Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvt10 View Post
Disgusting. Weiner Circle is even worse.
Wiener Circle has been on my Do Not Go To list for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 05:44 PM

68 posts, read 120,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Who ever said it was?

Some ignorant jag from NYC?
Fair enough and even in NYC people defend their hot dog joints, but never like I've seen here. Granted the variations and number of ingredients and number of things that could go wrong are much more on a Chicago dog. But it amazes me how places that primarily serve hot dogs could get it so wrong.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
But it amazes me how places that primarily serve hot dogs could get it so wrong.
I think it is because of the large number of places that serve hot dogs. There is always a percentage of places that will suck when there are large numbers of places serving a product.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:31 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Wiener Circle has been on my Do Not Go To list for many years.
Well, that neighborhood is on my Do Not Go list. Ok..only half kidding. I frequent the zoo, and that's it.

Want to know why Yelp can be worthless? Look at Weiner Circle reviews and how high of marks they get.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Want to know why Yelp can be worthless? Look at Weiner Circle reviews and how high of marks they get.
I only use Yelp to find store operating hours for places or for a good laugh.

It is also suspect how one can look at Superdawg on Yelp and find almost as many people ripping on it than Wieners Circle.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Well, that neighborhood is on my Do Not Go list. Ok..only half kidding. I frequent the zoo, and that's it.

Yelp is hopeless in Chicago IMHO. I'm sorry I'm not going out of my way to make Chicago look bad but people here in general are clueless about food. It seems to me that people are more interested in the novelty of dining out. Having read many Yelp reviews I see an excess of consideration given to aspects like decor, attitude of waiters, dining experience, portions and pricing. Sometimes the food itself is written about as an afterthought. It leads me to believe that people don't eat out very much and when they do they look for dining experience more than the food quality. It's also why I think so many "theme" restaurants do so well here. By virtue of not really valuing the actual food or having much by way of food experience I think restaurants can basically serve anything as long as the dining "experience" is good. This is all relative to cities where people eat out for dinner 4-5 times a week. I follow a few trusted reviewers on Yelp and get some information that way.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:

I went there one afternoon (about 4 years ago) and thought it was fine. Fries were fresh cut too.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I went there one afternoon (about 4 years ago) and thought it was fine. Fries were fresh cut too.
The fries are burnt. In fact the only thing good there are the pickles.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
The fries are burnt. In fact the only thing good there are the pickles.

Now you're tellin' me how my fries were. Like I don't know good spuds and good hot dogs. I was eating kosher hot-dogs and fresh fries from Jewish hot-dog stands around Madison and Central (you don't remember when it was Jews and Irish around there, do you?) since probably long before you were born; gimme a little credit. There's nothing new and exciting about hot dogs.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 03-29-2011 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I went there one afternoon (about 4 years ago) and thought it was fine.
There were times I went there in the daytime when it was somewhat ok. At night, all bets are off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago