Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Mercedes Benz Gl 550 13 34.21%
Range Rover HSE 5 13.16%
Cadillac Escalade 20 52.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:53 PM

77 posts, read 353,728 times

Advertisements

Hey guys just wanted to get a few opinions on a new SUV. I have it narrowed down to a Range Rover, MB Gl 550 & an Escalade. What would you chose and why?

Here are a few of my thoughts:
Range Rover-poor reliability & no 3rd row seat but beautiful

GL 500- Love it and I think this is the one I am really leaning towards

Escalade- a little flashy but too flashy not sure?? I don't want people to group me with rappers. It is beautiful, 3rd row but you have to remove it completely & MB folds down. A lot cheaper than RR and MB. I think it has remote start!

Let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 03:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Go with the Range Rover, its the most unique, and probably the best off-roader of the bunch. The Benz is, well, bland and vanilla just like everything else MB makes, and the Escalade is a glorified suburban, built for soccer moms who think theyre the cats meow, but just end up looking as retarded as can be (especially when they wear those sunglasses with 6" lenses and have 24" bling on their rides).

Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Live in really ritzy part of town (Bentleys, MB, BMW, Maserati, Lexus, Caddy, Infiniti...are the common cars; you'll also see Ferraris and Lambos and Maybachs) and out of the 3, it seems like the Escalade is everyone's favorite. They're everywhere. It's mind-boggling. I wonder why everyone loves 'em so much.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM

812 posts, read 4,081,936 times
I'd take the RR. Solid cars, nice looks, but not too standoutish. Escalades I find to be solid cars given their GMT900 underpinnings, but they just scream "I made my money yesterday and want you to know it!" to me, and the MB SUV's I find to be a complete bore. If I were to get an MB it would be a proper Benz, not some SUV thrown together to capitalize on the SUV fad. To me the RR simply stands apart. "Land Rover product" and "maintenance free" don't historically go hand-in-hand though.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:29 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,691,909 times
I'd actually suggest a new Yukon Denali. They basically have all the options that an Escalade would have but with a price tag $15K lower. I don't like Mercedes' SUV's, I think they make fine cars but their SUV's aren't anything special. Range Rover's are cool but of course they are notorious for being unreliable and very expensive to repair (Mercedes won't be cheap either, mind you). If you want all the features that a luxury SUV should have but without the bling factor, I'd definetly take a look at the Yukon Denali. I love my '07 and wouldn't trade it for any of the 3 you listed! I looked at the Escalade before I bought it and to me the Yukon was actually more attractive and offered a better interior layout (I hate the all of the Escalade's confusing knobs and switches). My $0.02.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:41 PM

973 posts, read 2,228,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to get a few opinions on a new SUV. I have it narrowed down to a Range Rover, MB Gl 550 & an Escalade. What would you chose and why?

Here are a few of my thoughts:
Range Rover-poor reliability & no 3rd row seat but beautiful

GL 500- Love it and I think this is the one I am really leaning towards

Escalade- a little flashy but too flashy not sure?? I don't want people to group me with rappers. It is beautiful, 3rd row but you have to remove it completely & MB folds down. A lot cheaper than RR and MB. I think it has remote start!

Let me know!
I'd take a Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5 over any of those 3 in a heartbeat. Of those three, I'd take the Escalade, simply because Range Rover and Mercedes-Benz are two of the most overrated automakers when it comes to quality. If you're getting the car and don't mind having to take it to the dealer to fix issues that go wrong, by all means, go for the MB or RR. If you like having a car that you don't have to worry about quality control issues, get the Porsche or BMW.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Well, I can give you some imput because we own both a Range Rover Sport (don't know if your thinking of that or the full sized one) & an Escalade. The RR is mine & the Escalade my hubby's. For one, I know RR has a bad rep for reliability but we've had ours for over a year & not a single issue (knock on wood) It handles very well & looks great. We did some upgrades to it. My only complaint is the back is a little too small for what I'd like & no 3rd row seat. Also, putting anything large in the cargo area can be a pain as the way the back glass slants down, I can't always get it closed.

The Escalade we have now is our second one. As with our first, it's incredibly reliable, the ride & comfort are awesome, plenty of room & the extras are all pretty much standard. The 3rd row seats are roomy & functional as well. Don't know if Mercedes offers this but the Escalade also has air conditioned seats. That's SO nice during the summer. The only reason I don't steal it from my hubby is it's black & I hate black. There are so many black Escalades around our area, I joke to my husband everytime I see one. Now, if he'd trade it in for a color I like, then it would be mine We recently drove the truck from Indiana to Florida. Our first big road trip ever, 2 adults, 2 children, a dog & a cargo load of stuff & we were comfy as can be.

So in the end, I like both but I would vote Escalade

Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
Turns out the Caddy is the most troublefree/reliable of the three.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
I used to sell and finance Land Rovers, about 5 years ago. You've got no idea the shame that becomes you when the $70K vehicle you've sold someone breaks down 3 times in as many months. Or when that happens to all of them. Or worse.

You don't want the Range Rover.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:09 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley111 View Post

Let me know!
My money is on The Escalade, Ashley.

The Escalade offers the most luxury, the best performance and the most dependability plus the BEST VALUE now and it will probably maintain value better than either of the other two down the road (no pun intended).

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mercedes-Benz and Smart