Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 02:09 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,138,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The DA yes, the police chief no. The former police chief, Garry McCarthy, who was part of NYC's huge turnaround in crime under Guliani, stated that he wanted to implement much more "aggressive policing" policies, but he was not allowed to under Rahm. He said that, in combination with the DA not being tough on crime was the reason for Chicago's problems.

Even this current police chief has mentioned there are things they've wanted to do, but have had their hands tied because of the mayor. So I think the mayor and the DA both play a big role in being "tough on crime." The police chief does too, but only if allowed to by the mayor.
I'd honestly be curious to know what measures the current chief would like to do, but isn't allowed to do.
(I know that sounds sarcastic, but its not. I would really like to know.)

I imagine the personnel shortage of police is having a terrible impact on things as well.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
I'd go farther. Much father. Lori should have conversations with Pritzker about deploying the Illinois National Guard for at least for the warm months. Chicago just can't/won't solve its own problems, and requires paramilitary protections. Frankly we should be training, arming and deputizing civilians to operate in an auxiliary capacity as well.

Unfortunately, Lori has been hostile to utilizing the National Guard and, well, it's been a terrible six years or so with a bloody summer on the way.
Hostile is a bit of an overstatement, but OK. What role do you envision the National Guard having in policing the city? They aren't trained law enforcement.

I can see utilizing them as crowd control if rioting breaks out, but that wasn't a problem last summer. Not like the summer before anyways.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:30 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,583,691 times
Patrolling the streets in high crime areas is one. Supporting CPS when they're being overwhelmed (such as yesterday) by hoodrats. Have a constant presence on the trains.

Old 05-12-2022, 02:36 PM

212 posts, read 231,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
I left Lakeview Chicago 6 years ago and the media and people outside Chicago would exaggerate how bad it was. I know certain areas were bad, but I never knew anyone who was a victim in all my years there. Now I'm reading stories about how it is bad everywhere and even in Lakeview/Lincoln Park. Is it true that it feel much less safe now that it used to?
Lincoln Park feels as safe as it ever did, from my visits. I spent a lot of time there, from the East to the West side of the neighborhood last Saturday. There are more vacant storefronts but it was still safe. Downtown feels different. I’m unsure about Lakeview. I lived in several different neighborhoods last year and the year before. I heard lots of gunshots for sure, in addition to encountering an increased amount of bad behavior all over the city. It is noticeably more intense out there

Old 05-12-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
Patrolling the streets in high crime areas is one. Supporting CPS when they're being overwhelmed (such as yesterday) by hoodrats. Have a constant presence on the trains.
Well, the second suggestion I can agree with (I said pretty much the same thing in my post)

The other two, I am curious. Given the fact that they are not trained law enforcement: What would the mandate of armed soldiers on city streets and on the train be? To engage with deadly force when they witness crime being committed?
Or are you hoping the mere sight of them will deter criminal activity?

Old 05-12-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannFrankenstein View Post
Lincoln Park feels as safe as it ever did, from my visits. I spent a lot of time there, from the East to the West side of the neighborhood last Saturday. There are more vacant storefronts but it was still safe. Downtown feels different. I’m unsure about Lakeview. I lived in several different neighborhoods last year and the year before. I heard lots of gunshots for sure, in addition to encountering an increased amount of bad behavior all over the city. It is noticeably more intense out there
They seem to be having an uptick in crimes committed by criminals from other neighborhoods. At least that's my perception.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,881,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigboto View Post
Well, the second suggestion I can agree with (I said pretty much the same thing in my post)

The other two, I am curious. Given the fact that they are not trained law enforcement: What would the mandate of armed soldiers on city streets and on the train be? To engage with deadly force when they witness crime being committed?
Or are you hoping the mere sight of them will deter criminal activity?
I would personally assume the latter. More of the "presence" that would deter crime. Same as having them on trains and even as a visible presence in the neighborhoods.

Wouldn't deter it all the way, but I think the presence would help a good bit.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I would personally assume the latter. More of the "presence" that would deter crime. Same as having them on trains and even as a visible presence in the neighborhoods.

Wouldn't deter it all the way, but I think the presence would help a good bit.
I'm not sure I agree with you on that, especially since the NG aren't trained LEO, but hopefully if it ever happened they would have a clear mandate and clearly defined role. Would you want them to be authorized to use deadly force if they witness a crime being committed?

I wouldn't be surprised if the result was more crime and civil unrest. I sure wouldn't be happy having armed soldiers patrolling my streets.

I would agree with deploying the NG in the event of rioting/looting though. I would not agree with them being deployed to quell legitimate, peaceful protests.

Old 05-13-2022, 05:24 AM

291 posts, read 202,360 times
I have a job offer in downton that requires me to be in office 3 days a week.

I lived in Chicago from 2013 - 2020 and loved it. Had no intention of leaving but due to the pandemic I moved down south to Dallas to be with my parents.

As much as I want to come back - hearing these stories is just too much for me. I cant imagine walking to work one day and worrying about getting shot, or even getting shot and my family finding out. It would destroy them if something happened to me.

Probably going to decline the offer ;(

Old 05-13-2022, 05:34 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,993,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durpie22 View Post
What happened? The usual suspects gathering in large crowds?
i remember when I had to deliver some food over on ashland off i55 back in 2010... it was 1030am and there were huge crowds of peolple at the gas station doing nothing.. i got to the place . Parked in the alley got out and there was a mural of someone that was murdered right there... i dropped the food off and ran to my car and got the hell out lol...

It was bad then, I cant imagine now... and I grew up on rockwell and was use to crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago