Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRise View Post
Anyway, back on topic for a second:

nyanna, you seem to have a really good head on your shoulders and from what I can tell from your posts, you are intelligent as well. The bests post in this thread, IMO, come from Indentured Servant. I think you should work on your confidence as well. Even if you have to fake it 'til you make it. If a guy doesn't like you because of your skin color it's his loss. Sometimes it's very hard not to internalize other people's opinion of us, but you have to remember that their "preferences" are a reflection of them, not you.
Thank you so much for the compliment.

The reason why I made this thread was because a few black women online who live in Chicago were stating that many of the black men were dating lightskin and mixed women. So, I wanted to know how true this is because I don't want to waste my time moving to a city that would just make me miserable if all this is going on

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. Presumably an infant has not been sufficiently "acculturated" to express any preference for "European standards of beauty." Our brains are biologically hard-wired to recognize attractive faces on sight.

Besides, even if there were a culturally-imposed standard of beauty, then how did it come to be? I mean, somebody had to decide who and what would be considered beautiful. Is it mere coincidence that a young, hot Jennifer Lopez inspired boners in men from Seattle to Hong Kong?
What do you think the neck rings are? That is a great example of cultural beauty and American men won't find that attractive because it is not part of our culture, but obviously someone in Thailand will find that attractive.

Beauty is cultural bro.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Disagree. There are plenty of black women who don't have small dainty noses that are still very attractive. You seem to list what White people think makes an attractive face.
Sorry. Men's desire for facial symmetry and skinny bodies is as unalterable as women's desire for tall men with squared jaws.

Scientists find formula for beautiful face - Telegraph

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM

499 posts, read 580,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bourgeois View Post
ok, point taken

regarding the pic: I honestly don't believe she looks like that. If she does, then something is really wrong. Something could have happened in her childhood. I don't know. I just know a woman that looks like the woman on that pic wouldn't have a hard time attracting any man. My mother was of dark skin and my father was of light skin. She was slim with high cheekbones and long hair. Some men have this color issue, but many do not.
I agree with you 100%! The young women really needs to change her attitude to men. She certainly needs to question her intentions of moving to Chicago just to meet a man. Where ever she goes she has to take herself and she seems to have very many hang-ups. I wish her luck!

Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM

140 posts, read 120,920 times
Quote:
So for the African American women that were born in America that date Caucasian men: Are they brain washed as well???
When I was posting that stuff before I was mad at black guys for publicly berating dark skinned women.

The media conditions black men to value non black women and neglect his own. Doing so naturally causes a rift between the sexes. Black women who can appeal to a variety of men will have no problems finding a non black guy, so this is typically who they end up with. But yes, black women are conditioned as well. White men are characterized as the savior of all races of women.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:47 AM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
I agree with you 100%! The young women really needs to change her attitude to men. She certainly needs to question her intentions of moving to Chicago just to meet a man. Where ever she goes she has to take herself and she seems to have very many hang-ups. I wish her luck!
I have to give African American women credit for supporting other African American women no matter how absurd the other woman's stance/position is. African American women are very loyal. If it wasn't for some of them, many of us wouldn't know where we would be today.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:50 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Thank you so much for the compliment.

The reason why I made this thread was because a few black women online who live in Chicago were stating that many of the black men were dating lightskin and mixed women. So, I wanted to know how true this is because I don't want to waste my time moving to a city that would just make me miserable if all this is going on
Just remember that the misery is on them, not on you.

Any man worth having won't use your skin tone against you.

I know many good dudes that the blackest of females will have to beat back with a stick. If you have a guy that is hung up on that then he isn't worth a damn anyways.

Things like, lifestyle, comfort, money and education are far more important and prioritizing.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
ok, point taken

regarding the pic: I honestly don't believe she looks like that. If she does, then something is really wrong. Something could have happened in her childhood. I don't know. I just know a woman that looks like the woman on that pic wouldn't have a hard time attracting any man. My mother was of dark skin and my father was of light skin. She was slim with high cheekbones and long hair. Some men have this color issue, but many do not.
I hate when people think just because someone is attractive, it makes everything like racism/colorism go away and your life should be perfect. It really doesn't. there have been many shows on national television featuring attractive and successful black women who had a tough time dating other successful Black men (because many choose to date IR), the women were not ugly, and were in good shape yet they still experienced the same obstacles that every other woman faced.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
The media conditions black men to value non black women and neglect his own. Doing so naturally causes a rift between the sexes.
The rift between the sexes, if there is one at all, is not caused by the media. The rift is caused by the frustration of losers of either gender who have failed to extract what they want from the dating game. And this definitely goes beyond race. For whatever reason, black women seem to believe that white women have it so good when they make the same "man shortage" complaints that black women do.

On College Campuses, a Shortage of Men - NYTimes.com

William Leith on why women over 40 are experiencing a 'man shortage' | Comment is free | The Guardian

Lori Gottlieb: On Settling for Mr. Good Enough

Old 01-02-2012, 10:55 AM

117 posts, read 128,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Just remember that the misery is on them, not on you.

Any man worth having won't use your skin tone against you.

I know many good dudes that the blackest of females will have to beat back with a stick. If you have a guy that is hung up on that then he isn't worth a damn anyways.

Things like, lifestyle, comfort, money and education are far more important and prioritizing.

"in this thread there are many ignorant individuals"?????????????

most people in this thread are actually trying to help her

most people in this thread are very supportive of her

most people in this thread have been posting since it started because we have compassion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago