Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 4,845 times

Advertisements

In a year or two the wife and I would like to move to the Charlotte area from NY. We are in our mid 20's and have a 3 year old. I am wondering what towns would be a good place to move and find a house around 150,000-200,000.
I would like to be 20-25 minutes from Charlotte on the north or northwestern side preferably. We like living in a suburban type area or gated type community and would like to have good public schooling options.

Any input would be appreciated to narrow down an area. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 06:54 PM

109 posts, read 200,280 times
Why the Northern side? The reason I ask is if you get a job in the South Side of Charlotte (e.g Ballantyne) your commute is going to be a nightmare.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:04 PM

The northern side because it's closer to a couple of lakes that I would like to doing a decent amount of fishing at and closer to the mountains.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
150-200k and gated community seems like an oxymoron.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:38 AM

Yeah gated community's a stretch, more like a nice friendly neighborhood.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
Concord is on the northern side of CLT and is in line with what you're looking for. A 20-30 minute drive to Uptown, fantastic public schools (I can vouch from experience), and plenty of gated and non-gated (but lovely) neighborhoods. Don't be fooled by the overdeveloped stretch of big box stores near the border - Concord has a lot to offer.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobza223 View Post
The northern side because it's closer to a couple of lakes that I would like to doing a decent amount of fishing at and closer to the mountains.
Besides the usually mentioned lakes, there are some small lakes in Gaston County & Moss Lake AKA Kings Mountain reservoir in eastern Cleveland County for fishing. However, it all depends on where the job is.

The general rule of thumb is that the further out you get, the more real estate you get for your money.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Besides the usually mentioned lakes, there are some small lakes in Gaston County & Moss Lake AKA Kings Mountain reservoir in eastern Cleveland County for fishing. However, it all depends on where the job is.

The general rule of thumb is that the further out you get, the more real estate you get for your money.

Well, I think that pretty much rings true for a majority of urban areas in the entire country, save for Washington DC.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobza223 View Post
In a year or two the wife and I would like to move to the Charlotte area from NY. We are in our mid 20's and have a 3 year old. I am wondering what towns would be a good place to move and find a house around 150,000-200,000.
I would like to be 20-25 minutes from Charlotte on the north or northwestern side preferably. We like living in a suburban type area or gated type community and would like to have good public schooling options.

Any input would be appreciated to narrow down an area. Thanks!
Job first my man..worry about the job first then figure out where you are going to live.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:02 PM

109 posts, read 200,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Job first my man..worry about the job first then figure out where you are going to live.
I really agree with this and was the reason I asked about the desire to be on the North side. If the guy gets a job in Ballantyne it makes no sense to be living up by Concord or thereabouts.

The difference may be 15-20 minutes on weekends when one could go to the Lake or mountains and won't make much difference in those activities vs. a daily commute which could be double or triple (or higher) that time when you have to face rush hour traffic every day - which will make a huge difference in your life.

My suggestion to the OP is that if he and his wife want to move here and are committed to doing so in 1-2 years time that they spend a few weekends getting to now the area and then when they think they found what they want spend a few weekdays here and try out the daily commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte