Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,409,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
This is the most exaggerated post I have seen in a while. 2 hours in traffic, i drive 22 minutes each way and there are transit options in Charlotte. Charleston is a nice place but to suggest you can only raise a family in Charleston is silly. You can fish on one of three lakes, hit state parks, attend pro sporting events, and live in terrific neighborhoods in and around Charlotte.

Charleston is a nice place to visit, lousy place to live, especially if you want a non tourism related job.
Your hatred of Charleston is so transparent and silly.

A "lousy" place to live? Yeah, sure it is. You have become so pathetic in your smear campaign against Charleston, that its hardly even worth responding to anymore.

Charlotte has ONE thing, and only one thing, that I'd wish was in Charleston. An NFL team. So, 8 days out of 365, there is something in Charlotte that I wish we had here. 8. And I can buy a ticket and drive 3 hours to watch that.........AND pass by Williams Brice Stadium, where the Gamecocks play, who I'd rather watch over the Panthers anyway.

Aside from those 8 days a year.......Charlotte offers absolutely nothing that I wish Charleston had. In fact, the higher crime and heavier traffic make me glad I don't live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
Your hatred of Charleston is so transparent and silly.

A "lousy" place to live? Yeah, sure it is. You have become so pathetic in your smear campaign against Charleston, that its hardly even worth responding to anymore.

Charlotte has ONE thing, and only one thing, that I'd wish was in Charleston. An NFL team. So, 8 days out of 365, there is something in Charlotte that I wish we had here. 8. And I can buy a ticket and drive 3 hours to watch that.........AND pass by Williams Brice Stadium, where the Gamecocks play, who I'd rather watch over the Panthers anyway.

Aside from those 8 days a year.......Charlotte offers absolutely nothing that I wish Charleston had. In fact, the higher crime and heavier traffic make me glad I don't live there.
Are you the same CD2013 who posted in a Charleston thread that Charlotte was only 3 hours away for a big city?

Anyway, here is why I said Charleston is not a great place to live....1. Job diversity. It has relied on government jobs as the main driver of job growth. Over the past decade, government job growth had the highest CAGR v other job sectors. 2. Tourism. I don't wnt to deal with a concentration of vacationers. Traffic......you are the same person who argued on many pages how bad I26 is all day long. In Charlotte, you have options such as light rail. And, my commute is 22 minutes. 3. Schools. Charlotte has better schools across the board....l know, you have 2 schools listed on a magazine ranking, big deal. As a rule, schools in the low country are terrible. 4. Retail......not close. 5. Cultural, Charleston has culture one month each year, Charlotte has it year round and with a lot of depth between multiple performing arts venues on Tryon St alone. And, there are great neighborhood home grown opportunities such as NODA, Southend, Dilworth....etc. 6. Parks and Greenways to connect downtown with Fort Mill in SC. 7. Pro Sports. 8. Proximity to USC and college sports......you can be in Columbia in about 1 hour for USC or Chapel Hill in 2.5 hours, we are in the center of an abundance if college athletics. 9. Concerts....Charlotte attracts A list acts that are unique to the Carolinas, 10. City feel.....I like King, Broad and Meeting St., they are nice. But, Charlotte has a better city feel......this is subjective but it is my post. 11. Neighborhoods....Myers Park, Eastover, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, NODA, Southend, Southpark and many others are great neighborhoods in Charlotte. All offer great homes, parks, tree lined streets, neighborhood restaurants and most are very walkable. 12. Comprehensive research university. 13. Crime......Charleston is the ONLY city that I have visited and almost been mugged....twice. Charleston has never been a low crime place....

Anyway, I would encourage anyone considering either city to visit and do meaningful research. Magazine rankings are little more than fluff. If you like the beach, Charlotte is not the place unless large lakes are a substitute. For anything else, there is a big gap between Charleston and Charlotte. To put it in perspective, over 500k people, almost rather size of metro Charleston, moved to Charlotte in the past 10 years, the city is doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte