Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 06:13 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,177,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The DA yes, the police chief no. The former police chief, Garry McCarthy, who was part of NYC's huge turnaround in crime under Guliani, stated that he wanted to implement much more "aggressive policing" policies, but he was not allowed to under Rahm. He said that, in combination with the DA not being tough on crime was the reason for Chicago's problems.

Even this current police chief has mentioned there are things they've wanted to do, but have had their hands tied because of the mayor. So I think the mayor and the DA both play a big role in being "tough on crime." The police chief does too, but only if allowed to by the mayor.
That really does say it all! McCarthy wants to save this city even now. And instead of voting for him this city voted for the worse mayor ever. It is a shame the innocent children have to pay the price for how the parents vote. Good job chicago

Old 05-13-2022, 06:45 AM

377 posts, read 274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugofpeace View Post
I have a job offer in downton that requires me to be in office 3 days a week.

I lived in Chicago from 2013 - 2020 and loved it. Had no intention of leaving but due to the pandemic I moved down south to Dallas to be with my parents.

As much as I want to come back - hearing these stories is just too much for me. I cant imagine walking to work one day and worrying about getting shot, or even getting shot and my family finding out. It would destroy them if something happened to me.

Probably going to decline the offer ;(
People aren't getting killed walking to work during the day downtown. Its mostly overnight violence and especially on weekends.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:54 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
My anecdotal experience- In my neighborhood, Lincoln Park, I have not personally noticed more crime or it even feeling worse. Early on in 2020 when the pandemic began and the George Floyd protests occurred, it definitely had an eerie feel, but that was because tons of businesses were closed. From that point until now, there has been a slow and steady opening of things; although, it still is not as vibrant as it once was before the pandemic.

Downtown, I have witnessed a larger, "rougher crowd" on a few occasions, but not personally witnessed any crime. Just way less vibrant than it once was, and again, early on in 2020 an eerie desolate feeling. Things have slowly opened, but again, still not as vibrant as it was pre-pandemic likely do to a combination of things (remote work, which has a trickle down effect of less businesses, less people, etc.).

City life may never be the same again, or reach the level of vibrancy it had pre-pandemic. This is hard for many to hear or accept because of the fond memories we used to have of cities pre-pandemic. About half of my friends (in the city/metro area) still have not fully re-entered life and the volume of people that I see in everyday settings when I'm out is not nearly at the level it was pre-pandemic. With remote work here to stay (and at least hybrid for many), you just won't have the daytime vibrancy that cities were once known for (crowded trains, hustle bustle) and without that, the small businesses/shops/street vendors that were the heart of city life.

Although, I do personally think that in maybe 3-5 years, once the world knows how to live in the "new normal," you could see a renaissance of city life that resembles how it once was.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:56 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
People aren't getting killed walking to work during the day downtown. Its mostly overnight violence and especially on weekends.
Agree. That would be the last thing I'd be fearful of. Although it can't be denied that downtown has had more crime in the last 2 years than I can ever recall. It was once the crown jewel where you rarely heard of violent crime incidents.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:09 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,579,336 times
I was on Hubbard smoking last night near some loudmouths, and all of the sudden 3 cops came to arrest one of them, who ran around a pole to evade.. All hell broke loose as the female hoodrats were screaming unintelligibly and the cops began yelling "GUN GUN". The group of hoodrats grew in size, and one of the thugs somehow got involved. Fortunately more cops arrived, several arrests were made, several guns confiscated, the rats dispersed, and a million gawkers took some videos.

Scary moment; the cops have to deal with these awful people daily.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:32 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
I know the loyal Chicagoans love to jump down my throat when I occasionally visit this site and make a comment. But here with what's being said I have to say those can comment on "today" have NO perspective of what once was vs. today. Allow me to go back a way. Like the 50's and 60's. When the original Richard J Daley was the mayor the advantage of the way HE ran things was it didn't have to go through committee. If it needed to get done it just HAPPENED! There was no delay and the City of Chicago just worked.

I grew up on the South Side, in a neighborhood that went from a "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle to a gang run sewer these days. as a kid I took the CTA bus downtown for a day of fun and never had an issue. Till one day, the last year we lived on the South Side in that neighborhood, on the way back from downtown going through Hyde Park a couple drunk AA guys got on the bus and harrassed me calling me, for no reason, a white MF bast@rd and fortunately took his hand off my throat before it was too late.

The year following our leaving Chicago MLK was killed and they rioted down 87th street smashing all the businesses windows. The "white flight" hit big time and the South Side began its slide into its reputation of today. You guys can drag out all the bright colored paint you want, the sad reality is that after dark, the city becomes a cesspool. It's bad enough during the daytime in some areas. Chicago is however far from alone in this regard. I have to admit I can't wrap my mind around why in the world anyone would want to live there these days. Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-13-2022 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:33 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,849,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post

I definitely feel that crime is on the rise, but then I have to ask myself, is it so much worse that it was, or am I just aware of more due to social media and things like the Citizen app? (Which I had to mute because it was making me paranoid)
Yes, most definitely this is the case. I have that app, and am suddenly way more crime conscious, when the reality would have been the reality either way.

I do think that's true with a lot of stuff in the world today - we are way more aware of stuff that was already there.

That said, let's see what the stats say EOY 2022 and see. That stats suggest 2020 and 2021 were bad.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
My anecdotal experience- In my neighborhood, Lincoln Park, I have not personally noticed more crime or it even feeling worse. Early on in 2020 when the pandemic began and the George Floyd protests occurred, it definitely had an eerie feel, but that was because tons of businesses were closed. From that point until now, there has been a slow and steady opening of things; although, it still is not as vibrant as it once was before the pandemic.

Downtown, I have witnessed a larger, "rougher crowd" on a few occasions, but not personally witnessed any crime. Just way less vibrant than it once was, and again, early on in 2020 an eerie desolate feeling. Things have slowly opened, but again, still not as vibrant as it was pre-pandemic likely do to a combination of things (remote work, which has a trickle down effect of less businesses, less people, etc.).

City life may never be the same again, or reach the level of vibrancy it had pre-pandemic. This is hard for many to hear or accept because of the fond memories we used to have of cities pre-pandemic. About half of my friends (in the city/metro area) still have not fully re-entered life and the volume of people that I see in everyday settings when I'm out is not nearly at the level it was pre-pandemic. With remote work here to stay (and at least hybrid for many), you just won't have the daytime vibrancy that cities were once known for (crowded trains, hustle bustle) and without that, the small businesses/shops/street vendors that were the heart of city life.

Although, I do personally think that in maybe 3-5 years, once the world knows how to live in the "new normal," you could see a renaissance of city life that resembles how it once was.
Lincoln Square/Ravenswood here. It's a little worse now than in 2019. But not enough to be "bad". I haven't witnessed a crime in my 3 years living here. But we did have a shooting 5 blocks away recently on Western/Eastwood. There were news choppers.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post

I grew up on the South Side, in a neighborhood that went from a "Leave it to Beaver" lifestyle to a gang run sewer these days. as a kid I took the CTA bus downtown for a day of fun and never had an issue. Till one day, the last year we lived on the South Side in that neighborhood, on the way back from downtown going through Hyde Park a couple drunk AA guys got on the bus and harrassed me calling me, for no reason, a white MF bast@rd and fortunately took his hand off my throat before it was too late.

The year following our leaving Chicago MLK was killed and they rioted down 87th street smashing all the businesses windows. The "white flight" hit big time and the South Side began its slide into its reputation of today. You guys can drag out all the bright colored paint you want, the sad reality is that after dark, the city becomes a cesspool. It's bad enough during the daytime in some areas. Chicago is however far from alone in this regard.
Roseland?

My dad grew up there in the 60s, graduated college from IIT in 1968. Most of the family scattered except for Carol Tome, if you know her, she was pretty legedary in Pullman as a hard ass who never left.

Others went to South Holland, Evanston, or the western 'burbs.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:03 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Roseland?

My dad grew up there in the 60s, graduated college from IIT in 1968. Most of the family scattered except for Carol Tome, if you know her, she was pretty legedary in Pullman as a hard ass who never left.

Others went to South Holland, Evanston, or the western 'burbs.
Nope it was Jeffrey Manor. I got my first pair of glasses from an optometrist in Roseland. We also got our first puppy there at a pet store off the main street of their downtown in Roseland in 1963. Back then it was quite the shopping area. Now it's a burned out hull of gangs and drugs. In August of 1967 we headed to Highland Park so I wouldn't get my butt kicked at that scummy Bowen High School. It was life altering in a great way. I never had to see the Manor at it's worst. I think we got out just in time. As mentioned it really hit the fan in 68. I know Roseland was not unlike that as well. It's really sad it ever happened that way, but at least I have the memories as they are precious. To me it's like Hiroshima must have seemed to those after the bomb. Not a great place to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago