Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times

Advertisements

What do you all think about that? I had a neighbor tell me this weekend that she has heard people say that they think the influx of newcomers to various areas of the metro has raised testing scores. I just listened but I thought - well that could work both ways . . . depending on many factors, including the education level of the parents . . . So if an area has people moving in who are not well educated and do not emphasize education for their children, I would doubt it would raise testing scores - in fact - it may lower test scores.

Are there surveys to compare what areas in the metro have scores that have gone up - in areas with a high % of newcomers?

Any thoughts on this one?

Last edited by brokensky; 07-07-2008 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: syntax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
I have to agree with what you heard it was the same way where we lived in NJ it got so populated and the area was filled with people mainly from NY and other parts of NJ and let me just say the test scores went up tremendously...and one of the schools was in trouble with their scores and over a few years time the school was a school of excellence...I dont think it was just coincidence...IMO...but on the other hand Im not a fan of Test Scores because I dont think it tells the real story about the school..As we know that 1st hand no matter how great our elem school was where we lived before, dh and I thought otherwise...

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM

529 posts, read 1,979,893 times
It goes both ways. I think it is a push at best. Great teachers are what make the difference. Those that moved here were not taught the NCSCOS (North Carolina Standard Course of Study) in there previous states. Look at the demographics of CMS and the actual county itself. The new people are choosing the "best" areas or private school. On the other hand you have a lot of people moving to Charlotte (see Sundays Observer story on women's shelters and the number of kids coming) that come from hardship and they have no options but CMS and limited places to stay. So, my opinion is it is a push. Great question to think about Ani! Thanks for getting my mind going today

Old 07-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I have to agree with what you heard it was the same way where we lived in NJ it got so populated and the area was filled with people mainly from NY and other parts of NJ and let me just say the test scores went up tremendously...and one of the schools was in trouble with their scores and over a few years time the school was a school of excellence...I dont think it was just coincidence...IMO...
That is very interesting, Berry! I wonder about teachers, too - how many of them are experienced, how many are long time in the system, how many may be from other areas . . . I would think that would have influence, as well.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,953,869 times
I'm not sure what to think. One part of me thinks its kind of arrogant. Its to say without the influx of people Charlotte was a backwards City. I deal with all walks of life and I can tell you not all of the people moving here are contributing to the area.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
It goes both ways. I think it is a push at best. Great teachers are what make the difference. Those that moved here were not taught the NCSCOS (North Carolina Standard Course of Study) in there previous states. Look at the demographics of CMS and the actual county itself. The new people are choosing the "best" areas or private school. On the other hand you have a lot of people moving to Charlotte (see Sundays Observer story on women's shelters and the number of kids coming) that come from hardship and they have no options but CMS and limited places to stay. So, my opinion is it is a push. Great question to think about Ani! Thanks for getting my mind going today
LOL!!! We posted a minute apart and I see you were thinking about the teachers, as well! Seems logical that this will influence things - positively or negatively (or maybe it is a wash???)

And yes, I was thinking also about the zip codes and affluence w/in zip codes - the demographic profiles of families living w/in particular school districts. Hmmmm. Seems to me you made a great point - people w/ $$ can CHOOSE wh/ district . . . people who are struggling are much more limited w/ school selection as a basis for where they may have to live.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
I'm not sure what to think. One part of me thinks its kind of arrogant. Its to say without the influx of people Charlotte was a backwards City. I deal with all walks of life and I can tell you not all of the people moving here are contributing to the area.
Well, QCM, that is why I made no comment to what I heard! LOL! Cause one part of me thought - well, now that sounds like a put down . . . but I decided to reserve judgement and see what really may be going on (or find out if nothing has really changed). I wanted to just think about it for a while - and do some research - and find out what others think - what insight everyone here might have . . .

Old 07-07-2008, 11:23 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,391,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!!! We posted a minute apart and I see you were thinking about the teachers, as well! Seems logical that this will influence things - positively or negatively (or maybe it is a wash???)

And yes, I was thinking also about the zip codes and affluence w/in zip codes - the demographic profiles of families living w/in particular school districts. Hmmmm. Seems to me you made a great point - people w/ $$ can CHOOSE wh/ district . . . people who are struggling are much more limited w/ school selection as a basis for where they may have to live.

that goes for anywhere in the country though...not just charlotte....NJ was the same way, when u went to the affluent areas the schools were great but again, what makes a great school and that happens to be the Teachers the education of the teachers, the Administration and the main component would be the parents...so I think it is a double edge Sword because NOT all affluent areas have parents that care about their kids education they just care how big their homes are and what kind of cars they drive etc...

Old 07-07-2008, 11:33 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,759 times
I don't believe it... and won't unless the stats prove me wrong.

I'm from the North and trust me, people are no smarter up there than down here

Old 07-07-2008, 11:45 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,036,805 times
Charlotte has received a lot of newcomers, but the majority of those moving do not have kids in school. I can mirror that some post here come off as a bit arrogant. Especially if you consider that the entire state is seeing improving test scores, not just Charlotte and other suburbans areas that attract "transplants", "newcomers", or whatever other politically correct term I'm supposed to use here. Besides, standardized tests are a pathetic way to measure intelligence.

Like I said, Charlotte and North Carolina as a whole are changing fast because of suburban influx, but most of these people are young and single, not the family types. If test scores are going up it is because everyone is doing better, not just the arrogant ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: