Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Further, what kind of supervision could teens have who are able to carry a gun to a car and go cruising w/ a bunch of other kids? Where are the parents and why are they not monitoring their kids better?
Exactly.
Ultimately someone MUST be held responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Exactly.
Ultimately someone MUST be held responsible.
That's the trouble, mullman, no one will be held responsible and this kind of incident will continue to be repeated. Stupidity isn't a crime, but it certainly leads to many instances of wreckless and criminal behavior. Perhaps, if all parties involved were fined $500 or so, all of the those individuals , might think twice before repeating it!

Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
That's the trouble, mullman, no one will be held responsible and this kind of incident will continue to be repeated. Stupidity isn't a crime, but it certainly leads to many instances of wreckless and criminal behavior. Perhaps, if all parties involved were fined $500 or so, all of the those individuals , might think twice before repeating it!
I think it should be a lot stiffer than $500.

I think the parents should be held responsible first. There is no excuse for not knowing that their teen had a weapon in his/her possession. I had teens under my roof and did regular room checks. Yep, I got called the Gestapo, but everyone learned that was MY HOUSE and their rooms were MY DOMAIN to search as I pleased (their father and I always did it with them present).

Someone has to be in charge and unfortunately, I think a lot of children are being raised like wolves in the wild these days - no accountability.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

852 posts, read 2,467,524 times
According to Fox news today the gun toting teenager was in fact 22 so he was not a child. I am not in favour of guns anyhow and especially not riding around in a car. I can kind of understand the stupidity of the victim as perhaps adrenalin kicked in and he grabbed the gun. I don't blame him being angry that nothing is being done because you can be as sure at hell that if it was the other way around there would be an investigation. The son of a friend of mine works at an autobell in a very nice part of town and he says the amount of times that he has been cleaning cars and a gun is tucked under the seat is quite a lot. Some of these cars are SUV's and vans carrying around the kids to soccer etc.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 AM

Fox has taken down its story - unless there is some link I am missing.

I am still very confused as to who did what, and when.

Further, this story indicates no one has been charged with anything. ????

Police: Road rage 'victim' could be to blame - News14.com (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/623301/police--road-rage--victim--could-be-to-blame?ap=1&MP4 - broken link)

Old 03-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
According to Fox news today the gun toting teenager was in fact 22 so he was not a child. I am not in favour of guns anyhow and especially not riding around in a car. I can kind of understand the stupidity of the victim as perhaps adrenalin kicked in and he grabbed the gun. I don't blame him being angry that nothing is being done because you can be as sure at hell that if it was the other way around there would be an investigation. The son of a friend of mine works at an autobell in a very nice part of town and he says the amount of times that he has been cleaning cars and a gun is tucked under the seat is quite a lot. Some of these cars are SUV's and vans carrying around the kids to soccer etc.
Maybe folks who have moved here don't realize that it is against the law to have a firearm in your vehicle here in NC unless it is out in plain site. You cannot have one tucked under a seat or in a glove compartment.

If you have children in the car, that is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of and can't imagine someone riding around w/ a weapon in the car when children are in the vehicle.

I have never known anyone to do that. I do know several folks, tho, who are licensed to carry a concealed weapon. And I have known plenty of folks who have racks in their trucks with weapons plainly displayed or who lay their firearm on the dashboard when in their vehicle - and driving alone at night (especially in deserted or high crime areas).

Old 03-16-2010, 12:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Most folks that CCW carry that weapon on them, not stuffed between or under the seats or in a glove compartment. After all what good is the weapon if you don't have immediate access to it?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Most folks that CCW carry that weapon on them, not stuffed between or under the seats or in a glove compartment. After all what good is the weapon if you don't have immediate access to it?
Exactly. That is why I find it really strange that folks would be violating the law by stuffing weapons around spaces in their vehicles, lol. People who have CCW licenses don't have to do that - and folk who don't have a CCW license are risking a big problem should they get stopped for even a routine traffic violation.

It is simply a nutty thing to do. As I said, I grew up here and have never known anyone to stuff a gun under a seat unless they were a gangsta. I have never heard of a child pulling out their parent's gun in a car and shooting themselves or someone else accidentally, either. It may have happened but if so many Soccer Mommies have guns tucked under seats, looks like someone would have had a tragedy w/ a kid in the car by now.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:27 PM

108 posts, read 119,438 times
Pulling over individuals with guns is a regular occurance in some areas of the city. But this situation is such a rarity because it involves white kids in a nice part of the city with weapons. It is highly unusual. I suppose this is really big news? Guess we have the double standard thing going? These situations are bad regardless.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:57 PM

852 posts, read 2,467,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Fox has taken down its story - unless there is some link I am missing.

I am still very confused as to who did what, and when.

Further, this story indicates no one has been charged with anything. ????

Police: Road rage 'victim' could be to blame - News14.com (http://news14.com/charlotte-news-104-content/top_stories/623301/police--road-rage--victim--could-be-to-blame?ap=1&MP4 - broken link)

Here's the link that I was reading.
South Charlotte Road Rage Turns Violent | FOX Charlotte | NC News (http://www.foxcharlotte.com/news/nc-news/87742732.html - broken link)

It all sounds very fishy to me no matter what the ages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte