Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,121,925 times

Advertisements

Well I can't read it; it's too small.

The city's map does have Ravenswood on it. I don't know if the boundaries are correct...but it does in fact say 'Ravenswood' west of Lincoln Square...as well as Ravenswood Manor, Southeast Ravenswood and Ravenswood Gardens.

Not sure I follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,885,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
According to many the "colloquial" Albany Park does indeed extend all the way down to Irving Park Road, at least east of Elston. IMO that makes Irving Park a strange narrow shape, but many old-timers insist that Irving Park is the proper boundary.

And yes I have heard of some people extending Logan Square north of Diversey to Belmont -- mostly old-timers actually rather than some developer/realtor attempt to extend Logan Square's new-found cachet outward.
Avondale definitely got an identity crisis after the highway cut it on the long diagonal.

It's a formidable boundary no matter how you look at it, so it makes sense why people on the southern part would be more likely to identify with Logan Sq and the ones on the northern part identify with Irving Park. Adding to that confusion is the "Logandale" middle school at George & Kedzie (which is adjacent to Avondale Elementary).

But all that doesn't change the fact they're wrong, of course. I have neighbors who have been around for 35+ years. They know where they live, Avondale. And we're south of Belmont.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Well I can't read it; it's too small.

The city's map does have Ravenswood on it. I don't know if the boundaries are correct...but it does in fact say 'Ravenswood' west of Lincoln Square...as well as Ravenswood Manor, Southeast Ravenswood and Ravenswood Gardens.

Not sure I follow.
Right, that wasn't directed at the City map specifically, just (singling out Ravenswood) acknowledging that sometimes there are reasons why one neighborhood phases out and another in. With Ravenswood it's all about the train. So when in the past 10 years that name was removed, and then the North Center Chamber of Commerce really stepped up, and got an official Community marker/statue at Lincoln, Damen & Irving, it's a fairly organic process.

But IMO, Community Areas are locked, there's no play there. So when the Community Area and the neighborhood names are identical, you don't get to ever pretend Lincoln Park goes to Wellington, Logan Square to Belmont, etc., etc.

I bring up the realtors/developers because it was absolutely those people who exploited the trickier boundaries, and then took those to new heights (or, lows, as the case may be).

West Bucktown = a phoney-baloney neighborhood

West Roscoe Village = not even close to qualifying as a neighborhood

etc., etc.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM

537 posts, read 1,035,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
But IMO, Community Areas are locked, there's no play there. So when the Community Area and the neighborhood names are identical, you don't get to ever pretend Lincoln Park goes to Wellington, Logan Square to Belmont, etc., etc.
I agree and good point. A while back I had an argument with someone here regarding Jefferson Park. They insisted Jefferson Park went south to Montrose per this neighborhood map...

http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ods_poster.pdf

Whereas the official community area ends at Gunnison/Lawrence
http://www.cityofchicago.org/content...ERSON_PARK.pdf

Old 10-26-2011, 02:34 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,925 times
Growing up around Detroit is was a running joke how the city and/or developers were always slapping some bull**** name on a neighborhood. None ever stuck for ****.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
Growing up around Detroit is was a running joke how the city and/or developers were always slapping some bull**** name on a neighborhood. None ever stuck for ****.
what about "West Vacant Town" or "Emptyville"? Detroit is just heartbreaking, I hope they get it turned around.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:01 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,110,386 times
Quote:
According to many the "colloquial" Albany Park does indeed extend all the way down to Irving Park Road, at least east of Elston. IMO that makes Irving Park a strange narrow shape, but many old-timers insist that Irving Park is the proper boundary.

And yes I have heard of some people extending Logan Square north of Diversey to Belmont -- mostly old-timers actually rather than some developer/realtor attempt to extend Logan Square's new-found cachet outward.
Based on the amount of shootings that have occured just north of Irving and east of Elston the past few months, I could see why Irving Parkers don't mind the papers calling the area Albany Park.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,213,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Based on the amount of shootings that have occured just north of Irving and east of Elston the past few months, I could see why Irving Parkers don't mind the papers calling the area Albany Park.
And the papers often do, as in here, here (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/teen-dead-man-wounded-in-albany-park-shooting.html - broken link) and here. And yes there is a turf war going on around here in the Irving Park/Albany Park area. There have probably been more shootings in Irving Park proper (the community area) this year than there were in the previous 3 years combined. Lots of fun.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Now that you have read all the posts, may I say, welcome to Chicago's 1001 neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcdonal2001 View Post
Just moved into the city a few months ago (enjoying it so far!), and had a pointless question: What part of the city do I live in? I'm just north-east of the Division-Ashland intersection, near that little park and swimming pool.

I've looked at a bunch of different websites and Wikipedia pages, and I seem to be getting quite a few conflicting answers. Some places say Wicker Park extends that far east, and some say Noble Square extends that far north, and a few say that that little section of overlap is actually its own city section called Pulaski Park. Is there anything official that would tell me, or is it more a subjective thing? Thanks for any input.

FYI - Whenever anyone asks me where I live I just say Wicker Park to avoid any confusion.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
And the papers often do, as in here, here (http://archive.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/08/teen-dead-man-wounded-in-albany-park-shooting.html - broken link) and here. And yes there is a turf war going on around here in the Irving Park/Albany Park area. There have probably been more shootings in Irving Park proper (the community area) this year than there were in the previous 3 years combined. Lots of fun.
Which gangs? You guys seeing the MLDs moving north, by any chance? They seem to be slowly migrating out of my area, or, they could just be getting smarter and not being so visibly stupid with the tagging and so on. Nah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago