Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 AM

28 posts, read 66,923 times

Advertisements

I have been living in chicago for 1 year on a three year contract for a firm. Besides the weather I really like the city, the skyline, the night life and there is always stuff to do. I have lived in Dallas, Socal,NY and Denver,because my job requires alot of travel.

One complaint I have about chicago is that interracial dating seems to be
more difficult here for a blk male then in other places I have lived. I love BLK woman and have dated a couple beautiful blk woman while I have been here,but i am use to being able to date all kinds of woman.
i thought Chicago would be a great place for this,I havent had any problems fitting in on the northside of Chicago socially,but the dating has been lackluster.

The white woman seem to be even suprised that your
even talking to them if they dont seem uncomfortable.
In socal even the really preppy/yuppy girls would atleast give you
a chance to make your case and even dance with you or make small talk
if they werent interested. In more conservative dallas the white woman were way more down to earth even though Chicago is suppoose to be
more progressive.

The spanish and asian woman are pretty much impossible to talk to
unlike dallas and denver. A few puerto rican girls have been freindly but that was a heavylift. Mexican and Asian girls seem impossible.

Im not really complaining though just dating beautiful BLK girls
for the next two years is not the worst thing in the world LOL
but I was wondering did anybody have any tips or explanation for this.

Last edited by mikestylez; 08-31-2011 at 12:01 PM..

Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestylez View Post
I have been living in chicago for 1 year on a three year contract for a firm. Besides the weather I really like the city, the skyline, the night life and there is always stuff to do. I have lived in Dallas, Socal,NY and Denver,because my job requires alot of travel.

more difficult here for a blk male then in other places I have lived. I love BLK woman and have dated a couple beautiful blk woman while I have been here,but i am use to being able to date all kinds of woman.
i thought Chicago would be a great place for this,I havent had any problems fitting in on the northside of Chicago socially,but the dating has been lackluster.

if they werent interested. In more conservative dallas the white woman were way more down to earth even though Chicago is suppoose to be
more progressive.

unlike dallas and denver. A few puerto rican girls have been freindly but that was a heavylift. Mexican and Asian girls seem impossible.

Is this supposed to be a joke?????????

There are interracial couples all over the place around Chicago, no one I know has any problems dating interracially.

And why you would think a more liberal city would be better then a conservative one when it comes to mixing of ethnic backgrounds is beyond me also.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM

867 posts, read 1,371,928 times
Welcome to Chicago buddy! Next to Boston....meh forget it!

Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Sorry you're having trouble, but that's not something I saw personally while living in Chicago.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:

more progressive.

Socal, Denver, and Dallas have a significantly higher percentage of transplants from a wider geographic distant with its amenities more geographically spread out.

When people that come from all over, with less of an existing social network of friends and family they are more open to making new friends in general. And when you have to drive all over the metro area for shopping, entertainment, cultural amenities, etc. it may force people to expand their geographic horizons beyond their comfort zone.

Since, the city of Chicago is so large and dense people which might also be intimidate, more people feel more comfortable when in large existing groups, and if you don't already have a network it may be very difficult to break into them. The more sprawling, warmer, and newer cities that are more transplant oriented, it may be easier to make friends from scratch period.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM

928 posts, read 1,713,236 times
Is there a reason this refusal I've seen around here to spell out the word "black"?

Old 08-31-2011, 01:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Is there a reason this refusal I've seen around here to spell out the word "black"?
I always assumed it referred to a subset of black people who didn't like A/C.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM

28 posts, read 66,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Is this supposed to be a joke?????????

There are interracial couples all over the place around Chicago, no one I know has any problems dating interracially.

And why you would think a more liberal city would be better then a conservative one when it comes to mixing of ethnic backgrounds is beyond me also.

I work in downtown chicago,I dont see the frequency of interracial
relatationships I saw in denver, socal and dallas.

I mean denver is like 7% blk and Chicago is like 30%
BLK,but you see way more BLK/wht couples per capita
in Denver. Im comparing Chicago to other cities.

In regards to liberal vs conservative. Liberal tend to be believe
in cultural relativity more so than conservatives,while conservatives tend to expect people to assimilate to their culture, for their acceptance.

Example liberal white people might have less of a problem with a blk guy talking slang or a spanish guy speaking some broken english or spanish. A conservative might expect them to conform(learn english),becuase conservative tend to believe there cultural values are absolute. exp. This expalins why conservatives tend to express their patrotism more loudly. then liberals

Old 08-31-2011, 01:54 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,988,595 times
Where are you trying to meet women? I think a lot of attractive women are not that interested in meeting men at clubs and bars, but are more open at activities for shared interests, like coed sports leagues, etc.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,427 times
Quote:
I work in downtown chicago,I dont see the frequency of interracial
relatationships I saw in denver, socal and dallas.

I mean denver is like 7% blk and Chicago is like 30%
BLK,but you see way more BLK/wht couples per capita
in Denver. Im comparing Chicago to other cities.

In regards to liberal vs conservative. Liberal tend to be believe
in cultural relativity more so than conservatives,while conservatives tend to expect people to assimilate to their culture, for their acceptance.

Example liberal white people might have less of a problem with a blk guy talking slang or a spanish guy speaking some broken english or spanish. A conservative might expect them to conform(learn english),becuase conservative tend to believe there cultural values are absolute. exp. This expalins why conservatives tend to express their patrotism more loudly. then liberals
While I am not going to argue about the conservative vs. liberal in this thread, but maybe you are not looking hard enough. I work all over the Chicago area. North, South, Downtown, West. all the Burbs etc... I see interracial couples quite often.

But, it isnt even the fact that you was claiming to rarely see mixed couples, but the way you are making it seem as if how white women are towards black men. Which is completely wrong. I think maybe you are looking for a reason for chicago to be the way you imagine it, because it isnt that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago