Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxCub Fan View Post
Exactly....you didnt see that one coming

Now find another way to spin the truth...you have all day Drover, you're pretty smart....Im sure you can come up with something.
Dude... you really, really need to get a grip.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,364 times
I agree with some of whats been said, as far as wasp vs polish irish dominated.
I think the reason for ther racial tensions stems from irish and polish dominations.
In the 1930's polish, irish and blks competed for jobs in the meat packing districts
and back of the yards. Irish people were very protective because, they had been
discrimiated against for so long. These people have passed some of that
resentment down to their grandkids. this explains why their so much more tension on the southwest.

@soxcubs I agree with some of your analysis, but I think Schaumburg,Aurora,boilingbrook,
Evanston and the river oaks area,are the best bet for a interracial hook up. Here is my analysis
of northwest suburban people. There are two tiers there are elites suburbanites those who are
liberal but have an elite self esteem,because they are richer and were the most popular kids in high school. These are the type of ppl who move to LP, Then theres the second tier of just middleclass
or working middlclass suburban white kids who just grew up there that are liberals
but dont have an elititest feel to them, these girls are morel ikely to interracial dating.
These kids are more likely to stay in the burbs or move to places like WP(hipster) or bucktown

LP also has alot of kids who are from smalltowns in the midwest who believe
chicago just consist of LP and downtown,and blk ppl dont really exsist in their
reality. and they brignt some of that smalltown cultural bias to chicago
and thats the cause of alot problem im LP.

You are right about avoiding girls from the chicago mindset which is why rush/division tends to have
a better vibe then LP or Lakeview, because alot of metropolitian transplant, foreigners, tourist
and openminded subburbanites party there.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:27 AM

28 posts, read 66,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I lived in chicago for 14 yrs and I am a blk male,and compared to other places.
It is hard to get a white girl that does not frequent predominantly blk social events.
Or the white girls who are heavy into the hip hop scene. The BM/WF couples in chicagoi probably have the WF
of that social fabric. Im assuming the OP is an professional, and if he lives on the northside,he is probably encountering more professional/yuppy type white girls,who do not have an affinity for AA culture. They probably just assumes that he is so culturally different,that they dont give hi a shot. Dallas has been the second city for the highest number of interracial marriages for awhile. The reason I think this because dallas has a huge AA and mexican middleclass,and they also have a white underclass

Dallas is also more intergrated,so people tend to treat you by your class more so then your race.
In regards to latinas in chicago you have more 1st generation latinas. Texas you have more 2nd or 3rd generation. These girls are more americanized and less reclusive. The same comparison goes for asian girls on the westcoast compared to the ones in chicago.

Tips for interracial dating in chicago. Bucktown,Hyde park, Uptown,Rogers parks, Edge water and maybe WP(because hipster are usually more cultural accepting of others then yuppies.
are the best hoods to have some successs with white woman. Rogers park,Logansquare,humbodlt park
if you want a latina(aim for a rican girls mexican chicks even up north are difficult)

The southside its nearly impossible racial tensions in bridgeport and southwest chicago are just to high.
You might have some success in the south suburbs preferable the southeast(riveroaks over orland mall)

Your best bet for success are the western and northern burbs(aurora,napperville,boilingbrook
and schaumburg). These places have more people who are open to interracial dating. You might even find an asian chick in boilingbrook(wouldnt count on it).The latinas in the burbs are alot more freindly
to AA dudes then the city,not texas freindly though. Evanston and oakpark should also be tried as well.

White girls in LP are impossible,in Lakeview you might have some success if you are cosigned
by other white people,but its difficult. Downtown night clubs you should have a decent shot
but no place in chitown will give you the frequency of interracial hookups as socal when it comes to
non-blk girls who dont have an affinity for hiphop urban culture.

Thanks alot this was the kind of post I was looking for, can you name me some particular landmarks or places I should go, but I def will check out those neighborhoods and suburbs.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:40 AM

818 posts, read 2,171,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Sorry about your experiences. From what I've seen, most women have a specific idea in their head of who they'd want to be with and if you don't fit that description then they are hesitant to open up with you. It goes for race, but also a lot of other things, too. Maybe it's like this in other cities, but it makes sense that it'd be more prominent in Chicago, since women are aware that they have a much larger pool of potential mates to pull from. My advice to you is actually to go to bars/clubs with more of a black crowd, since the non-black women may be there specifically because they're interested in black men (I know girls that do this).
And the prevalence of online dating has made it worse I think. Not only does it show people just how many people in the city they have to chose from (getting more than five matches a day), but it also kind of programs that mentality. Almost every online dating service has some kind of a filter device based on specified criteria. And, if you are too ashamed to say something flat out (like, I won't date a guy who is less than 6' tall), you can filter it yourself when you get matched.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:43 AM

5,976 posts, read 13,114,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I agree with some of whats been said, as far as wasp vs polish irish dominated.
I think the reason for ther racial tensions stems from irish and polish dominations.
In the 1930's polish, irish and blks competed for jobs in the meat packing districts
and back of the yards. Irish people were very protective because, they had been
discrimiated against for so long. These people have passed some of that
resentment down to their grandkids. this explains why their so much more tension on the southwest.

@soxcubs I agree with some of your analysis, but I think Schaumburg,Aurora,boilingbrook,
Evanston and the river oaks area,are the best bet for a interracial hook up. Here is my analysis
of northwest suburban people. There are two tiers there are elites suburbanites those who are
liberal but have an elite self esteem,because they are richer and were the most popular kids in high school. These are the type of ppl who move to LP, Then theres the second tier of just middleclass
or working middlclass suburban white kids who just grew up there that are liberals
but dont have an elititest feel to them, these girls are morel ikely to interracial dating.
These kids are more likely to stay in the burbs or move to places like WP(hipster) or bucktown

LP also has alot of kids who are from smalltowns in the midwest who believe
chicago just consist of LP and downtown,and blk ppl dont really exsist in their
reality. and they brignt some of that smalltown cultural bias to chicago
and thats the cause of alot problem im LP.

You are right about avoiding girls from the chicago mindset which is why rush/division tends to have
a better vibe then LP or Lakeview, because alot of metropolitian transplant, foreigners, tourist
and openminded subburbanites party there.
I agree with just about everything you said here, with a couple exceptions.

While the northwest suburbs are a little more cosmopolitan are a closer to an abundance of white collared jobs, there still are many people that have quite of a bit of the blue collared Polish, Italian, and Irish roots with a bit of the xenophobia that you are referring to that is present in the southwest side/suburbs. It is however more mixed and diluted with a wider range of people.

I will also say that the young people that move to LP, Lakeview, Downtown, etc., etc. more often than not are not exactly from small towns.

More often than not they come from some of the exact kind of suburban environments in the midwest that is exactly the same outside Chicago. They come from metro Detroit, greater St. Louis, great Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indy, Milwaukee, Columbus, etc. So they are absolutely familiar with urban and suburban life, and those areas (particularly Detroit and Cleveland) do have quite a bit of diversity.

Its just that those aforementioned places don't really have quite the urban enivronment or quite the career opportunities that the stretch between downtown and Lakeview and everything in between has. Sure those cities have neighborhoods with nightlife and major corporations with career opportunities just not on the same level as Chicago.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM

665 posts, read 1,243,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I agree with just about everything you said here, with a couple exceptions.

While the northwest suburbs are a little more cosmopolitan are a closer to an abundance of white collared jobs, there still are many people that have quite of a bit of the blue collared Polish, Italian, and Irish roots with a bit of the xenophobia that you are referring to that is present in the southwest side/suburbs. It is however more mixed and diluted with a wider range of people.

I will also say that the young people that move to LP, Lakeview, Downtown, etc., etc. more often than not are not exactly from small towns.

More often than not they come from some of the exact kind of suburban environments in the midwest that is exactly the same outside Chicago. They come from metro Detroit, greater St. Louis, great Cleveland, Cincinnati, Indy, Milwaukee, Columbus, etc. So they are absolutely familiar with urban and suburban life, and those areas (particularly Detroit and Cleveland) do have quite a bit of diversity.

Its just that those aforementioned places don't really have quite the urban enivronment or quite the career opportunities that the stretch between downtown and Lakeview and everything in between has. Sure those cities have neighborhoods with nightlife and major corporations with career opportunities just not on the same level as Chicago.

You are right there are def some blue collar people in the northwest burbs.
I still believe LP and Lake view are most midwestern suburbanites and 50 % people from midwestern modertate to small size rural towns.

downtown seems to be more diverse because you have foreigners and other people who moved from other big cities.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runuova View Post
Welcome to Chicago buddy! Next to Boston....meh forget it!
lol I agree though

Old 09-01-2011, 09:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Actually, Chicago is prabobly one of the least WASPy big cities in the country. Mayor Daley was Polish and Italian - not a WASP but eastern European and prabobly Catholic (neither Protestant nor Anglo Saxon).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Irish, but the point still stands -- "In this city WASP's are the alpha group" is quite the head-scratcher.
Yeah Daley is Irish but Still Chicago is not really a "WASPY" type of place at leat They dont seem to have clout in the politics of Chicago. If you want that check out D.C.

mas23

Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yeah Daley is Irish but Still Chicago is not really a "WASPY" type of place at leat They dont seem to have clout in the politics of Chicago. If you want that check out D.C.

mas23
oh, they've got plenty of clout, it's just wielded in the form of campaign donations and gets paid back in massive property tax breaks for skyscrapers/Loop buildings and TIFs.

but the article linked is pretty dead on, the WASPs bolted to the burbs over a century ago when the "dark" Europeans began arriving in droves.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:07 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoroc View Post
Hey man be genuine and you'll have absolutely no problem meeting women. Chicago women hear game all day from their commute, office, to after work so be understanding if they appear to be on guard.

Also drop 10 pounds and keep a fresh cut!
there it is!

another piece of advice would be to not focus on the quick hook-up at a bar or club.

a city this size has a lot of male predator types that hang out at those places-

if you want to meet people different from yourself, find a social activity that doesn't revolve solely around booze - volleyball and soccer adult leagues abound, and I know many couples who met during group music classes at the Old Town School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago