Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 09:10 AM

7 posts, read 18,875 times

Advertisements

I must be crazy. EVERYONE seems to want to move to, live in or make a life in Charleston SC. I really do like Charleston and live in a nearby suburb. Note I graduated also from College of Charleston many years ago so I know the area pretty well.

BUT after living in Los Angeles for many, many years, moving back east and after giving Charleston a fair shake full-time for 7 years I am just not content. I miss many things (not everything) about a real "city." People often perceive Charleston SC as being sophisticated and worldly. This is perception but not reality in my opinion (just my opinion). Compared to other southeastern towns, yes, Charleston is charming and somewhat evolved. But it is still very much like a small town, extremely traditional and heavily religious.

So, what has kept me here for seven years now are a few friendships and a strong affinity for the beach (I own a small, waterfront beach pad nearby).

Bottom line: I like the beach and find Charleston charming but I do miss everything a city affords a resident. I don't mind being in a suburb but want a REAL city handy.

BUT...for anyone who has lived in a large scale, metro city they will understand I am missing the **energy** a city brings. I miss the eclectic, interesting mix of people and a more open minded, well educated and less judgmental environment. The amenities of a city are nice to have (countless shopping, restaurant, activity options etc.). Not to mention professional opportunities tend to be greater in a larger populated area.

Charlotte is no Los Angeles but I need to stay in the southeast for family reasons.

So finally..TO MY QUESTIONS....

1. I need excellent public schools and am mostly looking at N. Charlotte (Davidson, Huntersville, Mooresville) - any feedback on these schools? I have 2 elementary aged kids. Input? What about the southeast for public schools? Budget is $325K or less for a home or town home.

2. Is Charlotte genuinely more progressive than Charleston? I've shopped and dined in Charlotte but don't have a "feel" for whether that is true or not. I know BOTH areas in in the Bible Belt..I have no illusions about that (I am religious, just not overly so) but wonder if Charlotte is more of live and let live???

3. Is traffic a battle at all hours of the day or mostly peak commute times?

4. Pros or Cons for the metro Charlotte area a local can share?

People are moving to Charleston SC in droves and I understand why...BUT I remain restless and disappointed with life here. Maybe if I got closer to a city I'd feel more at home.

This is a BIG, BIG decision and I REALLY NEED some insight. Due to my home based work, I can work almost anywhere but again, do need to stay in the southeast. Charlotte seems like a viable option unless I'm missing something. Anyone who "gets" what I am trying to say and who is familiar with these areas - PLEASE WRITE IN on this thread. Maybe I am being shortsighted and should find a way to embrace this area better. And no, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. But I can't seem to feel rooted here despite trying my hardest. Look forward to hearing from you all!!!

Last edited by clmeastcoast; 12-15-2013 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: found typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 09:59 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clmeastcoast View Post
I must be crazy. EVERYONE seems to want to move to, live in or make a life in Charleston SC. I really do like Charleston and live in a nearby suburb. Note I graduated also from College of Charleston many years ago so I know the area pretty well.

BUT after living in Los Angeles for many, many years, moving back east and after giving Charleston a fair shake full-time for 7 years I am just not content. I miss many things (not everything) about a real "city." People often perceive Charleston SC as being sophisticated and worldly. This is perception but not reality in my opinion (just my opinion). Compared to other southeastern towns, yes, Charleston is charming and somewhat evolved. But it is still very much like a small town, extremely traditional and heavily religious.

So, what has kept me here for seven years now are a few friendships and a strong affinity for the beach (I own a small, waterfront beach pad nearby).

Bottom line: I like the beach and find Charleston charming but I do miss everything a city affords a resident. I don't mind being in a suburb but want a REAL city handy.

BUT...for anyone who has lived in a large scale, metro city they will understand I am missing the **energy** a city brings. I miss the eclectic, interesting mix of people and a more open minded, well educated and less judgmental environment. The amenities of a city are nice to have (countless shopping, restaurant, activity options etc.). Not to mention professional opportunities tend to be greater in a larger populated area.

Charlotte is no Los Angeles but I need to stay in the southeast for family reasons.

So finally..TO MY QUESTIONS....

1. I need excellent public schools and am mostly looking at N. Charlotte (Davidson, Huntersville, Mooresville) - any feedback on these schools? I have 2 elementary aged kids. Input? What about the southeast for public schools? Budget is $325K or less for a home or town home.

2. Is Charlotte genuinely more progressive than Charleston? I've shopped and dined in Charlotte but don't have a "feel" for whether that is true or not. I know BOTH areas in in the Bible Belt..I have no illusions about that (I am religious, just not overly so) but wonder if Charlotte is more of live and let live???

3. Is traffic a battle at all hours of the day or mostly peak commute times?

4. Pros or Cons for the metro Charlotte area a local can share?

People are moving to Charleston SC in droves and I understand why...BUT I remain restless and disappointed with life here. Maybe if I got closer to a city I'd feel more at home.

This is a BIG, BIG decision and I REALLY NEED some insight. Due to my home based work, I can work almost anywhere but again, do need to stay in the southeast. Charlotte seems like a viable option unless I'm missing something. Anyone who "gets" what I am trying to say and who is familiar with these areas - PLEASE WRITE IN on this thread. Maybe I am being shortsighted and should find a way to embrace this area better. And no, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. But I can't seem to feel rooted here despite trying my hardest. Look forward to hearing from you all!!!
I get what you want & understand. Based on where you are looking, pick Mooresville for schools, but make sure that you are zoned to Mooresville Graded Schools.

Traffic is worst on the north/south axis, but if you work from home it shouldn't bother you much.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I think you need to look at Atlanta for city-ness. I don't think the energy of Charlotte is that much more citified than Charleston. There is some city vibe uptown, but Charlotte is much much closer to Charleston in feel than it is to LA (lived there myself). People are moving to Charlotte (and the Triangle) in droves, too, but it's mostly for a slower pace of life and more house in the suburbs.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you need to look at Atlanta for city-ness. I don't think the energy of Charlotte is that much more citified than Charleston. There is some city vibe uptown, but Charlotte is much much closer to Charleston in feel than it is to LA (lived there myself).
I do agree but Charlotte will definitely suffice on many levels in terms of expanded shopping options, kid activities, diversity, etc and provide that larger obnoxious hustle and bustle feel of a city. But the only city in the cultural south that provides an established big city vibe is Atlanta, however, Charlotte is definitely a step-up from Charleston (on some levels) and actually eagerly moving in that direction at neck break speed.

Charlotte is in the midst of transforming into a "vibey" place but the current infrastructure (highway, etc) didn't anticipate this type of growth, so you have been warned, especially N. Charlotte....lots of growing pains over the next decade or so to catch up, if ever.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
I like Charlotte and think Charleston can be a bit overhyped, but other than more professional opportunities and less tourists, I'm not sure Charlotte offers much that Charleston doesn't to be honest.

And exactly how much do you like the beach? If you are considering Huntersville, Davidson and Mooresville partly because of the lake, you'll probably be disappointed in the lake compared to the ocean. Probably pointing out the obvious but have you considered Jacksonville or Tampa?

Last edited by GoPhils; 12-15-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Default Tampa or Jax

Yes, I have also considered Tampa and Jacksonville. Those are good suggestions. I do particularly like Tampa but the heat of Florida is even worse than it is here. Was just a bit iffy on those areas....As far as Jacksonville goes not my favorite place. Been there many times as my parents live near that area.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:11 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
I was thinking Atlanta as well as it provides more of what you're looking for, and since you lived in LA, the size and the traffic shouldn't bother you. But Charlotte will definitely give you more of a big city vibe and amenities than Charleston with more retail and restaurant options, major league professional sports, rail-based transit, etc. I think that if you come from one of the traditional big cities of the Northeast or Midwest, you can appreciate Charleston a bit more, particularly due to its historic urban core and such. But coming from LA which has been shaped by the forces of sprawl and has a more decentralized feel, I can definitely see why the Sunbelt version of urbanity--embodied in Charlotte and more so in Atlanta--is more appealing.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
I am going to chime in with a question to the OP. Why would you move from CHS to CLT for the 'city vibe', only to move you and your family to the suburbs? It makes no sense to me. All suburbs have the same Applebee's, Home Depot, etc. There are plenty of good schools, some private of course, within the city limits. I don't meant any disrespect, truly, but I never understand people who want a 'city vibe' but live 30 minutes away from the actual city. What's the point of moving?

Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Excellent point Skyegirl but having lived in the 'burbs and inside the city there are issues you run into with children. Issues of safety, issues of private vs. public schools (typically people inside the city choose the private schools due to the "urban element" often found inside the city itself). So for someone looking after their children's interests, the suburb can be a compromise. You can get to the city, have access to the city but not be in the midst of the "down sides" the city typically has.

Case in point: when I lived in Los Angeles, there was an abandoned old station wagon in front of my building. A group of drug addicted homeless people would sleep in it all day but would vacate it at night as the police would make them move out of the car between midnight and 6 a.m. I'd have to pass by all their booze bottles, see 5 dubious people in the car and unable to get the cops to get them to move until I caught them inside the car after midnight. You won't find that type of situation in the suburb typically. Another example would be when I was jogging one day after work it was getting dark and a criminal tried to jump me. I was able to run away. A city is good but naturally there are down sides.

So, there are some examples of why I don't want my children living directly in the city but as a grown up I like having access to the better things a city offers, just not all of it. Hope that helps to the poster who doesn't understand the choice about suburbs.

Last edited by clmeastcoast; 12-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: wanted to mention previous posters name to keep thread logical.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:30 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,011,018 times
I understand what the OP is saying. Have been to Charleston many times, love it but it does not have a "city" vibe or the amenities of a larger city. I think the OP said he lives outside of Charleston in a suburb now - perhaps Mount Pleasant?

I "get" wanting to live in a suburb, but have a big/bigger city and all it offers close at hand - having easy access to, but not living IN the city - great medical care when you need it, professional sports, the energy, vibe, etc., although Charleston has much of that. Very good medical care, culture, and great dining options for it's size. And truly beautiful with the history and the ocean, live oaks and hanging moss.

Not having been to Charlotte - yet (we are coming in Jan for a short trip) I think the ocean component is important - how much will you miss it? And the public transport component - not sure what Charlotte has for public transport, compared to other bigger cities, but it's likely more than Charleston.

RE prices are lower in Charlotte, taxes more than SC.

Good luck with your search. We are searching for something similar on the East Coast. Haven't found it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte