Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 PM

846 posts, read 1,798,860 times

Advertisements

We are going to Charlotte for our vacation starting on Sunday. For the first couple of days (Fri-Sat), we are going to the mountains; Asheville, Bryson City and Cherokee. We're from the Charleston area, and I would like to ask a few questions.

We are definitely going to the NASCAR Hall of Fame, but I don't know what else to do on a Sunday and perhaps a Monday morning in Charlotte. We are staying in Concord Mills. What are some good suggestions on things to do?

What is the best way to get from Asheville to Charlotte?

Will there be anything going on in Uptown this weekend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 12:01 AM

187 posts, read 460,554 times
Who comes from Charleston to vacation in Charlotte? Usually its the other way around...Haha j/k...Charlotte is a pretty cool city...I lived there for 2 years and the best way to get from Asheville to Charlotte in my opinion would be just stay on 40 to Statesville and then take 77 into Charlotte...Theres plenty of other ways to go,But i always found that way to be the quickest in my opinion...The Nascar hall of fame is ok..If you're really into Nascar and its history then its worth going to atleast once...If you got kids then you might wanna check out Carowinds...Its a theme park with a water park as well,Similar to Kings Island...Then maybe go to Lake Norman as well and check that area out.Theres a boat cruise out there as well called Queens Landing...Its worth checking out atleast once as well....Concord Mills is a mall by the way,Just so ya know..Haha...Never the less tho i'm sure you'll enjoy whatever it is you do in Charlotte

Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
What is the best way to get from Asheville to Charlotte?
Whenever I've driven through Asheville I've always taken 26 East to 74 East through Kings Mountain and then pick up 85 North from there. Its an easy drive that takes about 2 hours. And if you're looking for things to do between Asheville and Charlotte you can stop at Chimney Rock State park, which is on the way to Charlotte.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 AM

930 posts, read 2,162,231 times
I agree with Sundaydrive. My sister lives near Lake Lure and I live in Charlotte and that's the way we all travel.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,773 times
- Nascar Hall of Fame is fun even if you are not into racing. And, the AC is great!
- We have Latta Plantation and the Daniel Stowe Gradens here, which we enjoy as a family, but you have that type of things in spades in Charleston.
- Concord Mills (the mall, not the area) is an outlet mall. It is convenient to knock out a lot of shopping, but I don't shop regular stores to know how much of a bargin things are these days.
- I agree about stopping at Chimney Rock. It is one of our favorite places.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:30 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
If these drives people mention for going to Chimney Rock on the road (74) that goes through the city of Bat Cave, I'm all for it. It might be a little longer of a drive, but the scenery is gorgeous. Nice winding roads.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
If these drives people mention for going to Chimney Rock on the road (74) that goes through the city of Bat Cave, I'm all for it. It might be a little longer of a drive, but the scenery is gorgeous. Nice winding roads.
I was trying to remember what the scenery looked like on that road. I just remember a very car sick little boy from our attempt of that drive.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I like this museum: The Charlotte Museum of History (http://www.charlottemuseum.org/plan_visit.asp - broken link).

You didn't mention that you have kids but if you do, there is Discovery Place » igniting wonder since 1981 and IMAGINON: PLANNING YOUR VISIT.

For a list of events, you can also visit View all Charlotte North Carolina Events.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 AM

153 posts, read 474,530 times
Sunday suggestion - the U.S. Whitewater Center, just off I-85 in Charlotte ...

U.S. National Whitewater Center :: Whitewater Rafting, Biking, Climbing, Kayaking, Ziplines, Food, and Fun. - Come Play!

Monday morning suggestion - visit one of the numerous NASCAR race shops in the area. Many offer tours, and are convenient to the Concord Mills area.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:41 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
You would take 85 South to 74 in Kings Mountain to get to Asheville, that would be your best bet
if you are leaving from Charlotte.

eta:
Lake Lure is beautiful! If you go through there be sure and stop at the
Geneva Riverside at their Tiki Bar, pretty good sandwiches and great views!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte