Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 PM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow! How interesting Cincinnati has that sort of architecture. I wonder how it landed there that way.

I have to say though I think the rowhomes in Chicago are architecturally prettier than those of the East Coast, but I wish they weren't so spread out.
Cincinnati was the first midwest city to become large.

Largest cities in the United States by population by decade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Wow! How interesting Cincinnati has that sort of architecture. I wonder how it landed there that way.

I have to say though I think the rowhomes in Chicago are architecturally prettier than those of the East Coast, but I wish they weren't so spread out.
Cincinnati was a boom town even before Chicago. More importantly, there were significant geographic constraints: the downtown/Over-The-Rhine/West End area is a basin surrounded by huge hills, big enough that the technology to integrate a settlement past them with the city did not exist in the 1860s. So in the established city, they built "up" instead of "out".

Old 12-07-2013, 09:15 PM

161 posts, read 699,466 times
I would say in terms of feel or look alongside density, parts of Hyde Park, Uptown, and the eastern sections of Lincoln Park and Lakeview East resemble parts of Prospect Lefferts, Windsor Terrace, and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn and Rego Park/Forest Hills/Kew Gardens and downtown Jamaica in Queens.

Honestly, to me, the most New York feeling neighborhoods in Chicago have always been Noble Square or Central Pilsen, the tenement look just feels like parts of Greenpoint or a slightly less dense version of East Village or East Harlem.

Most of Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan and all of the Bronx and Staten Island, look and feel very different from Chicago (except for maybe the Loop and a handful of blocks in North Streeterville and the Gold Coast could pass for certain parts of Manhattan).

They're often compared (especially by Chicagoans), but in many ways, New York and Chicago are very different cities.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Mind explaining the mailman?
Perhaps its the self proclaimed suburbanites who left the Midwest thinking they're experts on Chicago.

Yeah, I think that's it.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:33 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
You have to be a millionaire to live in NYC according to many people

Old 12-08-2013, 02:00 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well those many people are wrong.

Over 8 Million people in New York are not millionaires.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 AM

5,980 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Perhaps its the self proclaimed suburbanites who left the Midwest thinking they're experts on Chicago.

Yeah, I think that's it.
Yes, we all know that having an address immediately outside the city limits automatically makes one a rube, even if they were in the city frequently for work and for entertainment/socializing, because transportation and the internet don't exist.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:36 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
By the time Chicago was built Americans realized they had huge amounts of room.
agreed. except for a thoroughly packed in tip of a peninsula in San Francisco Bay. Even in the midwest, topography plays its part: relatively small Madison gives a real sense of density because it is crammed into an isthmus between two lakes.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:38 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Cincinnati was a boom town even before Chicago. More importantly, there were significant geographic constraints: the downtown/Over-The-Rhine/West End area is a basin surrounded by huge hills, big enough that the technology to integrate a settlement past them with the city did not exist in the 1860s. So in the established city, they built "up" instead of "out".
real settlement in the Midwest truly did begin along the banks of the Ohio.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:28 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
We'll according to many people humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth at the same time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago