Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:23 AM

26 posts, read 162,088 times

Advertisements

hmmmm I used to love Church's Chicken when I was younger...hadn't had it in a while... Hadn't had Popeyes in a while, but it didn't leave an impression with me...

Zaxby's (another georgia based one) is not really a fried chicken place...more or less fingers/wings... they are good and am surprised a lot of people around here haven't been to zaxby's...don't care too much for their wings though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 07:57 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
This is a serious sore spot with me. Bojangles can't touch Popeyes with a 10-foot pole. Last time I went to Bojangles (and the last time I will be going), the food looked like toy food, and didn't taste much better. I can't tell you how much I wish a Popeyes would open here.
Agreed. I don't eat a lot of fast food in general, but once every so often I'd just get a craving for that greasy, spicy chicken from Popeye's. I did hit up a Bojangles here once, thinking it might be the same thing (like someone else mentioned, I thought it was the same place with a different name, Like Hardees and Carl's Jr., or Checkers and Rally's)....nowhere close.

Popeye's > Bojangles

Chik-Fil-A is good, but they're never open on Sunday's when I might really have a taste for them.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Zaxby's is very good. I don't put them in the same class though as we're talking about. The similarities stop at the fact that they all serve chicken!

Sunny, if you haven't had fried turkey other than what Bojangles serves (I didn't even know they did this), you're missing out! My family doesn't bother with baking turkey anymore...it's all fried! When done correctly, it's definitely on my list of favorite things to eat.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:46 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Agreed. I don't eat a lot of fast food in general, but once every so often I'd just get a craving for that greasy, spicy chicken from Popeye's. I did hit up a Bojangles here once, thinking it might be the same thing (like someone else mentioned, I thought it was the same place with a different name, Like Hardees and Carl's Jr., or Checkers and Rally's)....nowhere close.

Popeye's > Bojangles

Chik-Fil-A is good, but they're never open on Sunday's when I might really have a taste for them.
LOL.....I thought Bojangles and Popeyes were the same thing too! Not so much. And ITA with Chick-Fil-A teasing me by never being open on Sundays when I need some. I completely respect why they close, but sometimes I just really need a chicken strips salad.

I had some Popeyes today because I was driving back from Myrtle Beach....YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 7,509 times
I see commercials for popeyes but dont know where one is in the Charlotte area.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
OMG, I would take Bojangle's over Popeye's anyday, hands down. If you have not tried it, you have got to. Just love the dirty rice, hubby and I cannot get enough. Chic Fil A, another favorite but luckily had those in MD in well so was very excited to see them here. Popeye's can just stay up north, LOL.
Actually, Popeye's was founded in New Orleans by Al Copeland (who died last year) and spread out from there. It's a Cajun thing!

Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,886 times
Only one in NC is at RDU.

Someone once told me that Bojangles and Popeyes were related somehow and they had some sort of agreement on territory. So Popeyes stays in their corner and Bojangles stays in their's.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:59 PM

571 posts, read 715,202 times
I think this is a question of what you're used to. When I was in college in Charlotte, I had never been to a Popeye's, but I tried Bojangles and got addicted. Every weekend, my friends and I made a point of going there. When I moved to DC, there were no Bojangles, so I tried Popeye's one evening. I didn't like it. I went only one more time after that and still didn't like it. When I moved to San Diego, there was no Bojangle's (or Popeye's as far as I know), so I tried Church's. I thought Church's was nasty and never went back. So I'm only left with KFC here. Well, El Pollo Loco is also here and is good and certainly healthier, but their pieces are tiny (I guess their chickens aren't hormone injected ). But whenever I visit NC, I cannot resist going to Bojangles while I'm there. As for whether Bojangle's and Popeye's are affiliated with one another, that does not appear to be the case, at least not in 2004 when the following article was written. It does appear, however that Popeye's and Church's are affiliated with one another. Check this out: Bojangles' risks turf war, targets AFC chicken chains' home market | Nation's Restaurant News | Find Articles at BNET

Old 03-01-2009, 06:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Yeah, some years back Al Copeland sold the chain but, as I remember, he kept the spices mix and sold it to them under contract. Interesting article.

Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Only one in NC is at RDU.
Actually not true - there is a Popeye's somewhere on 85 before you hit Greensboro - its in a truck stop somewhere - stopped there a few times (the truck stop, not actually the Popeye's) while driving east to Raleigh or points further east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte