Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:26 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
You do realize the G35 sharing platforms with a 350Z should be more "fun" than an ES sharing platforms with a Camry. The ES is also far more luxurious and comfy than the G35 on the other hand.

Its called different cars for different buyers/markets though they are priced the same.
Of course I realize. Did you realize that water is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom? Did you realize that we need oxygen to live? Did you realize that cows produce milk? Etc.. I can spew as many obvious and well known facts as you can buddy. I understand platforms and markets better than most people on these forums. You can slap your head with that emoticon all day long and it still won't shake the crap out of it no matter how hard you try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
impressive vehicle imo.

2008 Cadillac Escalade Black Raven Moonroof Nav DVD Quad Seating (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ctd/2119163550.html - broken link)
Wouldn't take that chrome dump truck if they gave it to me for free. I don't want to be constantly filling it with $5-a-gallon gas in two years.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Wouldn't take that chrome dump truck if they gave it to me for free. I don't want to be constantly filling it with $5-a-gallon gas in two years.
Typical San Fran liberal.

We really like our "chrome dump truck" as you so eloquently put it. Yes the gas mileage is dismal but it's very comfortable and capable. I think it easily beats out any other luxury SUV in it's league.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:44 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I would only buy an Escalade if I could sell it at a profit. I would not be seen driving one.
My sentiments exactly. Escalade is to flashy, and Escalades are quite popular with car thieves. Not my style, but then everybody's different. My brother drives an Escalade. I prefer to fly under the radar.

For a few thousand more I can get a brand new base model mustang and a brand new base f150. Not as flashy, but the mustang is far faster and nimbler, and the truck can do any heavy lifting. I can choose what to drive based on my mood Everything's covered. That's not even mentioning depreciaton, gas mileage, etc.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Typical San Fran liberal.

We really like our "chrome dump truck" as you so eloquently put it. Yes the gas mileage is dismal but it's very comfortable and capable. I think it easily beats out any other luxury SUV in it's league.
Nice stereotyping there. I've lived in SF for the majority of my life, wouldn't buy an Escalade because I know I won't need a vehicle of its size (as is true with most people) but having nothing against people who own trucks/suv's for towing, work, etc. Having choice is great, and people can generally do whatever they want within legal limits but it's also difficult to argue for pointless waste and excess. "Just because I can" is not an intelligent argument and actually shows ignorance and short sightedness. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Of course I realize. Did you realize that water is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom? Did you realize that we need oxygen to live? Did you realize that cows produce milk? Etc.. I can spew as many obvious and well known facts as you can buddy. I understand platforms and markets better than most people on these forums. You can slap your head with that emoticon all day long and it still won't shake the crap out of it no matter how hard you try.
Thanks for proving the stereotype

Konkocars.com » Blog Archive » The Top 10 Douchebag Cars: (http://konkocars.com/2009/07/15/the-top-10-cars-driven-by-douchebags/?AID=10546635&PID=3323800 - broken link)

Old 12-30-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Thanks for proving the stereotype

Konkocars.com » Blog Archive » The Top 10 Douchebag Cars: (http://konkocars.com/2009/07/15/the-top-10-cars-driven-by-douchebags/?AID=10546635&PID=3323800 - broken link)
There's a Lexus on there too buddy! Although I'm glad these lists are pure b.s.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Nice stereotyping there. I've lived in SF for the majority of my life, wouldn't buy an Escalade because I know I won't need a vehicle of its size (as is true with most people) but having nothing against people who own trucks/suv's for towing, work, etc. Having choice is great, and people can generally do whatever they want within legal limits but it's also difficult to argue for pointless waste and excess. "Just because I can" is not an intelligent argument and actually shows ignorance and short sightedness. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
It's freedom of choice, our country was built on it. Why exactly does ANYONE need to justify their vehicle purchase, aren't cars supposed to be something that exudes an emotional appeal/response? Why does a vehicle purchase have to be LOGICAL?

So if you're arguing AGAINST anyone that drives an SUV/truck for any purpose besides work-related, you'll also argue against anyone purchasing a sports car as a weekend cruiser? Many sports cars get bad gas mileage, are not practical, and can also be considered "excess".

You must live in a very boring world where a spoiler on a 4-door sedan would be considered ostentatious.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times
Uhhh...NOPE!

Old 12-31-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
It's freedom of choice, our country was built on it. Why exactly does ANYONE need to justify their vehicle purchase, aren't cars supposed to be something that exudes an emotional appeal/response? Why does a vehicle purchase have to be LOGICAL?

So if you're arguing AGAINST anyone that drives an SUV/truck for any purpose besides work-related, you'll also argue against anyone purchasing a sports car as a weekend cruiser? Many sports cars get bad gas mileage, are not practical, and can also be considered "excess".

You must live in a very boring world where a spoiler on a 4-door sedan would be considered ostentatious.
I agree that it's a gray area. I drive a G35 and a 530i, neither of which get fantastic mileage but both are much better than a large truck/suv and both are undoubtedly more enjoyable to drive from a vehicle dynamics/performance perspective. I never said SUV's are specifically for work, so if someone's towing a boat, has a large family, horses, ATV's, whatever then it seems like this person has a real need for this truck. If I live in a dense city lumbering around in a huge SUV/truck without ever putting it to work then you wouldn't be wrong to question why I'm paying the fuel penalty, size/maneuverability penalty, and generally making things difficult for people around me in a city like San Francisco. It just doesn't make sense. I'd feel the same way if I bought a Ferrari and spent every morning sitting in bumper to bumper traffic driving to work. I would either garage it or sell it and drive a more pedestrian vehicle. I'm not going to buy a SMART car, I'm not going to take public transport all the time, and I honestly like the looks of many trucks/SUV's, the brute force factor is visually great but it doesn't make much sense particularly in the city. I'm not saying all decisions in your life have to be based purely on logic (in fact, studies show that most people don't make decisions logically) but I'm also in the computer science field so my thought process might be a bit different and I try to evaluate the need for something in a fair way (particularly if I'm deciding on a purchase). So as cool as I think trucks are (and I always have), I realized that unless I have a large family or buy a boat sometime soon, I just don't need one. Again, its still a bit of a gray area and the important thing is that we have a legal right to make any purchase we want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC