Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Having just come back from a trip to Michigan where my MIL told me over and over that the reason NC recruits from up there is because MI has far superior schools and a far better work ethic than NC so that is why they recruit from there.

UGH! Yeah, right, that is it.....NC is full of dumb folks and a poor work ethic....we have no edumacated folks here.

Sorry, can you tell I am still really irritated?

Dawn
It is funny that Michigan is the least productive state in the U.S. It trails behind the top ten industrial states. The leading two top ten states are North Carolina and Texas. This is based on production quanity based on like item production. The southern states lead the way with Michigan on the bottom. I would guess it is because of unions. On the other hand, I have several friends from Michigan, but they "ain't no geniuses". I guess that somebody's daddy told him/her that southerners are all lazy dumb@sses. Oh well, what can we do? We have to just pity the uniformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:38 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
With the difference , of course , that the north has evolved into liberal thinking and we are still only red states.
Well, where was Archie Bunker from?

Old 07-08-2008, 11:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Well, where was Archie Bunker from?
Archie Bunker, ROFL! Yes, paragon of open minded thinking.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Archie Bunker, ROFL! Yes, paragon of open minded thinking.
Explain it to them Edith, I have to go to the turlet!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:02 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
Quote:
Explain it to them Edith, I have to go to the turlet!
ROFL oh how I loved Archie Bunker....

Old 07-08-2008, 05:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If we state that newcomers are causing a rise in school test scores then it would be fair to assume that they are also responsible for crime and gang activity.
Definitely. How long until native North Carolinians start quoting this wild speculation as fact?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:15 PM

549 posts, read 1,740,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Having just come back from a trip to Michigan where my MIL told me over and over that the reason NC recruits from up there is because MI has far superior schools and a far better work ethic than NC so that is why they recruit from there.

UGH! Yeah, right, that is it.....NC is full of dumb folks and a poor work ethic....we have no edumacated folks here.

Sorry, can you tell I am still really irritated?

Dawn
Tell your MIL that the only reason that NC school districts have to recruit teachers from out of state is that our population is booming. MI is dying, the state's best talent has gone to IL for years, and the state of MI would be lucky to have the same problems as NC.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:47 PM

Newcomers in total are probably a mixed bag for the Charlotte area in regards to the raising and lowering school test scores. A transplant that moves into Charlotte buying an $800,000 home will probably have children that will raise test scores in the schools they attend. The illegal alien that helped build that house may have children not terribly proficient in English with the effect of dropping test score averages in the schools they end up attending. Areas of the country that become "hot" tend to draw in people at all income levels.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,312,545 times
Quote:
Areas of the country that become "hot" tend to draw in people at all income levels.
Great point as usual.

Most of the transplants I run into are from the NE, which historically has had much higher rated public education systems than what we have here, for what ever reasons. I have not seen a list published recently, like used to be published ranking states. NC was in the bottom 10 systems for years, if not decades. Now if someone moves from an area with great public schools and enters our systems I would think our scores would, over time, become stronger. This is not the arena to talk about good vs bad schools or CLT vs RDU systems, just the great state of NC in general.

With that being said, Charlotte has a history of some excellent large and small private schools. Some new comers chose to go that route. Obviously the private schools would have no bearing on the public school scores.

Just food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Tell your MIL that the only reason that NC school districts have to recruit teachers from out of state is that our population is booming. MI is dying, the state's best talent has gone to IL for years, and the state of MI would be lucky to have the same problems as NC.
I chuckle at the MI ad campaign that has been running on TV and radio talking about what a great place MI is for business.
Nothing against MI, I think it is a beautiful place, at least the areas I have visited (lakes, etc).
But if it is such a great place for business, then why are so many people leaving?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,894,400 times
I responded to this post yesterday. It is gone now? My posting was based on reality and fact. There was nothing racist about it. I used race to get my point across. It seems to be apparant that this thread can be used freely by people of certain races and/or ethnic groups to find where they can live and socialize with their own race or ethnicity, yet I can't use factual information to get a point across it a specific race is innocently mentioned. Why the hypocracy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: