Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 07:30 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Pilsen, I mean... Greenpoint.

BK Industries

While they share almost no resemblance in feel or vibe now, it will be more exaggerated difference once Greenpoint Landing is built.

While I've already said some areas can share an aesthetic similarity, Pilsen isn't one of those places. Besides, from my understanding Chicago has better Mexican food, so in this case, why not an NYC version of Pilsen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 07:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,838,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Sorry edsg, my response was more towards Nafster.

BTW: I disagree with your gloom and doom last paragraph but thats a different topic altogether.
no doom-and-gloom. reality. no nation can survive with the amount of income disparity the United States has or a government completely turned over to corporate and monied interests. check out Thom Hartmann's The Crash of 2016 for one of the most well documented and intelligent review of how we have to come to where we are…and where we are going. there are two americas out there, Tex, and it's going to kill us.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,165,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I will say this again, its very insulting and disrespectful to assume anything about someone based on their address. You don't know anything about any individual based on their address.

Some people are all about expanding their horizons, may have jobs that require being on the road a lot, some people have friends that they visit in many different areas, some dot t extensive research even if they have the slightest interest in possible relocation, etc. Some are also more observant about how places are different than others. I teach geography as a profession. Its a natural career path for me because it fits my keen observation about how places are similar and different.

And yes, someone who takes the green line through the west side and looks at aerial images of the "wild 100s" and the Calumet Harbor, observation how extensive that is compared with the prime parts of the city, does bring something else to the table.

Does this mean someone who does research in other countries doesn't know what they are talking about because they may only spend short periods of time there??

Naperville I could understand, as its 30 miles from the loop. It is a haul to get to the city. But Skokie?? Come on.

I will tell you one thing, for all thats great about Chicago, and all that is negative about California, I have not gotten ONCE any remarks or replies from natives who react like "what do you know you've only been here for less than two years. One of my jobs, requires being on the road, and collecting data at various locations, (in addition to teaching geography), I lead hikes through the regions mountain peaks and canyons. For the most part, I get positive responses from people who have been there all their lives, as if they are getting a fresh perspective from a transplant.

The "what do you know, you never actually lived there" to me is the equivalent of "you're a retard and you should just give up." My passion and purpose in life is to teach people that you CAN know what other places are like by analyzing geographic information. Climate data, topographic maps, demographic data.

Just thought you should know.
This is the same guy who ragged on me for living near sacramento, who then promptly declared it underrated when he moved to la. Even though he had never set foot in the city. It appears he knows just as little about chicago. Tex il, your act is phony and tired. Typical of a transplant in la.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Welcome to Pilsen, I mean... Greenpoint.

BK Industries

While they share almost no resemblance in feel or vibe now, it will be more exaggerated difference once Greenpoint Landing is built.

While I've already said some areas can share an aesthetic similarity, Pilsen isn't one of those places. Besides, from my understanding Chicago has better Mexican food, so in this case, why not an NYC version of Pilsen?
I wouldn't have thought to make the Greenpoint-Pilsen comparison, but now that I think about it, they are gentrifying similarly. The difference is that in Greenpoint it's Polish rather than Mexican immigrant families being pushed out; and of course Greenpoint borders Williamsburg, which is like Wicker Park on steroids, so it's changing more quickly than Pilsen. Maybe Ukrainian Village would be a better comparison to Greenpoint than Pilsen is.

Funny enough, the second of your two pictures actually looks quite a lot like Pilsen (18th St.) or a handful of other Chicago locations, to me. The Manhattan skyline in the first one obviously makes it slightly difficult to view it as anything in Chicago, though.

Greenpoint when it was less gentrified used to remind me of parts of Chicago due to the Polish influence. I believe it had, and possibly still has, the highest concentration of Polish of anywhere in the U.S. outside of Chicago.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,937,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Funny enough, the second of your two pictures actually looks quite a lot like Pilsen (18th St.) or a handful of other Chicago locations, to me
I was about to make the same observation. Maybe not many or any other streets in Pilsen but it does look like 18th Street in a spot or two..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
Some better looks

http://perfectstrangersofnyc.com/wp-...treet-View.jpg

http://townhouse-therapy.com/assets/Uploads/gp64.JPG

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7124/7...19ddccb0_k.jpg

side streets
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3014/2...eb81926f_z.jpg

There is going to be a large high rise project here...

http://cdn.brownstoner.com/wp-conten...ite-090613.jpg

will fill in like this supposedly, 10 30-40 story buildings and 5,500 new apartments plus a few smaller buildings.

http://freewilliamsburg.com/wp-conte...nt-landing.jpg

might have to refresh those last 2 after clicking for some reason..

Pilsen has it's own character, you don't often see this combination of architecture in Greenpoint or surrounding areas of Brooklyn

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/93/239...76438282_b.jpg
http://farm1.staticflickr.com/96/240...83edb8c5_b.jpg

different vibes at street level

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/89/240...d22b463a_b.jpg

but Pilsen does have a bit more of an urban aesthetic than other parts of Chicago... so could see some the parallel

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/90/241...d3529aa6_b.jpg

reminds me of the Uptown look there a bit...

but you might find this polish "sassage" in greenpoint... or something similar.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/95/240...787e5f06_o.jpg

Last edited by grapico; 12-09-2013 at 10:30 PM..

Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM

Here's a few of my experience with NYers and specifically in the Near North Side (i.e. River North, Streeterville, etc) and Loop area. I'm not saying all of Chicago is like this, or even more than just a little bit, but this is a few of my experiences.

My mom is from right outside of Manhattan, first time she was here she remarked that it reminded her a little of parts of Manhattan. Same as my uncle, who's a born and bred guy from Queens. Had some friends in last year from Manhattan, one of them has never lived anywhere else. In fact, this was her first trip outside of the east coast. She's lived in NYC all her life. She spaced out once on State and around Grand and remarked "weird, for a minute I thought we were in midtown." When we were taking a cab through Michigan Ave once, she said "Reminds me of NYC..kind of like 5th." Another time I was walking on State just north of the Chicago red line stop and heard someone infront of me say "I feel like I'm back in Brooklyn." I've met a handful of people in the last 6 months who moved here from NYC. When I ask them how they like it so far, they've all mentioned this area reminding them of parts of NYC.

I'm not saying Chicago is like NYC, there's other things than just besides look, but in my experience, there are some areas that a born and bred NYer will even say reminds them a little of their home city. Not tons of areas, but yes some.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That does look a little like a small part of 18th St in Pilsen..not gonna lie, but with more uniformity. The other pics not so much (though 18th and Ashland has a few interesting buildings).

There is a group on Facebook called Forgotten Chicago, which I recommend any history buff check out. It's a group, not a page, but there's over 13,000 members. A lot of pictures being thrown around on it from back in the day. I'd say that there are for sure low rise places from what I've seen, that were more akin to NYC back in the day than they are today. A lot of torn down stuff, often replaced with less dense stuff even though today it maybe appear dense. Actually I think it's a shame. I was looking at a pic of the area across from Holy Name around State & Chicago and there were a bunch of row home/business buildings there. Today? Parking lot belonging to the Archdiocese.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Here's a few of my experience with NYers and specifically in the Near North Side (i.e. River North, Streeterville, etc) and Loop area. I'm not saying all of Chicago is like this, or even more than just a little bit, but this is a few of my experiences.

My mom is from right outside of Manhattan, first time she was here she remarked that it reminded her a little of parts of Manhattan. Same as my uncle, who's a born and bred guy from Queens. Had some friends in last year from Manhattan, one of them has never lived anywhere else. In fact, this was her first trip outside of the east coast. She's lived in NYC all her life. She spaced out once on State and around Grand and remarked "weird, for a minute I thought we were in midtown." When we were taking a cab through Michigan Ave once, she said "Reminds me of NYC..kind of like 5th." Another time I was walking on State just north of the Chicago red line stop and heard someone infront of me say "I feel like I'm back in Brooklyn." I've met a handful of people in the last 6 months who moved here from NYC. When I ask them how they like it so far, they've all mentioned this area reminding them of parts of NYC.

I'm not saying Chicago is like NYC, there's other things than just besides look, but in my experience, there are some areas that a born and bred NYer will even say reminds them a little of their home city. Not tons of areas, but yes some.
I can see the similarity. NYC is like Chicago, but on a much larger scale. Both are world class cities. We don't have the equivalent of a Times Square though. Another thing is we don't have any big cities nearby that are worth visiting. The closest thing would be Milwaukee. If you live in NYC, you have Atlantic City, Boston, Philadelphia, etc.

I was in NYC over the summer and I loved it! I wish I have the money to live out there.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:41 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,602,043 times
Grapico, those street-level pics of Pilsen are several years old. When discussing rapidly-evolving neighborhoods, it doesn't do much good to use new pics of one and old pics of the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago