Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In which general area of the city do you live?
West Side 4 4.35%
South Side 9 9.78%
North Side 31 33.70%
Northwest Side 23 25.00%
Southwest Side 6 6.52%
Non Of The Above 19 20.65%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 01:37 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,168,875 times

Advertisements

I doubt we'll get a large number of people come around and vote, so I'll summarize now.

1) Just over 6 of 10 (63.0%) forum members are from the North or Northwest areas of the city.

2) Just less than 1 of 10 (8.7%) forum members are from the South and West areas.

3) Just over 1 of 20 (6.5%) forum members are from the Southwest area.

4) Just over 2 of 10 (21.7%) forum members are from (a) the loop or (b) the east side or (c) outside the city.

I guess I suspected similarly, but it's kind of neat to see the numbers laid out.

I am guessing that most of the forum members from the "NoTA" category are outside the state altogether. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:01 PM

70 posts, read 153,416 times
Ok we need to make a correction. The East Side is a community area on the far south side of chicago. I am there all the time. So these people would vote southside. Other than that there is no distinction for east side. This would just be any community area or neighborhood along the lake, which would either fall into the categories of northside, southside or downtown on the lakefront.

Last edited by Brian45919; 04-05-2011 at 02:31 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
5th and madison
Maywood. Ahh, for a minute I thought you meant 5th Ave. and Madison on the West Side.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 04-05-2011 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 03:12 PM

Wicker Park is on the West Side, the Northwest Side doesn't begin until at least North Ave and even farther north as you go farther west. Note that the southern boundry of the West Side is the river and canal and goes alot farther south than 1600.

I was born on the West Side and grew up there in the 50s and 60s and probably have as good West Side "creds" as anyone here.

We've been over this before and Tuna is right. And I do have to wonder why a modern West Sider would want to be considered a North Sider.

I live by 14th and Michigan but I call it the North Side because I'm farther north than an east-west line drawn through the physical center of the city.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
East Side: The Atlantic Ocean....

Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Wicker Park is on the West Side, the Northwest Side doesn't begin until at least North Ave and even farther north as you go farther west. Note that the southern boundry of the West Side is the river and canal and goes alot farther south than 1600.

I was born on the West Side and grew up there in the 50s and 60s and probably have as good West Side "creds" as anyone here.

We've been over this before and Tuna is right. And I do have to wonder why a modern West Sider would want to be considered a North Sider.

I live by 14th and Michigan but I call it the North Side because I'm farther north than an east-west line drawn through the physical center of the city.
OK you are right that Wicker Park is in West Town, and West Town has been classified before as being on the West Side. But anyone who is from Chicago knows that it is often the feel of the neighborhood that determines it's geographic classification by locals. For instance, once you cross Division St. west of Western Avenue, many people consider this Humboldt Park, when we all know technically that it is West Town. It is the current feel of the neighborhood that created this distinction. So Maybe in 1950 Wicker Park would be called west side. But seriously....tell someone you live on the west side, and say you live at North/Milwaukee/Damen. They will laugh at you! We all know what the west side is NOW....North Lawndale, Austin, East/West Garfield Park and depending on where you are in Humboldt Park and South Lawndale. Why...because these neighborhoods have much of the same character these days.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian45919 View Post
OK you are right that Wicker Park is in West Town, and West Town has been classified before as being on the West Side. But anyone who is from Chicago knows that it is often the feel of the neighborhood that determines it's geographic classification by locals........

So what you're saying in effect is that if it's Black it's the West Side and if it's White it's not. Thanks for a frankly expressed opinion.

Now back in the old days many parts of the West Side and North Side did have the same feel yet we didn't have any problem confusing the two (except for the nebulous "border march" zone). Nor did the West Side itself have a common feel: Bohemians on 22nd, Jews on 12th, Irish on Madison, Italians on Chicago, Poles and then Puerto Ricans on Division; but we knew it was the West Side; when we went from our corner at Madison and Central to hang out with the Dipsy Doodle guys on North Ave. were on the West Side. So I'm not buying your argument. But like I said, I appreciate your candor.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So what you're saying in effect is that if it's Black it's the West Side and if it's White it's not. Thanks for a frankly expressed opinion.

Now back in the old days many parts of the West Side and North Side did have the same feel yet we didn't have any problem confusing the two (except for the nebulous "border march" zone). Nor did the West Side itself have a common feel: Bohemians on 22nd, Jews on 12th, Irish on Madison, Italians on Chicago, Poles and then Puerto Ricans on Division; but we knew it was the West Side. So I'm not buying your argument. But like I said, I appreciate your candor.
I Appreciate your knowedge of Chicago in the 1950's and you are correct about who lived where, But to insinuate that I am racist because I implied that neighborhoods with a specific ethinic make-up have a certain character is ridiculous and you know it! Especially because you were describing the West Side in racial terms that applied to this part of the city in the 1950's! So what are you saying..it's the West Side if it has Czechs, Jews, Italians, Irish and Puerto Ricans???? Thanks for your frankly expressed opinion.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:13 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,258,281 times
Quote:
OK you are right that Wicker Park is in West Town, and West Town has been classified before as being on the West Side. But anyone who is from Chicago knows that it is often the feel of the neighborhood that determines it's geographic classification by locals. For instance, once you cross Division St. west of Western Avenue, many people consider this Humboldt Park, when we all know technically that it is West Town. It is the current feel of the neighborhood that created this distinction. So Maybe in 1950 Wicker Park would be called west side. But seriously....tell someone you live on the west side, and say you live at North/Milwaukee/Damen. They will laugh at you! We all know what the west side is NOW....North Lawndale, Austin, East/West Garfield Park and depending on where you are in Humboldt Park and South Lawndale. Why...because these neighborhoods have much of the same character these days.
Take your ball and go home, sir. That is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I Appreciate your knowedge of Chicago in the 1950's and you are correct about who lived where, But to insinuate that I am racist because I implied that neighborhoods with a specific ethinic make-up have a certain character is ridiculous and you know it!
I know no such thing, I only know what you said. Which was clear enough.

Quote:
So what are you saying..it's the West Side if it has Czechs, Jews, Italians, Irish and Puerto Ricans???? Thanks for your frankly expressed opinion.

Quite the contrary; I used the old ethnic makeup of the West Side to explain that a specific neighborhood feel wasn't what determined the West Side. In order to argue that Yuppies, artists, hipsters and Big 10 transplants can be West Siders too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago