Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 11:31 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,913,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Have you seen any crime on that route during the day?

I'm concerned about when it starts to get dark early and I'll have to walk home after a long day. Or even when it's early in the morning and dark.
I obviously don't go that route during the day (I mostly telework nowadays), and have never walked that route directly. Obviously have been to Streeterville and the Loop plenty of times but never walking to and from roundtrip, as I have never lived in either neighborhood.

But.... I have not personally heard about any significant problems in Streeterville during this crime spike the last 2 years. Mainly, I think, due to the fact that it is so far east and not near any major public transportation (i.e. an L/CTA stop). While the Loop has definitely had it's share of problems, I think "most" of this has occurred on the weekends when the large groups of teens are getting together to go out, rather than the week day.

I would say, you should probably be ok during the work week. Although, that is purely speculation. Prior to 2020, this wouldn't have even been an issue and everyone would have said you'd have zero to worry about. But times have changed. I think during the work-week, you'll be fine, but I can't say that with 100% certainty anymore.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:48 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,874,311 times
Most of the recent issues have been with large crowding. If I see any sort of crowd forming, I'm just going to take the long way around it.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,591,239 times
That's what I did Saturday night. You should have seen the chaos stemming from those hoodrats stampeding. Lots of tourist, locals, and otherwise normal civilians completely in the line of fire.

The mayor needs to shut parts of the redline down past a certain hour, let's say 6pm. I know that would be very controversial with the waaaaacist cards being the top complaint, but the cops are absolutely outnumbered, civilians are not allowed to assist, and the maniacs are completely emboldened. It wouldn't stop all those destructive behavior but I bet it would mitigate some of the madness.

A 10pm curfew is jack****.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:49 PM

5,072 posts, read 2,193,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
Have you seen any crime on that route during the day?

I'm concerned about when it starts to get dark early and I'll have to walk home after a long day. Or even when it's early in the morning and dark.
I havent myself but residents of STreeterville have been upset about the rising crime in that area. and the Loop we all know about all of the crime there recently day and night. I even posted an article about it here

Old 05-18-2022, 05:58 AM

29,594 posts, read 19,707,202 times
https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...-from-chicago/

Old 05-20-2022, 03:54 AM

29,594 posts, read 19,707,202 times
Seriously who would want to live or visit in or around downtown with this crap going on? Would you?

Quote:
10 shot, 2 fatally, at State and Chicago on Near North Side, CPD says
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...88b5771abc1a7c

Old 05-20-2022, 05:41 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,913,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Seriously who would want to live or visit in or around downtown with this crap going on? Would you?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...88b5771abc1a7c
That is in the heart of tourist-land on the bustling Chicago Ave. Hits close to home because I lived near there when I first moved to Chicago. The McDonalds is right across the street from Holy Name Cathedral, which I go to sometimes.

It's right next to the CTA stop, and even years back there would be large groups of "teens" sometimes gathered near there. But there was (at least during Rahm's time) always a large police presence there too since that is a prime tourist area, so they never really got out of line.

It is getting exhausting and each incident like this I hear about makes me more and more ready to leave this place. Sad what has been happening to this city.

Old 05-20-2022, 08:11 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Good morning, there's a Blues Fest coming up (I believe in Grant Park) in June. My Milwaukee cousins want me to go with them.

I need to check in with them to see if these recent headlines have them feeling uneasy, or if they will just take the position: Let's go, have fun, and leave before it gets dark out!

Old 05-20-2022, 09:45 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,084,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Let's go, have fun, and leave before it gets dark out!
No problem, but don't looked shocked when I show up in body armor.

Seriously, I grew up attending Blues Fest; this was not a concern back then.
Now, even my younger 20 something suburban friends want no part of Chicago.
Add in inflation, and I foresee few tourists visiting either.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:06 AM

4,664 posts, read 3,301,716 times
Sunbiz1, so when I see the guy that looks like Sir Lance-a-lot, I can walk up and say, "What's up Sunbiz?" ??

I have never been to the Blues Fest, but these cousins of mine have a tradition to go every year, so I said I'd join in.

I DID see a guy playing the Blues at the corner of the Maxwell Street market on Sunday when I came down with the kids (which is WAY smaller than I remember prior to 2021!).

I have been perusing the articles of the shooting on State Street (it is a fortunately slow day here in my jail). And as you know, my city of Milwaukee has residents trying to "out-bad@ss" those from Chicago, with their own shooting antics!

Well, I am definitely NOT staying away from Chicago! But you probably knew that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago