Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
If that is the case there truly is far less similarity and it'd be hard to make the case.
I'm just comparing recent pictures of one neighborhood with recent visits to the other. You're comparing the same recent pics of one with old pics of the other. Based on current-to-current comparisons between those two neighborhoods, based on the things I listed, they have some obvious similarities. Other posters apparently noticed it, too. That's all. The end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,389,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

There is a group on Facebook called Forgotten Chicago, which I recommend any history buff check out. It's a group, not a page, but there's over 13,000 members. A lot of pictures being thrown around on it from back in the day. I'd say that there are for sure low rise places from what I've seen, that were more akin to NYC back in the day than they are today. A lot of torn down stuff, often replaced with less dense stuff even though today it maybe appear dense. Actually I think it's a shame. I was looking at a pic of the area across from Holy Name around State & Chicago and there were a bunch of row home/business buildings there. Today? Parking lot belonging to the Archdiocese.
One of the biggest differences between Chicago and NYC, is how much of our architecture was destroyed in the name of "urban renewal", where as in NYC, much of the city's buildings have been untouched for 100 years.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
One of the biggest differences between Chicago and NYC, is how much of our architecture was destroyed in the name of "urban renewal", where as in NYC, much of the city's buildings have been untouched for 100 years.
Yep, precisely. It sucks how much Chicago has taken away and sometimes it's not just to build something over it. A lot of those vacant lots in town did used to be something. I attended the Center for Neighborhood Technology's anniversary event which had a speaker from NYU talking about this and how (I forget who) wanted to build a highway through part of NYC that would have destroyed a lof of neighborhoods but luckily it didn't. I was also at a small film event in Logan Square a few weeks ago for "Vanishing Chicago" that showed 3 old films - one was about urban renewal in the 60s, another was about some of Greektown being destroyed in the 50s and the last one was in the 70s in Lincoln Park when DePaul started building their stuff and gentrifying that area. Very interesting films.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Yep, precisely. It sucks how much Chicago has taken away and sometimes it's not just to build something over it. A lot of those vacant lots in town did used to be something. I attended the Center for Neighborhood Technology's anniversary event which had a speaker from NYU talking about this and how (I forget who) wanted to build a highway through part of NYC that would have destroyed a lof of neighborhoods but luckily it didn't. I was also at a small film event in Logan Square a few weeks ago for "Vanishing Chicago" that showed 3 old films - one was about urban renewal in the 60s, another was about some of Greektown being destroyed in the 50s and the last one was in the 70s in Lincoln Park when DePaul started building their stuff and gentrifying that area. Very interesting films.
There was a proposal in the '60s I believe to build a cross-town highway through Manhattan that would have effectively destroyed the neighborhood of SoHo, Luckily it was blocked. SoHo is arguably one of (if not the) most unique neighborhoods visually in the country. I want to punch babies when I see what was destroyed in Chicago

Old 12-10-2013, 02:06 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
There was a proposal in the '60s I believe to build a cross-town highway through Manhattan that would have effectively destroyed the neighborhood of SoHo, Luckily it was blocked. SoHo is arguably one of (if not the) most unique neighborhoods visually in the country. I want to punch babies when I see what was destroyed in Chicago
Yeah, that was the one the guy talked about (http://gallatin.nyu.edu/academics/faculty/jkt1.html). He also talked about how some people are moving back into area their ancestors used to live - really small places even just so they can know a little bit of what they went through.

The film about Greektown's old location showed images of the old neighborhood and it looked great. Would have loved to experienced that. I wish I could have known what else was torn down because of these freeways in Chicago. It's a shame and luckily there are organizations out there working to landmark ertain buildings still and to block this from happening to things that have given chicago an identity for a long time. I would have loved to see Little Italy before UIC's campus was built there.

There are a few more enclaves that would have been interesting. In the Gold Coast or near it was a big Japanese enclave up until Sandburg Village was built and then they moved to the burbs. Also as many of us know, the area around Cabrini Green was Little Sicily too.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Robert Moses was one Moses who wasn't going to lead his people to better cities. along with that one, he also had plans for a transmanhattan expressway from the queensboro bridge to the lincoln tunnel. to make matters worse, he had a giant (pun intended) hand in knocking the Dodgers out of Brooklyn (hey, the Giants just went along for the ride)

Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that was the one the guy talked about (http://gallatin.nyu.edu/academics/faculty/jkt1.html). He also talked about how some people are moving back into area their ancestors used to live - really small places even just so they can know a little bit of what they went through.

The film about Greektown's old location showed images of the old neighborhood and it looked great. Would have loved to experienced that. I wish I could have known what else was torn down because of these freeways in Chicago. It's a shame and luckily there are organizations out there working to landmark ertain buildings still and to block this from happening to things that have given chicago an identity for a long time. I would have loved to see Little Italy before UIC's campus was built there.

There are a few more enclaves that would have been interesting. In the Gold Coast or near it was a big Japanese enclave up until Sandburg Village was built and then they moved to the burbs. Also as many of us know, the area around Cabrini Green was Little Sicily too.
you mean the sanitized/disneyfied version of the remains of Hull House doesn't do the trick for you?

Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Penn Station's destruction alone should have them wallowing in shame.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Penn Station's destruction alone should have them wallowing in shame.
I agree. New York destroyed some great buildings, but not to the scale of chicago. Much of NYC is unchanged (architecturally) than it was 100 years ago.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I wouldn't have thought to make the Greenpoint-Pilsen comparison, but now that I think about it, they are gentrifying similarly.
And that's your similarity? A neighborhood in Berlin and another in Indianapolis and a third in Osaka are all gentrifying somewhat (which means getting better rather than worse, a characteristic probably shared by 80% of the urban neighborhoods on earth), and you find them similar on that basis alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago