Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 AM

529 posts, read 1,979,273 times

Advertisements

MI is the main recruiting destination for CMS because in MI, they are closing schools and we are opening them down here. NC only has around 4000 teaching candidates that come from colleges here in the state, but adds 10000 teaching jobs per year. (charlotte disturber article I read a few months back). Also, just to point out not all teachers teach to the tests. Good teachers teach to students needs and align that with the standards, leading to good test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
MI is the main recruiting destination for CMS because in MI, they are closing schools and we are opening them down here. NC only has around 4000 teaching candidates that come from colleges here in the state, but adds 10000 teaching jobs per year. (charlotte disturber article I read a few months back). Also, just to point out not all teachers teach to the tests. Good teachers teach to students needs and align that with the standards, leading to good test scores.
By all national standards, MI has had an excellent school system. (there are studies ranking MI at the top). Outmigration from MI has been staggering. I personally am thrilled that teachers from other states want to move here and fill the positions in our schools.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM

529 posts, read 1,979,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
By all national standards, MI has had an excellent school system. (there are studies ranking MI at the top). Outmigration from MI has been staggering. I personally am thrilled that teachers from other states want to move here and fill the positions in our schools.
Me too! We need them! But the fact they recruit there is because they are closing schools and people need jobs, not because they are deemed the best there is. (but I am sure that does not hurt)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cball75 View Post
Me too! We need them! But the fact they recruit there is because they are closing schools and people need jobs, not because they are deemed the best there is. (but I am sure that does not hurt)
Yep - we have the jobs - they have out-of-work teachers . . . seems like a plan to me!!!

Ya'll have to realize . . . I grew up here and frankly, my entire life - I have had disparaging remarks made to me about Southerners being uneducated, about our education system being lousy, etc. etc.

Even 30 years ago, I just smiled and said - "Yep, must be a lot of ignorant people here. That is why we have some of the most outstanding universities in our state: Duke, Carolina, Wake, Davidson . . . " That usually stopped the conversations right there . . .

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Yep - we have the jobs - they have out-of-work teachers . . . seems like a plan to me!!!

Ya'll have to realize . . . I grew up here and frankly, my entire life - I have had disparaging remarks made to me about Southerners being uneducated, about our education system being lousy, etc. etc.

Even 30 years ago, I just smiled and said - "Yep, must be a lot of ignorant people here. That is why we have some of the most outstanding universities in our state: Duke, Carolina, Wake, Davidson . . . " That usually stopped the conversations right there . . .
But, you have to realize that the bulk of those disparaging remarks come from one geographical location. You also have to realize that the residents of that geographical location make those same disparaging remarks about anyone not from that location. Growing up in upstate NY, I've heard from plenty of folks how backwards that area is in regards to education, highways, politics...etc, etc. That being said, the backwardness doesn't keep those people from leaving their little Utopia, does it?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
But, you have to realize that the bulk of those disparaging remarks come from one geographical location. You also have to realize that the residents of that geographical location make those same disparaging remarks about anyone not from that location. Growing up in upstate NY, I've heard from plenty of folks how backwards that area is in regards to education, highways, politics...etc, etc. That being said, the backwardness doesn't keep those people from leaving their little Utopia, does it?
Hee Hee! Good point, Hoagie!!! I do think that kvetching is part of the culture in many area of the country! Complain, complain, complain - it is just something people do!!! LOL!!!

I had one of the best times in my life w/ Sen Ted Kennedy's staff . . . was working w/ them over about six months on some legislation 18 or so years ago . . . and it was the first time in my life that everyone I encountered was fascinated by my being a Southerner . . . and were so respectful about my being a Southerner. They could have all been total snots to me . . . after all, here I was w/ my private college undergrad degree and my humble state university MA . . . and they all held advanced degrees and JDs from BU, BC, Harvard . . . yet instead of assuming I was not quite "up to their standards" . . . (and despite my being totally in AWE of them) . . . they were so gracious . . . I will never forget that whole experience. Made me fond of Masschusetts, Bostonians and Ted Kennedy to this day, LOL.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,865,965 times
Quote:
Hee Hee! Good point, Hoagie!!! I do think that kvetching is part of the culture in many area of the country! Complain, complain, complain - it is just something people do!!! LOL!!!

I had one of the best times in my life w/ Sen Ted Kennedy's staff . . . was working w/ them over about six months on some legislation 18 or so years ago . . . and it was the first time in my life that everyone I encountered was fascinated by my being a Southerner . . . and were so respectful about my being a Southerner. They could have all been total snots to me . . . after all, here I was w/ my private college undergrad degree and my humble state university MA . . . and they all held advanced degrees and JDs from BU, BC, Harvard . . . yet instead of assuming I was not quite "up to their standards" . . . (and despite my being totally in AWE of them) . . . they were so gracious . . . I will never forget that whole experience. Made me fond of Masschusetts, Bostonians and Ted Kennedy to this day, LOL.
To borrow from the esteemed Mullman..... +1 for the Yiddish word of the day!!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
To borrow from the esteemed Mullman..... +1 for the Yiddish word of the day!!
HEE HEE HEE. I find yiddish so APT . . . been trying to build that vocabulary for many years!!!!

Old 07-08-2008, 11:18 AM

237 posts, read 298,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
I don't believe it... and won't unless the stats prove me wrong.

I'm from the North and trust me, people are no smarter up there than down here
With the difference , of course , that the north has evolved into liberal thinking and we are still only red states.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail in da coffin View Post
With the difference , of course , that the north has evolved into liberal thinking and we are still only red states.
And that has to do w/ schools because . . . ??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: