Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 05:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
First, I don't appreciate being attacked. I presented my views, based on a life time of experience in the city and the area. I didn't ask for you to call me delusional and if you don't agree that's fine, state your case and move on. Attacking me is not productive and makes your argument look shallow.

I look at cities like Denver CO. Seattle Wa, Nashville Tenn, all are way more diverse than Charlotte has ever been.

I think you are also missing most of what I said. I never compared Charlotte to Charleston. I simply stated my view based on the OPs question of pros and cons. I never ragged on teachers either. But take a look a sites like goodschools.com or compare scores of the top 10 high schools in the state at US News. Only Butler and North Meck make in the top ten and only East makes in the top 20. Compare that to the Wake County/Guilford county schools. Charleston has 3 in the top twenty for SC and is a much smaller district. Like you said there are good schools and bad schools everywhere. Just like there is good weather and bad weather everywhere, so I don't really get your jab. I personally don't think CMS has done a stellar job in providing education when compared to similar sized or even larger districts like Wake Co or even Charleston Co.

Yes absolutely you could live anywhere without a car. Jeeze people do it all the time, but in Charlotte it is way harder unless you live directly on a mass transit line. Charlotte does little to effectively put mass transit in areas that would support it. Beyond the blue line, there's little to offer except the bus which mainly serves the urban areas of the city. Try getting from Rea Rd or Matthews to UNCC. Try to get to the Cato campus at CPCC from the 5 points without a car. Cities like Portland Ore, Salt Lake City and San Jose Ca. All have better MT and are of Charlotte's size or only slightly larger. Seattle has 100% better MT system than Charlotte. You can go virtually from one end of the state to the other on municipal transportation. As far as the south goes, I will give you that. ATL has the crappiest MT system that I have ever seen. Richmond's is ridiculous as well, however all of these cities are basically New South cities that boomed after WWII when cars were the big thing. It is difficult, albeit not impossible to shoe horn a mass transit system into an urban area that was designed all along for car travel. Charlotte is no where close to being a shinning example of an effective mass transit system.

Again, I am not ragging on Charlotte. I am pointing out my view as a life long resident, a product of CMS, and a business owner. I am fine that you don't agree, but I don't appreciate the name calling.

Peace.
I haved lived in Denver and it's not that diverse and you lose all credibility by referring to Nashville as being more diverse than Charlotte. You made my point, Charlotte's transportation system is adequate and in some cases above adequate for it's size, especially for a sunbelt city. I didn't speak of the great northwest progressive cities because it's rather obvious that they're more progressive with respect to transportation amongst other things.

It's not that I disagree, just pointing out misleading and erroneous information. After all, this forum is about informing people with as much accurate data and informaton as possible.

Assalamu alaikum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Be careful using magazine rankings for high schools, the are at best an illusion. I grew up in SC and even for SC, Charleston schools are not good. Sure, there may be a few good schools in wealthy areas but lowcountry schools are not good. And on a comparative basis, they are not on the same planet as some CMS schools.

As for diversity, that is always a personal perception. I see Charlotte as a diverse city. Is it a true melting pot, no. But, it is in no way segregated. If you are comparing it to Charleston, I don't see a lot of difference.

I am still amused at Charleston being like Georgetown in DC, there is a big difference....not sure where that was posted.
I was refering to architecture, historic charm, and urbanism..of course DC is much more than Georgetown.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It's not that I disagree, just pointing out misleading and erroneous information. After all, this forum is about informing people with as much accurate data and informaton as possible.

Assalamu alaikum.

Whatever works for you Big A.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
ATL has the crappiest MT system that I have ever seen. Richmond's is ridiculous as well, however all of these cities are basically New South cities that boomed after WWII when cars were the big thing.
I'm guessing you've not ridden many MT systems if you think Atlanta's is the crappiest you've seen (not as good as Northern ones, but has the highest ridership in the South and probably the second-most comprehensive after DART in Dallas), but anyway since when did Richmond have rail transit? You sure you're not referring to the Tide in Norfolk/VA Beach?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Whatever works for you Big A.
Again, I agree with some of the things you stated and to have opinions/preferences but it's completely false to make statements such as Nashville is more diverse than Charlotte, etc.

Personally, I'm a beach guy and look forward to settling down near a beach community (preferably southeastern NC) . Basically, no way I'd move from Charleston to Charlotte (or any other larger city) at this point in my career but understand why some would select a larger metro for certain amenities and options.

Good luck to the OP because North Charlotte traffic can be a mess at times. Not the worst in america but is poorly planned and contrasted by all really nice communities in that area...I hope NC DOT comes up with a viable plan.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
But take a look a sites like goodschools.com or compare scores of the top 10 high schools in the state at US News. Only Butler and North Meck make in the top ten and only East makes in the top 20. Compare that to the Wake County/Guilford county schools. Charleston has 3 in the top twenty for SC and is a much smaller district.
Is that issue of US News from like 2006? I'm not sure North Meck and Butler (especially North Meck) are even top 5 in CMS anymore let alone top 10 in the state.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:22 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gophils View Post
is that issue of us news from like 2006? I'm not sure north meck and butler (especially north meck) are even top 5 in cms anymore let alone top 10 in the state.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:17 PM

12 posts, read 25,592 times
I was born & raised in Charleston & still own a home West Ashley. I moved to Charlotte in 2007. You will get more real estate for your $ in Charlotte, insurance rates are significantly lower in Charlotte as well. As far as schools - I agree the best public schools are in the North & South areas of Charlotte. The quaint suburbs such as Belmont, Mt Holly, Huntersville are nice with well kept parks & playgrounds. I love that Charlotte is central to both the mountains & the beaches, & it's only 3 hours from Charleston. You also have access to Lake Wylie & Lake Norman for water sports.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:03 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,609 times
Yep; I think Charlotte's the place for you.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,215 times
Quote:
Why are you citing magazine HS rankings? How can one publication reliably ranks thousands of schools with any degree of certainty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte