Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 02:53 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,653,299 times

Advertisements

Along the lines of Toddle's recommendations, My family is associated with the Jewish Community Federation of Greater Chattanooga and I cannot tell you what a great group of people they are. If you want to become a part of a fantastic bunch of people check them out:

Jewish Community Federation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:31 PM

16 posts, read 53,604 times
Default Actually,

I did relocate here myself 2 years ago. We have been quite happy. I have lived in cities big(Atlanta) and small (Augusta,Ga) Chattanooga is better for us than both of those. There are plenty of things to do with my young family. There are great restaurants and activities. The city is very clean. There are large numbers of socially conscious people. We are even invloved in a Co-op farm share.
There are great schools in the area both public and affordable private. Health insurance in Chattanooga is the same or better than other areas, imo.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I didn't see the need for such large scale negativity.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:42 PM

111 posts, read 561,116 times
Toddle-

Could you list the public schools in the area that you think are great? So far the contributors to this thread have convinced me that the only good public schools are in Signal Mountain, Ooltewah & Soddy Daisy.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
Big Ridge Elementary
Normal Park
McConnell
Alan
Loftin
etc...

Old 06-19-2008, 05:39 PM

Thanks TriDad, but could you list the area of town these schools are in instead. I'm not familiar with Chattanooga--never been there.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:03 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
LW will have to fill you in with those details. Think parts North Chattanooga & Hixson. I'm sure there are others too.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:58 PM

16 posts, read 53,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Toddle-

Could you list the public schools in the area that you think are great? So far the contributors to this thread have convinced me that the only good public schools are in Signal Mountain, Ooltewah & Soddy Daisy.
Like others have said Normal Park is one of the best elementary schools in the state. It is about to expand to 8th grade. Normal Park is in North Chattanooga, but is a Magnet school. I believe that parents who work downtown are eligible.

Chattanooga School for Arts and Sciences in East Brainerd has a good reputation and is also a Magnet school. There are many other good schools in East Brainerd, from what I've heard.

As far as private schools Boyd Buchanon has a good rep for value as does St Peter's

Old 06-21-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks for the info. Could you explain what a magnet school is? Sorry to sound like such an ignoramous, but education choices here in Vermont are a lot more simple--no choice really.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:13 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary77 View Post
Thanks for the info. Could you explain what a magnet school is? Sorry to sound like such an ignoramous, but education choices here in Vermont are a lot more simple--no choice really.
Here is one article that popped up when I googled "Magnet School"; there are others.

What is a Magnet School? - Public School Review

Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 AM

Thanks. That explained magnet schools pretty well. So how do Chattanoogans regard magnet schools? Are they popular? Are they better than the regular public school options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga