Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm a Huntsville resident of two years that has, believe it or not, never been to Chattanooga. I've been laid up for a couple months with a broken leg and to celebrate getting back on my feet, we are planning my birthday weekend in Chattanooga with our two young kids.

What hotels would you recommend for families? Maybe someplace with an affordable suite? Or, not a suite, but I thought maybe it'd be fun for the kids to stay in the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel.. is that nice?

Also we were planning on doing the Aquarium and maybe the Children's museum (we have one of those regional memberships) - any other recommendations for fun or dining? We'll just be there 1 or 2 nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:09 PM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjenn View Post
What hotels would you recommend for families? Maybe someplace with an affordable suite? Or, not a suite, but I thought maybe it'd be fun for the kids to stay in the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel.. is that nice?
The Hilton Garden Inn over by the baseball park and the Children's Museum worked well for us when we visited with two small kids; the Hampton Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn, and several others are all there in the same area around the Aquarium. You can often get very good weekend deals on the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel -- still within walking distance of the Aquarium and right on the free downtown electric bus line. The "cheap" rooms are often in the modern annex at the back of the building instead of the historic main building, but the newer rooms are very large, with lots of room for the kids to move around in; the older rooms have all been recently renovated, and my only complaint the time we stayed in one was that there was no counter space in the bathroom at all -- just a freestanding pedestal sink with no counters or cabinets, so no place to put toiletries, etc.

The train car rooms at the Choo Choo are fun, but the vast majority of the guest rooms are in modern buildings at the back of the property that have seen better days and are a long walk from the lobby, restaurants, gardens, etc. So if you can't get or don't want to spend for the train car rooms, skip staying there. It's at the end of the free electric bus service route around downtown, so even if you stay elsewhere you can swing down there easily enough to check out the shops and ride the vintage New Orleans streetcar.

Quote:
Also we were planning on doing the Aquarium and maybe the Children's museum (we have one of those regional memberships) - any other recommendations for fun or dining? We'll just be there 1 or 2 nights.
Love the Aquarium, love the Creative Discovery Museum. Be sure to walk across the Walnut Street Bridge (it's closed to car traffic -- pedestrians only) to the north shore of the river and check out Coolidge Park with its amazing carousel. It's outside of downtown, but the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum is always fun also. And of course there's Rock City, the Incline Railway, Lookout Mountain, etc.

Big River Grille and Lupi's Pizza Pies are among our family's favorite spots to eat downtown. Big River started in Chattanooga, and while it's now part of the Gordon Biersch Brewery chain, it's still worthwhile. Lupi's is a local spot that is fun and interesting. And there are lots of other options around.

Our family usually spends a weekend in Chattanooga at least once a year, and we never have trouble finding more things to do than we can fit into a couple of days.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,155 times
rackensack must have channeled me, that is a very good report. The only correction is that the Walnut Street bridge is currently under renovation and closed. But, you'll want to make your way across the river to visit Frasier street, nonetheless.

Also for breakfast, you'll want to go to Blue Plate down by the river a few hundred yards from the Imax theatre on Chestnut Street. And order the pancakes!

Old 01-27-2010, 06:40 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,239,323 times
I also agree with grizzlybear and rackensack... excellent recommendations. The Walnut St. bridge is scheduled to reopen in May. For now, walking to the North Shore is along the wide sidewalks of the Market St. bridge.

But I'll also add a recommendation to drive to St. Elmo (just follow Broad St. south from the Aquarium) and ride the incline railroad to the top. Enjoy the view from the highest public observation platform on Lookout Mt., then walk a few blocks north to Point Park. It's a small entrance fee ($3, on the honor system) to get into the park. Keep walking downhill, past the paved trails, to the Ochs Museum. It's been closed for years, but the observation decks are open and the panoramic views from the northernmost tip of Lookout Mt. are spectacular. On the way down and back up make sure to stop and read the informational signs about how what you're looking at affected the Battles for Chattanooga, which directly affected the outcome of the Civil War.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Picture in newspaper today about the walking bridge closed.
YES, GRIZZLY good info , congrats on 300th.!
....Believe you will be in the newspaper someday .? . Today.?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 AM

1,618 posts, read 4,787,438 times
Great recommendations! Thanks!

Also should ask... to keep in mind I will be recovering from a broken leg. Walking, but still in a support boot, and can't handle steep or treacherous terrain or walking all day long without rest. How does that affect some of these outings like to Point Park, etc?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Also should ask... to keep in mind I will be recovering from a broken leg. Walking, but still in a support boot, and can't handle steep or treacherous terrain or walking all day long without rest. How does that affect some of these outings like to Point Park, etc?
Pretty much takes Point Park out of consideration. Ochs museum is about 1/2 mile from the Incline, and there are non-handicap accessible steps and slopes as you get closer to the museum. The Incline itself, though, is still available, and the view from the observation deck still good.

Wow... I just checked the web site and looks like prices have gone up a bit since I last rode the incline a few years ago, and now they charge for parking at the base. Still an awesome ride, but the cost will add up if you're bringing several people. Here's the web site.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM

137 posts, read 430,756 times
Point Park is definitely not out of the picture. That is to day, you can easily drive up to the top and walk right in. I for one don't really generally recommend the Incline. It's expensive ($14 a person, I think) for just a ride up and down with no museum attached. And the views aren't any better than what you get at Point Park. However, If you're particularly interested in riding a really steep trolley (which is pretty neat) then you might want to try it out. Among Lookout Mountain activities it's one of the best ones for you since you're immobilised.

Also on Lookout Mountain, check out the off the beaten path Natural Rock Bridge. Very historic, and it was recently made into a public park. If you're interested in Civil War history, Craven's House is worth a stop. On the western side of Lookout Mountain is Reflection Riding Arboretum, one of my most favourite places in Chattanooga, surrounded on three sides by the Lookout Mountain unit of Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park.

Which brings another idea forward: Chickamauga Battlefield. If you're mildly interested in history, this is a must see. Chickamauga was the second largest engagement of the Civil War after Gettysburg and the last significant Confederate victory. In my view it's a very pretty park what with the rolling terrain and preserved fields. Good place for bike riding, but not bad for driving at slow speed and frequent stops.

Of course, the aquarium is top-notch, as is the Children's Museum. Consider a cruise into the Tennessee River Gorge, as well, with the River Gorge Explorer or Blue Moon Cruises.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 PM

871 posts, read 3,017,534 times
I'll second several above recommendations! We, a family of 4 with 2 teenaged sons, visited Chatt last July for a week. Never had been there. We honestly are considering it over anyplace else to live in a few years.

Hilton Garden Inn was great. Within walking distance is Ben & Jerry's, Panera, Cheeburger Cheeburger, Big River Grille (ate there twice, loved it), the aquarium, Hennen's steak house, Blue Plate, Sticky Fingers, etc etc etc.

Take the kids to Ruby Falls and Rock City up on Lookout Mountain. There are a large number of things to do and so little time! You will not be able to negotiate everything with a healing leg, but some is better than none.

We actually enjoyed breakfast at Aretha Frankenstein's across the river. The place seemed kind of unkempt and dumpy but it wound up being eclectic and the food was good, the portions huge. There's also a weird dragon museum in the area we took the boys to. It's owned by a woman doctor and ten bucks to get in, but a place to consider.

Have a blast!

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCuzco View Post
Which brings another idea forward: Chickamauga Battlefield. If you're mildly interested in history, this is a must see. Chickamauga was the second largest engagement of the Civil War after Gettysburg and the last significant Confederate victory. In my view it's a very pretty park what with the rolling terrain and preserved fields. Good place for bike riding, but not bad for driving at slow speed and frequent stops.
I didn't think of Chickmamauga Battlefield because I always think of it as a walking/running/biking destination with all the trails, but there's an excellent auto-tour available that hits all the major sites. And the museum is great if you have any interest in such things as old cannons and battle history. They used to sell (rent? loan?) tapes that you would play while driving along the auto tour that explained what you were looking at, how it looked during the battle, and what was happening. Some people just stay in the car, but most get out at the stops to look around.

I've never been there and not seen deer. Anywhere from a few to huge herds that eat in the protected fields.

The Dragon Museum is also a great stop if you're interested in fantasy and dragon lore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Chattanooga