Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times

Advertisements

Snow?! What happened to the palm trees that used to line the streets of Chicago when I was a kid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:48 AM

170 posts, read 535,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I look forward to winters and the peace and quiet it brings compared to the manic summertime. I love gentle snowfalls, Christmas shopping, all the lights, the crisp air, sledding, etc.
Where is a decent place for sledding? The only big hill I've seen is in Evanston, across from the Petsmart on Oakton... there is this massive hill and my husband and I seriously want to tackle it this winter. That is, if sledding is allowed. I don't mind that it may not be socially acceptable for us to sled

Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i blame history View Post
Where is a decent place for sledding? The only big hill I've seen is in Evanston, across from the Petsmart on Oakton... there is this massive hill and my husband and I seriously want to tackle it this winter. That is, if sledding is allowed. I don't mind that it may not be socially acceptable for us to sled
A couple of the parks have okay hills where sledding is allowed. There are a couple in Humboldt Park but the biggest is just to the south west of the field house next to the lagoon. There is also one on the south end of Oz Park between the baseball field and LPHS.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
I will quote myself from this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chica...not-bad-4.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
As a kid and teenager we always went to the Forest Preserve Caldwell Woods (Devon and Milwaukee). It is right across the street from Superdawg basically. The toboggan slides are not running anymore. But there are some great slopes to slide down there.

It does not help that John Stroger and Todd Stroger have let our Cook County Forest Preserve toboggan slides to fall into disrepair and then have torn down or shut down all of them in the last few years.

There are plenty of places in Cook County that have hills, but most are pretty far from the city or on the edge of the city.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:22 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
There's a dinky man-made hill near Montrose Beach called "Cricket Hill". It's small, but was actually constructed as a sledding hill according to Geoffery Baer. It might be fun for sledding if you're younger than five.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
There's a dinky man-made hill near Montrose Beach called "Cricket Hill"...It might be fun for sledding if you're younger than five.
Or if you used to go to those "gatherings" at Cricket Hill.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Where is a decent place for sledding? The only big hill I've seen is in Evanston,
Trust me, the bigger the hill, the less fun it is. What you want is something only 20-30 yards long and decently steep. Why? Its MUCH easier to trek back up, and allows for tons more runs downhill. I went sledding at Blackwell Forest Preserve once. Never will again. 3 trips up that hill and I was done. And this is coming from someone who hikes A LOT in the warmer months.

If you head out to the Fox Valley area, there are plenty of hills to sled on.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:08 AM

We still have not gotten any real amount of snow. Nothing has stuck. Not that I am missing it or anything.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
This is the first year ever that I've put winter tires on my car. I'm actually looking forward to giving them a good test run.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:12 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
I just want to throw a snow ball at my dad, for old times sake. It gets better the older they get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago