 11-29-2012, 01:24 PM

121 posts, read 107,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The Holy Spirit is one of three Persons who are God. The One God subsists in three Persons. Within the divine nature by which God is One, there are three distinct centers of conscousness, thee distinct wills who are always in perfect agreement with each other. The First Person is called the Father. The Second Person is Jesus Christ, called the Son of God which is a title of His deity, but distinquishes Him from the First Person of the Trinity. The Third Person is called among many other titles, the Holy Spirit. These three Persons are the one true God.
This is an intriguinig concept but a little confusing to me. How is it that you can assert they are distinct consciousnesses while being in perfect agreement with each other. What then is the distinction that separates their individual personhoods? As far as I can tell our consciousness is our personhood. I am not discussing this with your body. I am discussing this with you as a person, in other words with your consciousness.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman2 View Post
This is an intriguinig concept but a little confusing to me. How is it that you can assert they are distinct consciousnesses while being in perfect agreement with each other. What then is the distinction that separates their individual personhoods? As far as I can tell our consciousness is our personhood. I am not discussing this with your body. I am discussing this with you as a person, in other words with your consciousness.
This was a sincere question. I really would like to know what the reasoning is that is so compelling.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:49 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,612,687 times
[quote=Ironman2;27140013]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555
The Holy Spirit is one of three Persons who are God. The One God subsists in three Persons. Within the divine nature by which God is One, there are three distinct centers of conscousness, thee distinct wills who are always in perfect agreement with each other. The First Person is called the Father. The Second Person is Jesus Christ, called the Son of God which is a title of His deity, but distinquishes Him from the First Person of the Trinity. The Third Person is called among many other titles, the Holy Spirit. These three Persons are the one true God.

Quote:
Quote:
This was a sincere question. I really would like to know what the reasoning is that is so compelling.
It is not by the reasoning of man, but by the revelation of God that that which is knowable about God can be known.

God has revealed that there is only one true God.

Isa. 43:10 "You are My witnesses," declares the LORD, "And My servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and believe Me And understand that I am He. Before Me there was no God formed, And there will be none after Me.

And yet, there are three who are declared to be God. Not a false god, not an idol, not a god of mythology, and not a human magistrate who in ancient Israel was referred to as god, but the Creator God who brought all things into existence.

The Father is God; 2 Cor. 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,

The Son is God; John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. Phil 2:5-6 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,

The Holy Spirit is God; Acts 5:3-4 But Peter said, "Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back some of the price of the land? "While it remained unsold, did it not remain your own? And after it was sold, was it not under your control? Why is it that you have conceived this deed in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God."

It is said in Romans 8:26 that the Father who is the First Person of the Trinity knows the mind of the Spirit who intercedes for the saints. This tells us that the Father has a mind because He knows things. This tells us that the Holy Spirit has a mind which is distinct from the Fathers mind. This also tells us that the Holy Spirit intercedes on behalf of the saints with the Father.

Romans 8:26 In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27] and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. Just as Jesus Christ continually intercedes for believers in God's presence.

Romans 8:26-27 shows us that the Father knows what the Holy Spirit is thinking. This reveals the Father's omniscience and the intimacy within the Trinity.

Each Person in the Trinity has His own mind, His own will, and His particuliar role in God's plan of creation and salvation. And again, it is not by man's logic and reasoning that this can be known, but only because God has revealed it in His written word.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
It is not by the reasoning of man, but by the revelation of God that that which is knowable about God can be known.
God has revealed that there is only one true God.
And yet, there are three who are declared to be God. Not a false god, not an idol, not a god of mythology, and not a human magistrate who in ancient Israel was referred to as god, but the Creator God who brought all things into existence.
Each Person in the Trinity has His own mind, His own will, and His particuliar role in God's plan of creation and salvation. And again, it is not by man's logic and reasoning that this can be known, but only because God has revealed it in His written word.
OK, thank you. It is unreasoned belief. I can accept that but I could never agree with it. Fortunately, as a Spiritualist, I don't have to.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM

93 posts, read 83,939 times
You are absolutely right that the Holy Spirit is by decree from the Father separate from the Son and Father, but yet One Being. The Holy Spirit, just like Jesus, in human history is part of the human race. The Spirit of Truth.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,612,687 times
Quote:
OK, thank you. It is unreasoned belief. I can accept that but I could never agree with it. Fortunately, as a Spiritualist, I don't have to.
Do not make the foolish mistake of thinking that faith is blind. The Bible gives proof of its divine origin. For instance, the fulfillment of Bible prophecy which is historically verifiable as fulfilled. And in great detail in many instances, such as in the book of Daniel. But that is off topic.

The Bible is the word of God and is the absolute norm and standard for truth. To reject it is to reject truth and be prey to every false doctrine which Satan's cosmic system blows your way.

When I say that it is not by the reason of man that anything can be known about God, that is exactly what I meant. Apart from divine revelation, man is completely incapable of knowing anything about eternal and infinite God. God has revealed Himself in a general way through His creation (Romans 1:20), but specific revelation comes only through the word of God. You will never learn anything about God by meditating while staring at your navel.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-01-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Do not make the foolish mistake of thinking that faith is blind. The Bible gives proof of its divine origin. For instance, the fulfillment of Bible prophecy which is historically verifiable as fulfilled. And in great detail in many instances, such as in the book of Daniel. But that is off topic.

The Bible is the word of God and is the absolute norm and standard for truth. To reject it is to reject truth and be prey to every false doctrine which Satan's cosmic system blows your way.

When I say that it is not by the reason of man that anything can be known about God, that is exactly what I meant. Apart from divine revelation, man is completely incapable of knowing anything about eternal and infinite God. God has revealed Himself in a general way through His creation (Romans 1:20), but specific revelation comes only through the word of God. You will never learn anything about God by meditating while staring at your navel.
i very much appreciate your obvious concern for my welfare, Mik555. I tread a different path from you and meditation aids me in doing that. I value reason and logic, so I am unlikely to abandon it. Thank you again for clarifying your position.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,122,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Spirit View Post
You are absolutely right that the Holy Spirit is by decree from the Father separate from the Son and Father, but yet One Being. The Holy Spirit, just like Jesus, in human history is part of the human race. The Spirit of Truth.
That screen name of yours is just......Wrong....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity