Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ahh but everyone blends here so nicely One big happy family..

Ok sorry that was off topic
HA HA HA!! The fun is . . . different opinions spice up life . . . and ya know - we really are pretty much a big happy family. I doubt we are any more dysfunctional than most any other family (wh/ may not be saying a whole lot!!!!)

All I know is . . . I want our children to get the very best education possible . . . and all the good things that go into that mix - good teachers, principals . . . willing and conscientious students . . . parents who are involved . . . and facilities that provide a good environment . . . and whatever other "magic" goes into making a school special . . . I want that for our kids here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
I have a cousin that was honor roll student studying nursing in high school but when she got to college she struggle with the program.
Even what we think is best and judging by high school test scores do not really prove that the schools are providing what is actually needed in college to survive as adult, and hopefully become a very knowledgeable in their profession.
It may prove that even if certain high schools with high transplants ratio with high school scores can be misleading in certain knowledge that a kid actually receives.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I have a cousin that was honor roll student studying nursing in high school but when she got to college she struggle with the program.
Even what we think is best and judging by high school test scores do not really prove that the schools are providing what is actually needed in college to survive as adult, and hopefully become a very knowledgeable in their profession.
It may prove that even if certain high schools with high transplants ratio with high school scores can be misleading in certain knowledge that a kid actually receives.
Sunny, I have had a lot of college kids tell me that despite doing well in high school, they had never really learned (or been taught) how to study! Also - how to write a good solid essay. Those things are so fundamental to college.

Also, I think high schools need to provide more classes in basic skills such as filling out IRS tax forms, how to manage credit and how to create a budget . . . I was so lucky. We had a sociology course in high school that was taught by a very innovative man (who later b/cm the school district superintendent). He included all that stuff in one section of the course. He even had us go through the process of buying a house and filling out the contract . . . and applying for a loan. How to balance a check book. Simple stuff but you know . . . out of all the things I learned in high school - nothing was more fundamentally useful than the stuff he taught us!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 08:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,488,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Sunny, I have had a lot of college kids tell me that despite doing well in high school, they had never really learned (or been taught) how to study! Also - how to write a good solid essay. Those things are so fundamental to college.

Also, I think high schools need to provide more classes in basic skills such as filling out IRS tax forms, how to manage credit and how to create a budget . . . I was so lucky. We had a sociology course in high school that was taught by a very innovative man (who later b/cm the school district superintendent). He included all that stuff in one section of the course. He even had us go through the process of buying a house and filling out the contract . . . and applying for a loan. How to balance a check book. Simple stuff but you know . . . out of all the things I learned in high school - nothing was more fundamentally useful than the stuff he taught us!!!
ani - The teacher you mentioned, exposes one of those problems in education. A good teacher with those qualities will be promoted out of the classroom. I wish a teacher like that, could be rewarded with a superintendent's salary to remain teaching students. Teachers like that are priceless!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
I have to add that my son had one of those teachers for Science Im not kidding this teacher wow what can I say other than without him I dont know what we would have done, this man has to be one of the BEST Science teachers around and im sure very unpaid but he loves what he does and left a career to pursue teaching and again he was our god send

Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 AM

Berry and EM: These exceptional teachers do often end up in administration! I had not really thought about that . . .

Of all my teachers in high school . . . this wonderful man remains the one who stands out in my mind b/c he got us all ready for "the real world." There were other fantastic teachers . . . and of course, for those going off to college . . . the courses we were required to have were important to a smooth transition to college (and I was also lucky to have teachers who actually helped us learn HOW TO PROPERLY STUDY AND PREPARE FOR TESTS!!!)

A good teacher really does affect lives and can help shape a person's decisions about his/her future on several levels, not all education-related.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:23 AM

529 posts, read 1,978,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
I have to add that my son had one of those teachers for Science Im not kidding this teacher wow what can I say other than without him I dont know what we would have done, this man has to be one of the BEST Science teachers around and im sure very unpaid but he loves what he does and left a career to pursue teaching and again he was our god send
This is a great thing to say and I hope that you or your son has told his teacher how much of an impact he had. Mostly, teachers only get the negative info.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,981,082 times
If you can read this, thank a teacher

Old 07-09-2008, 07:28 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
If you can read this, thank a teacher
I CAN read this, and I thank my parents

Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 AM

There are some teachers I never formally thanked in writing . . . even tho I did thank them after getting out of college, and wanted them to know that I felt my college experience went well b/c of the great foundation they had given me in high school. However . . . there are others who have retired and over the years, I realized how kind they had been to me . . . and so have meant to write and just say - it was a long time ago but it still matters that you were a part of my life back then . . . guess I should put pen to ink and write those notes. Thanks for the reminder, Doorway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: