Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 58,277 times

Advertisements

I second Signal Mtn.
And it's really not a "mountain" per say. It's a large hill if you look at it from a national perspective. From the bottom of the mtn to the top is 3 miles.

It's a prefect location for families. About 16K people and just got a brand new Middle/High School. Both Elementary Schools are ranked pretty high in the state. Thrasher and Nolan.You'd want to stay on the Hamilton County side of the mtn b/c the Sequatchie schools are TERRIBLE! And they bus them off the other end of the mtn for school.

You'd be 15 minutes Tops from UTC. And driving up and down the mtn really isn't THAT cumbersome. Really it's not. There is a walmart right at the bottom of the mtn as well as a Bi-Lo.

The community is tight and family oriented. Tons of sporting and community opportunities. Safe as well. Kids ride their bikes all over the place.
There are a few fast food restaurants and a few dine in restaurants as well. A community pool and a Private Golf Club with a pool. There is a grocery store and 3 gas stations. 2 community Arts Centers that provide all sorts of events and lessons. Several playgrounds, several baseball fields and churches. But no synagogues.
Tons of hiking trails and biking trails. There are even places to go off-roading and 4 wheeling towards the back end of the mtn in Sequatchie County.
Some people drive down the mtn and bike to work and back and some people shuttle down together and ride to work.
There is a library, a recycle center, and a transfer station.

If you don't go with Signal mtn I'd personally suggest North Chattanooga. But the only good school is Normal Park and like mentioned by others it's a magnet school and really tough to get into. But it's a really good school. And there is always the option of private. For high school you're top options would be McCallie (all boys) 6th -12th grade, $20K a year, GPS (all girls) $17K a year I think. And Baylor co-ed same price range. There are smaller ones that are religious.

Another area would be the other side of the river called East Brainard. There is an elementary school called Westview that is really good and they are in the process of building a Middle/high school. Right now they go to Ooltewah middle and high...way over crowded. That area is more spread out and also closer to Hamilton Place Mall it's quite congested. You're looking at 25 minutes or more of commute time.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 05:17 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
haven't you seen the movie: "The Chattanoogan who went up the hill with the Spaceship house on it, and came down Signal Mountain" ????

Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 15,055 times
I live on Signal Mountain and agree with everything that has been said. However, I will also add that they have laws and ordinances for just about everything and seem to have the attitude nothing is to trivial to be regulated and police add a whole new dimension to speed trap. Also you mentioned looking for more liberal folks and I would not characterize Signal Mountain as liberal, or even center right.

I do commute to work on my bicycle occasionally. The trip into town is great but that 3 miles back up the mountain can get tiring. But if you are seriously considering bicycle communiting, I would suggest the North Chattnooga area. If schools are the major concern, then Signal Mountain may be your best bet.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,264 times
Default Fellow DC Metro Liberals Moving to Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallison123 View Post
I'm moving my family to Chattanooga from DC and will be teaching at UTenn. We'd like to move to a neighborhood with the best schools and would prefer a more liberal community. We're also Jewish. It would be great if I could ride my bike to the University from our house, too. Your suggestions?
Hello,
My husband and I also live in the D.C. Metro area and are strongly leaning toward moving to Chattanooga next spring. He is a business professor and I am a physician. Part of my new job will will include teaching at UTenn. I have been searching the Internet to get an idea of where we will live as well. Perhaps we can share what we learn with one another.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,229 times
We are also planning on relocating from the DC area after my husband retires from the USAF next spring. He is looking at teaching Chemistry in one of the high schools and I am a Speech Pathologist who will be looking for a position in the medical field. Our kids are 3 and 5. We have been looking in the East Brainard area for the most part.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:58 AM

77 posts, read 187,823 times
Default The Search is on

Our move from NYC is planned for next summer and we have been to Chattanooga 2x already. We have looked on both sides of the river and obviously it depends on taste/desire. My husband has closer southern roots and is drawn to Hixson side. Of course I am a city girl ready for southern life, so I like Ooltewah. To me, you can't lose either way. We have 2 young girls (7 & 8) who would be happy any place they can run outside at their own home and not have to trek to a park if we didn't feel like it.

We are leaning towards Ooltewah, but if my DH gets job in Murfreesboro, the commute is easier from Hixson side.

Northern transplants lets keep in touch in how the search is going. Glad you joined the Chatt thread. It has been extremely helpful to us and we look forward to meeting everyone face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga