Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:58 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times

Advertisements

Not to mention most of the new construction on the west side is sh*t, and probably work $50k anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 07:08 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The auto industry didn't move to the sunbelt because the Jim Crow laws were banned but because of th
e labor unions in the industrial north and the ''right to work'' states in the non-union south. Jim Crow were outlawed 50 years ago.

If we as a nation killed Detroit, who is to blame for Chicago's financial woes? Detroit is a warning signal for other U.S. cities, especially Chicago. Odd that the death throes cities of Cleveland, Baltimore or St. Louis are not in the dire financial straits Chicago got itself into.
actually all i was saying is the South had to change conditions for growth to take place. race relations did improve to the point where industry could be attracted and so was the availability of A/C important to the process.

Detroit is not a warning to other cities based on what it did to itself. It is not responsible for the hollowing out of its manufacturing base and the run of whites to suburbia. We, as a nation, gutted Detroit and in the process, we gutted ourselves. I'll repeat what I've said before: New York was never-so-strong as it was when Detroit was strong and helped gear a robust economy where people had money in their pockets and thus made it circulate. Today's economy is actually bigger but far more meaningless: it only works for a few.

Chicago is meaningless as an municipality. Cities do not mean what is in city limits. Cities mean metro areas and Chicago's economy is based on how the metro area functions. Besides, today's cities have very limited power and their governments hold far less control over their destinies than was once the case. Besides, all cities and states are hurt by what has happened to federal funding. Cities today are more about streets and sans and police and water than about anything else; they have few powers.

You live in a nation that has a virtually non-functioning government (look at congressional approval ratings that are in single digits) and you're worrying about Chicago's "dire financial straits".

So on that record…..NYC, SF, Chgo, LA, Bost, Wash, etc……..are in the same boat with all those Clevelands, Detroits, and Baltimores out there.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:13 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
The revolution should be started by the ''givers'' (the taxpayers) against the ''takers''.
Just love your compassion, Kamms. I guess Romney was right about that "47%". And, of course, Romney himself is a giver, not a taker (despite the fact that he lives very nicely on capital gains which are taxed so lightly as compared to the work done by the "takers" who often struggle to make ends meet despite working long hours at low pay). No people pay a larger percentage of their money in taxes than the poor who virtually have to spend all they buy to survive, thus paying an extraordinary amount of their income on sales taxes; and often their income tax %'s are far higher than the rich because the rich have their tax loop holes and the ability to benefit from capital gains.

seasons greetings and best tidings to you, Kamms, and to your Dickensian uncle and your Aunt Ayn, as well. Bah, humbug…Shrug, Atlas…...and let them eat cake.

And if you believe that the income inequality of the United States can't bring down the whole system, the whole house of cards, well, more power to you.

PS: as a liberal and progressive (and damned happy I am), I know no liberal or progressive who wishes to see people scam the system by not working get paid for it. You have invented a straw man.

And one more point: as a liberal and progressive, I don't view conservatives as my enemies and I don't believe in blaming them for every ill of society. I believe a society is far healthier if it has all those voices out there, the full spectrum from the far left to the far right….and they all have a voice in the process; I'm better off when people who completely disagree with me have the full voice that I do in the system and would be hurt if they did not. Hell, I'm not even sure "liberal" and "conservative" have much meaning any more. I hear so many conservatives speak of the Republican party as theirs and the Democrats as the enemy. Well, I have news for you: very few liberal or progressive people would consider themselves to be Democrats, see that as their party (for the record: we no longer have one) and basically see Democrats as "GOP Lite", generally differing with the Republicans on social issues but very much in bed with them and with the corporations that they both support on economic ones. Indeed, it would be very hard for a liberal or progressive to be a real Obama supporter today because he hardly represents our issues.

Last edited by edsg25; 12-23-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 12-23-2013, 10:50 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Oh shut your trap. What do you have to say about people like the Pritzkers getting TIF money??? What you're describing above is HARDLY where the majority of the TIF money is going. Besides, the city had to pay for its racist public housing debacle, so perhaps the above was part of the remedy.

God, some of you people on here need a clue.
Didn't say that's where most of the TIF money went; I'm sure Commerce Secretary Pritzker and cohorts got plenty of TIF money but TIF funds were designed for people like the Pritzkers. Throwing away money is not a part of any remedy. The ''connected'' contractors on these projects pocketed 1/2 the purchase price from the City just as most business is conducted in the Windy City. As if these new ''projects'' weren't racist as well. So, you think the remedy is replacing public housing by placing people in new construction townhomes with mortgages and city grant money, both of which are being wiped out as losses of about $275k on just one home.

Please come up with a better remedy for ''racist public housing'' that building new taxpayer financed ghost towns.

Some people have to scrape and save to earn things; others don't. Pretty basic.

Some of you people on here need a clue.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Just love your compassion, Kamms. I guess Romney was right about that "47%". And, of course, Romney himself is a giver, not a taker (despite the fact that he lives very nicely on capital gains which are taxed so lightly as compared to the work done by the "takers" who often struggle to make ends meet despite working long hours at low pay). No people pay a larger percentage of their money in taxes than the poor who virtually have to spend all they buy to survive, thus paying an extraordinary amount of their income on sales taxes; and often their income tax %'s are far higher than the rich because the rich have their tax loop holes and the ability to benefit from capital gains.

seasons greetings and best tidings to you, Kamms, and to your Dickensian uncle and your Aunt Ayn, as well. Bah, humbug…Shrug, Atlas…...and let them eat cake.

And if you believe that the income inequality of the United States can't bring down the whole system, the whole house of cards, well, more power to you.

PS: as a liberal and progressive (and damned happy I am), I know no liberal or progressive who wishes to see people scam the system by not working get paid for it. You have invented a straw man.

And one more point: as a liberal and progressive, I don't view conservatives as my enemies and I don't believe in blaming them for every ill of society. I believe a society is far healthier if it has all those voices out there, the full spectrum from the far left to the far right….and they all have a voice in the process; I'm better off when people who completely disagree with me have the full voice that I do in the system and would be hurt if they did not. Hell, I'm not even sure "liberal" and "conservative" have much meaning any more. I hear so many conservatives speak of the Republican party as theirs and the Democrats as the enemy. Well, I have news for you: very few liberal or progressive people would consider themselves to be Democrats, see that as their party (for the record: we no longer have one) and basically see Democrats as "GOP Lite", generally differing with the Republicans on social issues but very much in bed with them and with the corporations that they both support on economic ones. Indeed, it would be very hard for a liberal or progressive to be a real Obama supporter today because he hardly represents our issues.
Enjoy paying Chicago's $32 billion graft and waste debt bill and the state's $88 billion bill. It has nothing to do with your progressive this or conservative that, no one cares. Waste is waste.

I am aware about the tax structure; it's hard for most people to live today. I don't see how throwing away any money is acceptable when you give people money and debt that will never be paid off. And trust me, this is Chicago, the incentive was to let ''connected'' contractors in on the TIF money pot by building these homes, burdening unqualified homeowners with mortgages and walking away. Now all those mortgages are in foreclosure. I don't get how there could be a division among liberals, conservatives or progressives that doing this is somehow OK. All those poor people are back out looking for homes again. Thousands had been relocated by mortgage scams on buildings that went into foreclosure.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

By ''takers'' I meant opportunists that leach onto the publicly funding programs and not the truly needed. A revolt by the givers against the opportunist scammers.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:11 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Didn't say that's where most of the TIF money went; I'm sure Commerce Secretary Pritzker and cohorts got plenty of TIF money but TIF funds were designed for people like the Pritzkers.
Oh really? Please tell me where this TIF policy came from, because I am not aware.

Quote:
As if these new ''projects'' weren't racist as well.
Racism must look mighty different perched atop a mountain of privilege.

Quote:
So, you think the remedy is replacing public housing by placing people in new construction townhomes with mortgages and city grant money, both of which are being wiped out as losses of about $275k on just one home.
It's the least the city can do, given its racist present and past.

Quote:
Please come up with a better remedy for ''racist public housing'' that building new taxpayer financed ghost towns.
Deinstitutionalize racism. And no, I'm not going to get into specifics. You can do some homework and come up with those on your own. Bigots are always hollering about being a "taxpayer". Wah wah wah, I have to pay taxes and can't pick and choose where the money goes. WAH WAH WAH WAH.

Give me a break.

Quote:
Some people have to scrape and save to earn things; others don't.
Now this is where we can agree, except our "some people" differ. SOME PEOPLE are used to others being in an position BENEATH them, and it THREATENS them when those "beneath" start gaining traction. Pretty basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago