Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM

5 posts, read 20,188 times

Advertisements

Just moved into the city a few months ago (enjoying it so far!), and had a pointless question: What part of the city do I live in? I'm just north-east of the Division-Ashland intersection, near that little park and swimming pool.

I've looked at a bunch of different websites and Wikipedia pages, and I seem to be getting quite a few conflicting answers. Some places say Wicker Park extends that far east, and some say Noble Square extends that far north, and a few say that that little section of overlap is actually its own city section called Pulaski Park. Is there anything official that would tell me, or is it more a subjective thing? Thanks for any input.

FYI - Whenever anyone asks me where I live I just say Wicker Park to avoid any confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 02:43 PM

422 posts, read 813,385 times
West Town is the greater community area that envelops all the neighborhoods you described, it stretches from roughly 400 North on the south to North Avenue on the north and from the north branch of the Chicago River on the east and Western Avenue on the west. More specifically I consider it to be Wicker Park.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,176,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonal2001 View Post
Just moved into the city a few months ago (enjoying it so far!), and had a pointless question: What part of the city do I live in? I'm just north-east of the Division-Ashland intersection, near that little park and swimming pool.

I've looked at a bunch of different websites and Wikipedia pages, and I seem to be getting quite a few conflicting answers. Some places say Wicker Park extends that far east, and some say Noble Square extends that far north, and a few say that that little section of overlap is actually its own city section called Pulaski Park. Is there anything official that would tell me, or is it more a subjective thing? Thanks for any input.

FYI - Whenever anyone asks me where I live I just say Wicker Park to avoid any confusion.
It's disputed territory. The only thing universally agreed upon is that it's part of the City's West Town community area. Some consider it part of Wicker Park, others part of Noble Square. A few people probably call it after that little park, Pulaski Park, although I'd never even heard of that park until earlier this year and I've lived in Chicago for over 15 years so using that name would confuse a lot of people. I suppose you could say you live between Wicker Park and the expressway, which would be true and give most people a good idea where you actually are.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:57 PM

491 posts, read 1,122,074 times
This is the closest thing to the official city neighborhood map. Looks like you are in Wicker Park.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf

Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,215,806 times
^^^ Yep, all of the above.

If people ask where you live just say "right by the intersection of Division-Ashland" or "right by Pulaski Park".

Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,658,708 times
That's interesting. I live just southwest of that same intersection. I consider it to be Wicker Park but I've heard some people say East Village as well.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,871 times
You live in Noble Square. Do you live on Cleaver Street? I used to live in that area. Some people will say it's Wicker Park, but Wicker Park does not go east of Ashland.

It's likely that most people don't even know that there is such thing as Noble Square though, so it will probably just be easier for you to say that you live in Wicker Park

Old 10-25-2011, 11:12 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
This is the closest thing to the official city neighborhood map. Looks like you are in Wicker Park.

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf
NE of Division/Ashland is Noble Square, it's pretty much right under the N in Noble in the map you provided.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:19 PM

491 posts, read 1,122,074 times
Yep got my wires crossed.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:28 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Yep got my wires crossed.
Good map though there are a few neighborhoods I've never even heard of and interesting enough there is another Pulaski Park up by Sauganash which has to be an error as the park up there is called Peterson Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago