Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which general area of the city do you live?
West Side 4 4.35%
South Side 9 9.78%
North Side 31 33.70%
Northwest Side 23 25.00%
Southwest Side 6 6.52%
Non Of The Above 19 20.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:41 AM

70 posts, read 153,351 times

Advertisements

The further north, west, south and east you get determines a lot of what "side" you are on. For instance, Roosevelt and Halsted is the West Side (near west, or nearly central in my opinion), but most now days would consider 63rd and Halsted simply the South Side, or Devon and California the Northside. After all, it is east of the river. In 1865 22nd and Halsted would have been called the far south west side. Is 14th and Michigan the south side? Most people these days call that South Loop. Why because yuppies don't want to buy condos on the south side. South Loop is OK though. I also find it humorous the nearly a quarter of the people looking at this thread don't live in Chicago, or maybe a few live in the loop.

Last edited by Brian45919; 04-07-2011 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 08:42 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
Is 14th and Michigan the south side? Most people these days call that South Loop. Why because yuppies don't want to buy condos on the south side. South Loop is OK though.

Many consider 14th and Michigan the South Loop. It's also called the Near South Side community area and I think that's an accurate description. I go back to established Chicago folkways and call the neighborhood "14th and Michigan", the way my father would say "22nd and Lawndale" or "Madison and Crawford".

In any event I consider it the north end of the South Side.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:32 AM

537 posts, read 1,034,844 times
Quote:
If Avondale and Logan Square are northwest, that means the "northside" is tiny with only Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Northcenter. By far the smallest of all the "sides." We probably got a lot of people on this forum that are trying to figure out ways to tell others they don't live on the northside for fear of being labeled.
Tiny ?? I wouldn't consider the area between the river and the lake from Chicago to Howard tiny

Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
The further north, west, south and east you get determines a lot of what "side" you are on. For instance, Roosevelt and Halsted is the West Side (near west, or nearly central in my opinion), but most now days would consider 63rd and Halsted simply the South Side, or Devon and California the Northside. After all, it is east of the river. In 1865 22nd and Halsted would have been called the far south west side. Is 14th and Michigan the south side? Most people these days call that South Loop. Why because yuppies don't want to buy condos on the south side. South Loop is OK though. I also find it humorous the nearly a quarter of the people looking at this thread don't live in Chicago, or maybe a few live in the loop.
Community wise, the South Loop is in the Loop community and it only suppose to extend to Roosevelt(12th St.) Nowadays, even as far south as 22nd & Cermak broadly falls under the South Loop or downtown umbrella. I even heard people call Chinatown "downtown". Like I said in my previous post what I'm getting at from comments and in real life conversations, defining sides and neighborhoods in Chicago is largely determined by who and what culture or sub-culture lives there. The other day someone on another site thought only black people lived on the southside until he/she met a working class white woman who said she is from the southside. I had to explain to that person the southside is home to Chinatown, and there are plenty of white people in Bridgeport, Hyde Park, Mt Greenwood, and Beverly. In broad terms, the southside can be split into 3 main sub-regions: Southside/black belt(mostly black neighborhoods between Western Ave. and the lake), Southwest( Mexicans, whites, and blacks), and the Eastside( South Chicago, Eastside, South Deering, and Hegewisch).

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 04-07-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 04-07-2011, 07:45 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Say what to the who now? Are you talking to me? As I stated above, I'm interested to know the geographical demographics. As I suspected, so far we have zero west side or south side people. I'm very curious where the "None Of The Above" answers are located. California? North Carolina? Why do they come to this forum. I'm in Wicker Park, personally.
Tinley Park, IL

Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,290,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Suburbanites and most people I know view the Near Westside community(Little Italy, UIC, Greektown) as ''downtown".
I'll cut some slack to suburbanites for their ignorance, but anyone who lives in Chicago and believes this is dope.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'll cut some slack to suburbanites for their ignorance, but anyone who lives in Chicago and believes this is dope.
Agreed.
That is ignorant.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:52 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
I am trying to figure out how 60+ people voted in this poll. There is no way that 60+ people post in the Chicago forum and live in it.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 PM

400 posts, read 957,519 times
Quote:
technically its the near south side (south loop)
just like north of the chicago river is the near north side.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:00 PM

121 posts, read 318,574 times
Quote:
I am trying to figure out how 60+ people voted in this poll. There is no way that 60+ people post in the Chicago forum and live in it.
There is a none of the above for suburbanites and people out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago