Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:18 PM

473 posts, read 2,756,097 times

Advertisements

we are headed to CA to be with my mother who is very sick, and staying there indefinitely so we will be taking our van full of kids and things across country. Our first leg ends at Charlotte, NC (heading south first, then west to avoid major snow).

Having never been there (and being a family who enjoys learning about a new place through their food) what food is charlotte, nc or NC in general known for? If you had to narrow it down to ONE absolute place we cannot miss eating at for the night we are there, what would you recommend? THE absolute cannot miss spot...

Thanks all in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
I'm gonna leave it to others to tell you about the food (I would suggest BBQ but CLT does not have the best BBQ in the state, IMHO).

What I wanted to make sure about is your travel route. You are aware that I-40 is CLOSED at the NC/TENN border, right? And if you are going to be using I-40, that won't really be bringing you into Charlotte.

Here is info on the closure and also map and detour info for I-40. Again, just wanted to make sure you realized this. You all have a safe trip!

Traveler Alert: I-40 Closed at NC/TN Border « Carolina Lifestyles

Old 01-10-2010, 02:24 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
we are headed to CA to be with my mother who is very sick, and staying there indefinitely so we will be taking our van full of kids and things across country. Our first leg ends at Charlotte, NC (heading south first, then west to avoid major snow).

Having never been there (and being a family who enjoys learning about a new place through their food) what food is charlotte, nc or NC in general known for? If you had to narrow it down to ONE absolute place we cannot miss eating at for the night we are there, what would you recommend? THE absolute cannot miss spot...

Thanks all in advance for your help.
BBQ

Do you want to stay in Charlotte, or is anywhere in the metro area, along I 85 OK? Am I correct in assuming you want a motel, or do you want a hotel?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
Stop on your way to Charlotte (an hour before Charlotte) at Lexington Barbecue Center put the address in your gps but you will see your going to get on Business 85 doesnt matter what time of the day this area has small town traffic.
Lexington Barbecue - Google Maps
Feel free to ask any questions well try

Old 01-10-2010, 02:38 PM

530 posts, read 1,183,096 times
Elliots BBQ if BBQ is what you want

Old 01-10-2010, 02:43 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,521 times
I see you are from Newfield NY...is that near Ithaca??

Im not sure how long you will be here, but with kids a non-food place to visit is the Discovery Place in Uptown...because Im sure they will want to get out and see something and burn off energy

I definately would make sure of your trip due to that 40 closure...we didn't before we took it to get to Chicago this past fall and it added another 1 hour+ to our trip.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:42 PM

624 posts, read 2,109,372 times
No specific recommendations, but here are some threads that might be useful:

Restaurant with GREAT food, locally owned - Restaurant with GREAT food, locally owned
Restaurants - Favorite and why? - Restaurants - Favorite and why?
"Southern-style" Restaurant Recommendations - "Southern-style" Restaurant Recommendations

Also just to throw my two cents in on the route, if starting from NY I'm guessing you'll be taking 81 down most the way and cutting down 77 to get to Charlotte.

Since 40 is closed at mile marker 3, you may want to consider continuing on 81 South to Knoxville and bypassing Charlotte. It'll mean driving an extra 55 miles that day but it'll cut some time/miles off when you continue on to CA.

Distance to Charlotte from 77/81 Split - 135 Miles
Distance to Knoxville from 77/81 Split - 190 Miles

Old 01-10-2010, 04:06 PM

well we chose charlotte though it was technically out of the way, because we wanted to stop in charleston...i guess its a blessing in disguise, because of the closure you guys mentioned. when i google mapped our next destination (memphis, tn) from charlotte, maybe it accounted for the closure, im not sure, but it told me to go 85 south, 20 west, 78 west, eventually meeting up w/ the 40 again.

ill look into the things people mentioned already, unless anyone has anymore suggestions.

Last edited by CBaillo; 01-10-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,736,747 times
I am a little confused by your route, but if you are coming to Charlotte, from I-85 south. Do this. Do not be swayed by others.

Go to Gary's BBQ in CHINA GROVE, NC. It is about 30 - 45 minutes before you get to Charlotte

Take Exit 68 off of I-85 South. You go about a mile, you will see Gary's on the left. Go to stop light, about 1 block past Gary's, do a U TURN, and go back.

Gary's is awesome BBQ. No FAT. With the BBQ, you can either get a tray, with bbq, slaw, and fries, or get a BBQ sammich, which is the pork put on the bun, with slaw.

Gary's is a high class BBQ joint, "Shirts and Shoes Required" and as the waitress told me one time, "Honey, this is a find a seat and eat place."

Now, additionally, order CHEERWINE to drink. Cheerwine is made in Salisbury, about 5 miles north of Gary's. It is a SOFT DRINK..cherry flavor, but not sweet. Cheerwine is great, but FOUNTAIN CHEERWINE is beyond great.

Do not miss Gary's.

I wish I was eating there today!

LLN

Old 01-10-2010, 04:31 PM

having never been to the southern states, i have no idea about the route, i just have to trust in google maps i guess, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte