Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Here's a 20-year-old Trib article that defines Albany Park as going south to Irving Park Rd: Gangs A Fact Of Life In Albany Park - Chicago Tribune

Chi-town Native: As for who's feuding, I hear the Almighty Ambrose are trying to get a foothold in Albany Park and are not being greeted with open arms. You should probably ask Alacran though, he has his ear to the ground about stuff like that around here more than I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Chi-town Native: As for who's feuding, I hear the Almighty Ambrose are trying to get a foothold in Albany Park and are not being greeted with open arms. You should probably ask Alacran though, he has his ear to the ground about stuff like that around here more than I do.
Bizarre. That's a hell of a stretch from their homebase:

ChicagoGangs.org Website

You guys still have Simon City Royals up there as well? Last I checked I think Albany was one of their few remaining pockets of influence.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM

537 posts, read 1,034,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

ChicagoGangs.org Website

You guys still have Simon City Royals up there as well? Last I checked I think Albany was one of their few remaining pockets of influence.
There are lots of Royals still up there, you can that cross/slashes graffiti quite often around Kimball and Irving.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM

491 posts, read 1,121,385 times
There's a really great book about the Almighty Gaylords and by proxy the Royals and other gangs of tthe 80s called "Lords of Lawndale" by a guy named Michael Scott. (Not real name.) It's pretty raw and self-published but it's an interesting account of west Logan Square (I think that's the hood) from the perspective of a troubled white teenager in the 80s.

This was when the gangs were bad but not waste each other with uzi bad...still descended more from the stone cold greaser gangs than the drug pusher cartel variety.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post

ChicagoGangs.org Website

Who knows. There are so many gangs scrunched together in Albany Park; and I suspect that whatever influence the Simon City Royals have left is by way of alliance with another gang or gangs that has since become more prominent. And God knows what interest the Ambrose have up in Albany Park but their graffiti is showing up. I'm not that familiar with gang "politics" but I would imagine the fact that they're such an alien presence is part of why the resistance to their incursion has been unusually strong and that this accounts for the rise in violence over and above the usual skirmishes between more established gangs whose territories are more well-defined.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:23 PM

I think all the gangs are either allied with either the People or Folk nations. At least that was the way it was in that book I mentioned.

Dumb asses.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
I think all the gangs are either allied with either the People or Folk nations. At least that was the way it was in that book I mentioned.

Dumb asses.
That's increasingly a meaningless phrase (it definitely was "the" big deal the 80s, the author had that dead right).

From what I read these days, massive incarceration of the old school gang leadership has actually led to a splintering of what passed for an org chart, so you have lots of smaller little cliques out there, allying when it makes sense from a profiteering angle.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Whenever I read about street gangs I think of this comedian I saw who said he grew up in a gang-infested neighborhood but learned to fight watching West Side Story.

I think that would be my plan if I ever ran into trouble with them..to do my jazz hands and start singing "When You're a Jet."

Old 10-31-2011, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 20,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Now that you have read all the posts, may I say, welcome to Chicago's 1001 neighborhoods.

Hehe, thanks. Definitely a rambling (yet entertaining and informative) thread.

To throw a little more fuel on the fire:

West Town, Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yes, I do live on Cleaver.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM

And the Irving/Albany Park turf war rages on. 2 killed, 2 wounded in 2 separate shootings in the last 2 days: 3100 block of W. Montrose and 4000 block of N Bernard.

Chi-town Native, since you asked about them before, area residents have said the Royals are involved in a number of these incidents.

Last edited by Drover; 12-12-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago