Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:07 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times

Advertisements

Mary, we love our magnet schools so much parents will camp out for 2 weeks to get their child in lol Who's gonna be out there with me next year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:50 AM

111 posts, read 561,116 times
Are you serious? You actually camp out outside the school for two weeks? That sounds ridiculous. Do you have to do it every year?

Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 AM

You're right, it is totally ridiculous. I "heard" that this might change but... It's for CSAS and CSLA and once your child is in, that's it. Well, you do have to do volunteer hours each year but no more camping. These are the only ones here that has this yearly camp out.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:53 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
I'm camping out now as we speak....living in a tent on Old Dallas Road...in anticipation of the arrival of my unborn son.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 AM

25 posts, read 88,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallison123 View Post
I'm moving my family to Chattanooga from DC and will be teaching at UTenn. We'd like to move to a neighborhood with the best schools and would prefer a more liberal community. We're also Jewish. It would be great if I could ride my bike to the University from our house, too. Your suggestions?
Congratulations on your teaching post. We relocated from Chicago three years ago, and found most of what you are seeking in our neighborhood in East Brainerd (EmeraldChattanooga.org). While it is a longer drive to UT, you can walk your kids to a highly regarded grade school (Westview Elementary) and a new middle school/high school which will be completed in 2009. You won't find that in most areas. There is a playground attached to the grade school, and a neighborhood pool. Hamilton Place Mall, and a number of doctor's offices are in the East Brainerd area, so it is a convenient area to live with kids. Many people relocate to this part of town, so neighbors are fairly open-minded to people from other cultures and religions.

I agree you might want to think twice about biking to UT ... there are some sketchy areas near the university. Other areas with great schools are Signal Mountain and Lookout Mountain, but they can be inconvenient since you have to drive down the mountains to find restaurants, shopping and everyday services.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm still camping out...can someone please bring some TP

Old 07-17-2008, 04:45 AM

I left some under the bushes behind the caretaker's shack...

Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM

danka

Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 AM

23 posts, read 55,466 times
Default RE: Liberal family moving to Chattanooga

I lived in Chattanooga for years, did a degree at UTC and had a child who attended Normal Park school, and I agree with what people say about that school. I liked North Chattanooga because a lot of UTC people lived around there and I like being around academic types, but I've lived in England for years and have no idea what it's like around there now. I lived not far from the UTC campus myself (although not in student dorms) because I simply enjoyed living nearby.

I'm not Jewish, but had Jewish friends in Chattanooga and remember it as having a thriving Jewish community so I don't think you'll have any problems there.

As far as finding other liberal types - well, it can be hit and miss. I grew up in Georgia but have a liberal worldview despite my upbringing (and it was a huge shock to me living here in England to discover that in America nowadays, the term "liberal" is often considered a dirty word). What I always did in my time in the south was try and get along on a superficial level with everyone regardless of their political/social viewpoints - because you pretty much have to and conservatives outnumber liberals by a large margin - but I actively sought out those who shared my politics and interests and avoided those I vehemently disagreed with. Being part of the academic community is a big plus for finding like-minded people.

Good luck to you in your new life down south.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:55 AM

I like a liberal helping of mashed potatoes around Thanksgiving.......does that qualify?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga