Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:34 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Will it? I think cops will be glad to get the message that they can stick to just busting people doing it totally flagrantly, like at Blues Fest.

Now, if they can somehow adopt "scratch and sniff" technology into the speed zone cameras so they can ticket you by smelling your weed fumage, totally new ballgame.
I was actually talking about the speed zone cameras that will be active come July, not pot laws. It's just another attempt to squeeze money out of the docile, sheepish masses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 03:07 PM

99 posts, read 136,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
People are already clueless creatures for the most part. Pot is not required.
I've seen straight A students become clueless on pot.

Pot is not a good drug, sorry!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,207,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer31 View Post

I've seen more straight A students become clueless on alcohol, but I wouldn't advocate bringing back prohibition.

In fact, for many teens cannabis is easier to acquire than alcohol because it's illegal. Pot dealers don't ask for ID.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I was actually talking about the speed zone cameras that will be active come July, not pot laws. It's just another attempt to squeeze money out of the docile, sheepish masses.
Gotcha. I agree, but you know, it's not like anybody is forced to drive stupid-fast, or park illegally, etc.

Chicagoans really seem to have a difficult time obeying the laws our own alderpeople approve. But when voter turnout is routinely no higher then 30% or so, why would an elected official care what the majority thinks when they can't even be bothered to vote?

Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Ya know, I'm not a fan of marijuana at all. Its just as bad as any other drug.

People that use it can't use it in public (Since its illegal to do so), so they become hermits on a Friday night and sit at home instead.

I can't tell you how many times in high school that people I knew would pass up doing fun stuff, because they felt that they couldn't smoke pot there. They always chose their stash of pot over their friends. The only way you could hang out with them is if you went to where they were at. No way would they meet up somewhere with you.

Pot turns people into clueless creatures and it gets annoying after the first 5 minutes of being around them. Especially if you don't smoke pot.
1) Judging how people act on the drug in high school is pointless. High school kids are usually lame anyway no matter what they're doing (no offense to HS kids).

2) The clueless creatures part again depends on who's doing it. It does that for some people, while it doesn't for others. I wouldn't put such a blanket statement on that.

If you want a drug that's terrible for you, make alcohol illegal. Here's an article detailing a study done and how Alcohol is the #1 most harmful drug above everything:
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/01...arm/index.html

Old 06-27-2012, 03:31 PM

99 posts, read 136,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I've seen more straight A students become clueless on alcohol, but I wouldn't advocate bringing back prohibition.

In fact, for many teens cannabis is easier to acquire than alcohol because it's illegal. Pot dealers don't ask for ID.
Teens shouldn't be smoking pot or drinking alcohol.

Also let me tell ya something.

People under the influence of pot is a totally different animal than a few drinks. I guarantee you that if you go into a place and have two drinks, instead of two joints, you would be much more coherent than if you had smoked pot.

Anyone can become incoherent when they drink alcohol. In moderation they are fine.

There is no moderation when people are pot heads.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Teens shouldn't be smoking pot or drinking alcohol.

Also let me tell ya something.

People under the influence of pot is a totally different animal than a few drinks. I guarantee you that if you go into a place and have two drinks, instead of two joints, you would be much more coherent than if you had smoked pot.

Anyone can become incoherent when they drink alcohol. In moderation they are fine.

There is no moderation when people are pot heads.
Right and there is no moderation when people are alcoholics.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Gotcha. I agree, but you know, it's not like anybody is forced to drive stupid-fast, or park illegally, etc.

Chicagoans really seem to have a difficult time obeying the laws our own alderpeople approve. But when voter turnout is routinely no higher then 30% or so, why would an elected official care what the majority thinks when they can't even be bothered to vote?
You have a point but these laws would pass even if the voter turnout were 80%. I can't wait to see the looks on people's faces when they are mailed a speeding ticket for driving 26 MPH in a school speed zone at 8:20PM on a weekday.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:38 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Ignorance is bliss. You are correct, but not in the ways you're thinking. I'd rather deal with someone who's about to pass out, or someone who is extremely calm and not be a nuisance than deal with some loud mouthed angry drunk who wants to fight over the most pointless, trivial things any second of the year.

Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Some of the most intelligent and successful people on Earth smoke pot. Alcohol is actually far worse for you as numerous scientific studies have shown.

I would rather deal with a person high on pot than a drunk anyday of the week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago