Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,736,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
If we state that newcomers are causing a rise in school test scores then it would be fair to assume that they are also responsible for crime and gang activity.
ROFL!!!!!! Oh, Sunny, you put this whole discussion totally in a wholly new context!!! And it makes sense. I guess one could come to each conclusion the same way . . . based on no facts at all . . . but rather - just supposition.

<still laughing>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,700,439 times
Good I am glad I tickled ya

We could use the city of Denver as example
Denver has low crime and great schools and has had both before any newcomers.

Now let say you move 4,000 new residents to the area something going to give in crime and schools.

It would be nice to think only good people move to the Charlotte region but you also have newcomers that are dumb and dummer moving here to. Photos of Lloyd Christmas

Old 07-08-2008, 07:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,522,100 times
Having just come back from a trip to Michigan where my MIL told me over and over that the reason NC recruits from up there is because MI has far superior schools and a far better work ethic than NC so that is why they recruit from there.

UGH! Yeah, right, that is it.....NC is full of dumb folks and a poor work ethic....we have no edumacated folks here.

Sorry, can you tell I am still really irritated?

Dawn

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,879,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Good I am glad I tickled ya

We could use the city of Denver as example
Denver has low crime and great schools and has had both before any newcomers.

Now let say you move 4,000 new residents to the area something going to give in crime and schools.

It would be nice to think only good people move to the Charlotte region but you also have newcomers that are dumb and dummer moving here to. Photos of Lloyd Christmas
Of course, the rise in crime couldn't have anything to do with the huge number of kids in latch key, single parent homes, could it? Of course it's got to be newcomers- probably Yankees most specifically. All the woes of Charlotte can directly be blamed on those damn Yankees! Everyone knows they have nothing to contribute.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:56 AM

228 posts, read 912,597 times
Can't we just blame it all on MS-13? :-)

Old 07-08-2008, 08:00 AM

7,125 posts, read 11,750,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
Can't we just blame it all on MS-13? :-)
You could but I would be sure not to give my address out. Well, on the other hand,they can't read English. Duh.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:10 AM

ROFL!!!!

HOAGIE: you are supposed to be pointing to the Blue Ribbon schools where so many of the newcomers have moved from - and stating that this has to have an influence. And frankly, I think it very well COULD have an influence - new students who have well developed study habits. However, don't know it would make that big of a difference, assuming that the kids in CMS have the same habits and have been taught w/ a similar curriculum, etc.

In other words, it should not drag the system DOWN if the students who move into the system have at least as GOOD if not BETTER study skills.

So Hoagie, don't get hung up on the Yankee thing, Hee Hee. I think we all agree - the schools are definitely as good as - if not better - in the NE as here. I think it would be safe to say . . . schools are definitely not WORSE in the NE (overall). So surely it could not have a NEGATIVE effect (even if it does not have a measurably POSITIVE effect). Statistically speaking . . . the probability would be . . . if kids move in from a highly rated school system . . . they are going to perform at a level that reflects that highly rated school system. Wouldn't that be a valid assumption - in the realm of statistics and probability?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Having just come back from a trip to Michigan where my MIL told me over and over that the reason NC recruits from up there is because MI has far superior schools and a far better work ethic than NC so that is why they recruit from there.

UGH! Yeah, right, that is it.....NC is full of dumb folks and a poor work ethic....we have no edumacated folks here.

Sorry, can you tell I am still really irritated?

Dawn
Yes, Dawn - that is the flip side to this "coin" - couldn't one call it a corollary? If the assumption is we have to go elsewhere to get good teachers, then our system is sub-standard, our students are poorly prepared and our university/colleges have lousy teacher education programs, etc. etc.

So yes . . . that is like saying . . . we have a poor work ethic, low IQs and are lazy in the South.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,879,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
ROFL!!!!

HOAGIE: you are supposed to be pointing to the Blue Ribbon schools where so many of the newcomers have moved from - and stating that this has to have an influence. And frankly, I think it very well COULD have an influence - new students who have well developed study habits. However, don't know it would make that big of a difference, assuming that the kids in CMS have the same habits and have been taught w/ a similar curriculum, etc.

In other words, it should not drag the system DOWN if the students who move into the system have at least as GOOD if not BETTER study skills.

So Hoagie, don't get hung up on the Yankee thing, Hee Hee. I think we all agree - the schools are definitely as good as - if not better - in the NE as here. I think it would be safe to say . . . schools are definitely not WORSE in the NE (overall). So surely it could not have a NEGATIVE effect (even if it does not have a measurably POSITIVE effect). Statistically speaking . . . the probability would be . . . if kids move in from a highly rated school system . . . they are going to perform at a level that reflects that highly rated school system. Wouldn't that be a valid assumption - in the realm of statistics and probability?
Truly, my defense wasn't the educational system of the north. My defense was at the ridiculous thought that the influx of newcomers is responsible for the increase in crime.

Statistically speaking, if you moved 4000 people to an area, there is no greater probability that any of those people have a greater propensity for crime than the natives of that area.

That being said, and it being agreed that crime is measured by #of type per number of people, an increase in crime means more criminal activity per person- which would correlate to an increase in native crime as well as imported crime.

Simply, it doesn't necessarily follow that moving 4000 people to an area equals an increase in crime.

As far as test scores- it's all a result of teachers becoming more proficient at teaching to the test. This is a disservice to our teachers and our kids.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Truly, my defense wasn't the educational system of the north. My defense was at the ridiculous thought that the influx of newcomers is responsible for the increase in crime.

Statistically speaking, if you moved 4000 people to an area, there is no greater probability that any of those people have a greater propensity for crime than the natives of that area.

That being said, and it being agreed that crime is measured by #of type per number of people, an increase in crime means more criminal activity per person- which would correlate to an increase in native crime as well as imported crime.

Simply, it doesn't necessarily follow that moving 4000 people to an area equals an increase in crime.

As far as test scores- it's all a result of teachers becoming more proficient at teaching to the test. This is a disservice to our teachers and our kids.
The only thing that would affect the crime in an area is if the newcomers to the area included a higher number of criminals than is representative in the local population.

Statistically, the likelihood would be that the universe of newcomers who have moved and have children in the school systems would NOT be the same universe of newcomers who moved here w/ criminal intent.

Sunny was just joking, anyway . . . in order to point out how ridiculous it is to make assumptions about newcomers and what effect they have had on the quality of life here - when we are not working w/ statistics that actually demonstrate some sort of trend . . .

To find out if people moving into the area have affected crime, we would have to examine the known universe of criminals, wh/ would be those who have been apprehended. Seems to me most of them that have been apprehended lately are natives. But - that would also include illegals who have moved here and w/in that universe of people, there have indeed been those who have committed crimes. To what degree that has actually made the crime rate rise . . . one would have to do a tremendous amount of research and calculations to see what the effect has truly been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: