Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 143,523 times

Advertisements

I'm moving my family to Chattanooga from DC and will be teaching at UTenn. We'd like to move to a neighborhood with the best schools and would prefer a more liberal community. We're also Jewish. It would be great if I could ride my bike to the University from our house, too. Your suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
congratulations on the teaching post!!! How old are the kids? How far of a bike ride is comfortable for you? Could you bring a down a good Jewish deli

Are you looking to buy or rent? We rented for a year before buying in order to get a good feel for the city, and are very happy with the area.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM

600 posts, read 2,261,513 times
The problem with areas around the university is that the neighborhoods are not safe. I wouldn't ride a bike around there. You'd be better off moving outside the city and driving to work.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:59 AM

22 posts, read 143,523 times
We have three kids -- one in elementary, middle, and high school. Ideally, I'd like to live within a couple of miles of the University, if that's possible to do and still be in the best school district. I welcome your suggestions!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:43 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Ah don't make me do it AGAIN!

How 'bout North Chattanooga/North Shore?

I'm not a bike rider but this would be "fairly" close with good schools and a safe neighborhood. Or even closer, the Fortwood/Vine area. This is an expensive part of "town" but it's filled with other professionals and the occasional frat house for fun, zip 37403. BUT the schools for that zone are not good so your child would have to attend one of our magnet schools or even go private.

Now if you are talking marathon biking... lol

Last edited by jkmewright; 06-10-2008 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 PM

i'm not the resident expert on best school districts, but have heard that Signal Mountain has excellent schools (elementary,middle & high school) It is a more than a couple of miles away though.

We're moving to an area with an excellent elementary, but not so hot middle school....if the situation doesn't improve we may have to send our now 3-year old to private or home-school.

If you rent first, then you'll get a better idea of where you'd like to settle. this may necessitate having the kids switch schools after buying, but it may be worth it so you get into the best area for you and the family.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Ah don't make me do it AGAIN!

How 'bout North Chattanooga/North Shore?

I'm not a bike rider but this would be "fairly" close with good schools and a safe neighborhood. Or even better, the Fortwood/Vine area. This is an expensive part of "town" but it's filled with other professionals and the occasional frat house for fun, zip 37403. BUT the schools for that zone are not good so your child would have to attend one of our magnet schools or even go private.

Now if you are talking marathon biking... lol
good call

someone was telling me that I could bike to work (Big Ridge to North Shore, yeah right)

Old 06-10-2008, 01:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad View Post
good call

someone was telling me that I could bike to work (Big Ridge to North Shore, yeah right)
ROFLROFL I mean it's ppooosssiiibbblllleeeee... lol You COULD but I don't know how many hours you have in the day to kill. You could also feasibly walk to Chicago but I don't see that happening either.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:47 PM

16 posts, read 53,638 times
Default North Chattanooga

I would second Norht Chattanooga for your needs. Normal Park is the best elementary school in town and they are expanding it to include middle school. There are definitely a number of Jewish families there and it is within biking distance from UTC. The area also includes a local organic grocery store, Greenlife. You will find people of all political persuasions, and even the "conservatives" will be very friendly and welcoming.

We have 2 relatively large synagogies in town- Mizpah (reform) and Bnai Zion (conservative). There is also an orthodox shul in town.

Welcome!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:37 PM

my office is next to Greenlife...it's a great spot and centrally located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga