Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which general area of the city do you live?
West Side 4 4.35%
South Side 9 9.78%
North Side 31 33.70%
Northwest Side 23 25.00%
Southwest Side 6 6.52%
Non Of The Above 19 20.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:49 PM

70 posts, read 153,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I know no such thing, I only know what you said. Which was clear enough.

Quite the contrary; I used the old ethnic makeup of the West Side to explain that a specific neighborhood feel wasn't what determined the West Side. In order to argue that Yuppies, artists, hipsters and Big 10 transplants can be West Siders too.
Ok i'm gonna steer this discussion away from the stupid stuff of who said what, and attempt to keep an actual discussion going

So our problem is this: Go out on the street near the trendy bars on north avenue and ask those Big 10 ten transplants, yuppies, and hipsters what part of the city they are on. I have a strong suspicion that word NORTH will be in all their answers. Why is this Irishtom, are they all living with dementia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 PM

What I think we should all agree on is that conceptions of north side, south side and west side change over time by the waves of different types of people that inhabit our great neighborhoods of chicago.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
Ok i'm gonna steer this discussion away from the stupid stuff of who said what, and attempt to keep an actual discussion going
I don't blame ya.

Quote:
So our problem is this: Go out on the street near the trendy bars on north avenue and ask those Big 10 ten transplants, yuppies, and hipsters what part of the city they are on. I have a strong suspicion that word NORTH will be in all their answers. Why is this Irishtom, are they all living with dementia?
Delusion at least. I think if we don't keep some of our old folkways alive we might as well live in......well who cares, somewhere else, Leave it to Beaver with gangways.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:

They'll say north side. But not because it's true; it's because they're absolute idiots. And don't know what the hell is going on.

Quote:
What I think we should all agree on is that conceptions of north side, south side and west side change over time by the waves of different types of people that inhabit our great neighborhoods of chicago.
No, not necessarily. See the above comment. By your admission, you're probably the type who would be happy to use the term "West Bucktown" with that ridiculous line of , "neighborhoods and names are constantly in flux."

Old 04-05-2011, 05:25 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:

No just ignorance. Many transplants are super ignorant, and will call Lincoln Park downtown, or anything with tall buildings downtown.

Its weird. I would still call wickerpark/bucktown westside.
Its feels westside even still today.

Northside in general refers to north of downtowns madison/state intersection and closer to the lake, what the exact east/west divide is?
not sure, but I will put it arbitrarily as western as some points and also ashland at some points and at some points halsted.

The lake shore is diagonal....
Straight west of downtown is West side.
Straight north of downtown is North Side.
Straight south of downtown is South Side.

Ive thought about this alot,

I think we could draw some lines on a map,
and come to a semi consensus.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:34 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Well, I'm not sure what to think, because I actually agree with you for once. So aside from that shocker, I just have to note that generally the Chicago River is the place of demarcation..probably since the beginning of time (ask IrishTom, he was there )

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
No just ignorance. Many transplants are super ignorant, and will call Lincoln Park downtown, or anything with tall buildings downtown.

Its weird. I would still call wickerpark/bucktown westside.
Its feels westside even still today.

Northside in general refers to north of downtowns madison/state intersection and closer to the lake, what the exact east/west divide is?
not sure, but I will put it arbitrarily as western as some points and also ashland at some points and at some points halsted.

The lake shore is diagonal....
Straight west of downtown is West side.
Straight north of downtown is North Side.
Straight south of downtown is South Side.

Ive thought about this alot,

I think we could draw some lines on a map,
and come to a semi consensus.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
OK you are right that Wicker Park is in West Town, and West Town has been classified before as being on the West Side. But anyone who is from Chicago knows that it is often the feel of the neighborhood that determines it's geographic classification by locals .
LMFAO, Quite the contrary, I find people who make these assumptions are not from Chicago, at least not originally. I find it amusing that 1200 North and Western is North side, but 1600 South and Western is considered West side. Lawndale goes all the way up to cermak, which is 2200 South. I guess Taylor Street isn't West Side because it's White, and parts of the near west side as well.

That being said, even if you include the members on here who are from Humboldt Park and West Town, you will find that the vast majority of the Chicago members on here are from the North side (including nw side) I sometimes wonder if they should just change the name of this forum to Chicago North Side or at least create a new forum.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM

I understand that all you guys want to feel special that you know something about the city, and maybe I sense a little resentment towards those transplants from areas outside the city, but just remember there are only 77 official community areas and these are set in stone and have been for a long time. However, there are no clear boundaries for neighborhoods or geographical sides, nor have their ever been. So you guys can make up your own rules about where the lines are in this forum, but these will only be opinions, because ultimately those 50,000 "morons from out of town" are what will define Chicago's trendy neighborhoods. Not the few of you on this forum. Also, criticizing names like West Bucktown is kinda dangerous, because people have been doing this for a hundred years in Chicago. Remember, Skid Row (now trendy Madison Street in the WEST LOOP) or Czech California (now Little Village). or Chicago Jerusalem. Names come and go, with the peoples that live in the neighborhoods.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Also, criticizing names like West Bucktown is kinda dangerous
What is going to happen? A bunch of hipsters wearing skinny jeans are going to try and use wet socks to beat people that do not agree with the faux neighborhood term "West Bucktown?"

Old 04-05-2011, 07:07 PM

By the way I am from chicago. Far Southwest Side. Far from the hipsters, yuppies, hippies, big 10 transplants or whatever you want to call them, that you north siders feel have invaded the neighborhoods you currently live in. BTW, 1200 North and Western for many people IS the North side, but 1600 South and Western is considered West side by most. This is defined by the people that live in the neighborhood...not you. Your proving my point. So maybe you guys want to come down to the southtown and you won't have to worry about these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago