Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM

9 posts, read 22,176 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a single mom, 30 with a 9 year old daughter. I am considering moving to Charlotte in the next six months. We would be moving from the New Orleans area. I have a few relatives in the area of Ballatyne, Monroe and south Charlotte. I am considering living in Union county. Good schools are a must for me. My daughter is an excellent student and she also dances. She's danced for many years so I'd like to find a good studio close to where we'd live. I also do ceramics on a potters wheel so I'd have to find a studio for that. I have a marketing degree and have experience in marketing and promotions but I'd like to keep the commute to a minimum. So my questions are this - what area would be the best as far as schools, I've been told Union county is better than Meck? Also is there alot of things to do for a person such as myself, single and 30? Also are there any kids activities in the area? Zoo? Aquarium? Children's Museum? Lastly, what is the job market for marketing, promotions or advertising jobs in the area?

Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by susalex723; 01-17-2008 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: ooops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:30 AM

Default hey

I would really appreciate some input

Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I hesitate to post b/c I hate to be negative since Charlotte will welcome you and your son and I think you will be happy here!

However, as has been posted b/f, do not come here w/o a job unless you have someone else who can support you. In your field of promotions, advertising and marketing, the job market is grueling. There are major PR/Marketing companies here but getting a job is competitive and difficult and pay for newbies is not necessarily impressive.

I am in the field and my clients come from everywhere else across the country EXCEPT Charlotte. I would hope your experience would be different . . . but my advice remains the same . . . do not come here w/o employment of some sort unless you have others who will be able to support you and your son.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:30 AM

I actually havent'' made a major decision yet. I wouldn't actually move without having a job lined up or something very close possibilities lined up. Things such as this board are some thing I'm trying to use to help make my decision. My family who is up there have been there less than three years and none of them work in marketing and have very little knowledge hell of the industry let alone the industry in Charlotte.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susalex723 View Post
I actually havent'' made a major decision yet. I wouldn't actually move without having a job lined up or something very close possibilities lined up. Things such as this board are some thing I'm trying to use to help make my decision. My family who is up there have been there less than three years and none of them work in marketing and have very little knowledge hell of the industry let alone the industry in Charlotte.
Hee Hee - well, you should probably google PR agencies, for example, and send your resume (even if the ones you find are not advertising jobs) - and see if you can speak to the operations mgr. or project mgr. at any of the agencies - and see what advice they will give you. That is where I would start.

If you read other threads on here, you will find many people are coming here or thinking about coming here w/o jobs . . .and have been very disappointed w/ finding employment. That is why we are all cautioning you.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

If you read other threads on here, you will find many people are coming here or thinking about coming here w/o jobs . . .and have been very disappointed w/ finding employment. That is why we are all cautioning you.
How bad is the job market in the Charlotte area? I think the area was supposed to have a good economy? Have I been told wrong?

Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
It's not so much the area but the whoel economy is struggling. And Charlotte is also feeling it. Charlotte also has two large Financial instituions, Bank of America and Wachovia, and the Banking industry is suffering right now. There are jobs here, so look around, even the banks need certain people, but I might not expect the big job or the future job at this time.

As far as a 30 year old women, yes Charlotte has plenty of things to do. I just spent last night uptown, 2 new clubs/resteraunts met lots of nice new people in the 25-40 range. We have parks, plantations, aquariums, a great discovery place, white water center almost anything any decent size city has. Its not NY, but it is growing.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
How bad is the job market in the Charlotte area? I think the area was supposed to have a good economy? Have I been told wrong?
We DO have a good economy - we just happen to be one of the top 5 places to move to in this country and so everyone and his brother is here looking for a job. This makes our job market pretty tight.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Hi I am a single mom, 30 with a 9 year old daughter. I am considering moving to Charlotte in the next six months. We would be moving from the New Orleans area. I have a few relatives in the area of Ballatyne, Monroe and south Charlotte. I am considering living in Union county. Good schools are a must for me. My daughter is an excellent student and she also dances. She's danced for many years so I'd like to find a good studio close to where we'd live. I also do ceramics on a potters wheel so I'd have to find a studio for that. I have a marketing degree and have experience in marketing and promotions but I'd like to keep the commute to a minimum. So my questions are this - what area would be the best as far as schools, I've been told Union county is better than Meck? Also is there alot of things to do for a person such as myself, single and 30? Also are there any kids activities in the area? Zoo? Aquarium? Children's Museum? Lastly, what is the job market for marketing, promotions or advertising jobs in the area?

Thanks for all the input.
SOME schools in Union county are fantastic, just like some schools in Mecklenburg are fantastic The problem with the really good schools in Union county is that they are all dealing with overcrowding issues now due to so much growth. You can find the same thing in parts of Charotte - people want to be where they perceive the good schools are. General rule of thumb, if you can afford to live in south Charlotte or western Union County you will find good schools.

Dance is also pretty popular here, I am sure you would find a school your daughter would like. We do have a children's science Museum, Discovery Place, Children's Theatre, and MANY sports opportunities - especially thru the YMCA's, which are very popular and nice here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte