Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 09:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Where I live, the Escalade is a ghetto-mobile for stupid people who don't know how to properly spend what little money they have. These are the same people who live in a shack yet spend a fortune to get their "hair and nails did".

Actually the true wealthy people I know drive loaded Tahoes, Yukons, and Expeditions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Where I live, the Escalade is a ghetto-mobile for stupid people who don't know how to properly spend what little money they have. These are the same people who live in a shack yet spend a fortune to get their "hair and nails did".
Typical stereotype. Because its so easy for "stupid ghetto people" to get loans on 70K vehicles - or were you "just" talking about the used ones?

Where do you think used vehicles come from?

Where I live, the Escalade is driven by a variety of people from professionals, and the wealthy who can easily afford them and by some people who overspend to get them - all wanting the best selling luxury SUV in the USA. Surprisingly enough, the middle and lower class folks want to drive and be seen in the same types of vehicle that rich people have, so they pour all their money into used Cadillacs, Mercedes, Lexus, etc too.

Last edited by Tourian; 02-07-2011 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,891 times
If I was single I might consider buying the 40K Escalade, but I have the decency to refrain from putting that much mass and horsepower in the hands of my wife. Also, it's not really my style, and it doesn't have a bed to haul my motorcycles.

While I consider myself far outside the mold, the Escalade is generally the butt of the joke among many in my professional circles (academia). As a prof, you know that you have "made it" when you show up to work in the minimum five year old Volvo station wagon or mid 90's Corolla. A colleague of mine 'collects' Porsches, and has at least one from every decade since the 60s, yet he drives the late 90s wagon to work every day. Minivans are also popular, as the large, flat rear window gives one the opportunity to display the stickers of various colleges that one's children are/have attending/attended. The ultimate status symbol would be to have an old Volvo wagon that is old enough to have the window sticker from one's own graduate school followed by multiple Ivy League stickers for one's children, thus displaying the driver's frugality in maintaining a single vehicle for over a generation while announcing the brilliance of his or her children. A late model Escalade, by comparison, just announces that you are sleeping with undergraduates.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Yes, if I had 40K.
Alot of people want to do number crunching, but thats not what Caddilac is about. It's about luxury.

For the person that said the escalade is just a glorified suburban, well a picture is worth 1,000 words.

2011 Escalade (Standard)

2001 Suburban (Standard)
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwkeVQTj4YMnEwmJy7mn0U76xVXujVU 5ktr4QH2LNT5HPhIAjKkw&t=1 (broken link)

The interior of the standard 2011 burban resembles the standard '99 escalade

Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I suppose that if I lived in the Peoples Republic of SanFrancisco I might be somewhat constrained by peer group pressure not to have the 11 cars and trucks that constitute my fleet of gas guzzling smoke belching vehicles. Perhaps. But, like many independent midwesterners I bristle at the prospect of a nanny state and its nanny citizen acolytes saying what should and shouldn't be allowed as far as personal choice is concerned. An Escalade is a pretty nice truck. A fancied up Tahoe, like I said about 50 posts or so ago. And, I would not hesitate to have one or two of them if they fit into the fleet.
I sentence you to a night in bed with Nancy Pelosi for that one!

C'mon now. Anybody who has 11 cars is tiny bit of a douchebag in their own right aren't they?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
No because GM does not have the ability to make anything WORTH that much. It will still be worn out in 4 years with 100k on it...lol

Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
True, a Landcruiser is more comparable to a Escalade when it comes to price at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sequoia's cost a lot less than Escalades and thus have alot less bling. Use 2008 Sequoia's run in from $35 to $45k here in the USA. They hold their value much better than Escalades. Those who buy Sequoia's buy then because they need or want them, most who buy Escalades buy them as a status symbol

This below is total stereotyping and very untrue. Where we live, the Escalade is very much a family, tote the kids around vehicle. We have both, a fully loaded 2010 Escalade (Hybrid) and a fully loaded 2010 Tahoe (Hybrid). Knowing what we paid, though we paid extra for the hybrid versions, 40K is a good deal for the 08, as long as it is fully loaded as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Actually the true wealthy people I know drive loaded Tahoes, Yukons, and Expeditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC