Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,784,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh having had a population boom in the 1800s a little earlier, while not going on for miles do have a neighborhoods of rowhouses a little more than Chicago, despite their overall much smaller population and population density.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM

5,977 posts, read 13,117,372 times
Mind explaining the mailman?

Old 11-15-2013, 08:26 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh having had a population boom in the 1800s a little earlier, while not going on for miles do have a neighborhoods of rowhouses a little more than Chicago, despite their overall much smaller population and population density.
I agree. The most "east coast" looking area to me in the Midwest is Over the Rhine in Cincinnati. It's basically all row houses and tenement style buildings like you would see in an older neighborhood in NYC. There is nothing in Chicago that really looks like this.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.11050...185.39,,0,0.72

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.11074...44.52,,0,-2.42

As far as Chicago goes, there is a lot of density all over but it does not have that east coast look to it. The densest areas are on the North Side, from downtown all the way up to Rogers Park. Some west and northwest neighborhoods are also very dense. I suppose to most people the most "NYC feeling" areas are problably the Loop, River North, and the Gold Coast.

Last edited by 5Lakes; 11-15-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,419,948 times
Nothing in Chicago really feels super similar to Brooklyn (or NYC in general).

If you're asking what's the densest non-downtown neighborhood, the answer would be the North Side lakefront neighborhoods. Probably East Lakeview is the densest, but it has its own unique look. No one would mistake it for a neighborhood in NYC.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:42 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,913,587 times
There are areas that have more row homes and the building density is denser than other areas of Chicago. For example, the area of Old Town (or is it Lincoln Park?) north of North Avenue has higher tighter building density, row homes, etc. I'm talking about at like Sedgwick and Willow. It was an area unaffected by the fire of 1871, so the buildings there adhere to a different building code and are closer together. There are other parts north of there in Lincoln Park where there are row homes too. I find those areas more akin to places like Boston though instead of NYC.

Cincinnati does look more like what they're looking for, but you can still find shades of it in Chicago in a few areas. There are sections of town where rowhomes do still exist but not ones that go on for like 6 blocks.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:47 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,803 times
Wow! How interesting Cincinnati has that sort of architecture. I wonder how it landed there that way.

I have to say though I think the rowhomes in Chicago are architecturally prettier than those of the East Coast, but I wish they weren't so spread out.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow! How interesting Cincinnati has that sort of architecture. I wonder how it landed there that way.
Cincinnati has a lot of Germany heritage and is still by a large margin the top heritage in that city. The thing with Chicago is that there were parts that did look more like Europe awhile ago. Then for some of it, the fire of 1871 happened and they could re-invent the city. Other areas of town may not have been burned down, but for whatever reason some areas were torn down years later. I think Chicago from pictures looked more European too when it had the huge street car system in many areas too. Funny enough, I believe Chicago at one point had one of the largest street railway system in the entire world before the 1950s.

As I mentioned before though, there are some areas of town in Chicago, small areas, that have kind of preserved this in small doses.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:44 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
We have gangways, alleys and often (usually perhaps) grass between the buildings and the sidewalks and the sidewalks and the street. By the time Chicago was built Americans realized they had huge amounts of room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
We mostly have separated apartment buildings instead of rowhouses.

Areas that boomed in the 1920s, such as Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park, Hyde Park, and South Shore look like parts of Brooklyn that boomed in the same time (Brighton Beach and East Flatbush come to mind), though our apartment buildings are capped at 4 stories instead of your 6. I do think these outer neighborhoods look much better in Chicago than yours, though maybe the prairie-style buildings and the gobs of trees just make them feel like home to me.
Chicago has 3-4 flats throughout the city with gangways but also different flats which butt up to
another building. Some remaining rowhouses in the NY sense are;

Pullman: Unique Historic Town in Chicago Neighborhood | Urban Splatter

Rare Lincoln Park Row House Hits the Market - Lincoln Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago

Old 11-15-2013, 05:15 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,671 times
Dense area = hard to find parking for your car! NYC is nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. There's still a lot of people in Chicago to people watch too. If I won a $100 million + lotto I'd surely visit NYC for 8 weeks maybe.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:22 PM

You don't need $100 million to visit NYC for 8 weeks..LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago