Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,426,686 times

Advertisements

As someone who was born and raised near Charlotte and splits his time between the area and Charleston (Mt. Pleasant actually) hopefully I can give you some perspective.

Your questions:

1. I need excellent public schools and am mostly looking at N. Charlotte (Davidson, Huntersville, Mooresville) - any feedback on these schools? I have 2 elementary aged kids. Input? What about the southeast for public schools? Budget is $325K or less for a home or town home. << Good schools in the area that you have listed. Also maybe Fort Mill. I would not at this time suggest Union County as they are going through some pretty tough things WRT schools and redistricting.

2. Is Charlotte genuinely more progressive than Charleston? I've shopped and dined in Charlotte but don't have a "feel" for whether that is true or not. I know BOTH areas in in the Bible Belt..I have no illusions about that (I am religious, just not overly so) but wonder if Charlotte is more of live and let live??? << Over the years Charlotte has become a blue city in a red state. Their former, 4 term - GOP mayor ran for governor and didn't carry the city. He ran a second time, and just barely carried the town. It is extremely liberal these days for better or worse depending on which side of the isle you fall down on. Yes it is in the bible belt and you can find your religion just about anyway you want it. Evangelical to Hard Rock Scripture, it all can be found there.

3. Is traffic a battle at all hours of the day or mostly peak commute times? << Traffic, yep its there. Travel up Hwy 17 or around Daniel Island during rush hour, that's tame compared to some areas around Charlotte. But then again some areas aren't all that bad.

4. Pros or Cons for the metro Charlotte area a local can share? << Pro's - Decent quality of life for the most part. Sports teams, Not as uptight of a city as it was a while back. Good entertainment and night life but mostly in the downtown area. Some areas are coming out of the recession and building again, like Southend and NoDa. New baseball stadium downtown. Jobs seem to be coming back to the area. Crime rate is not terrible, not great, but nothing that would make you feel unsafe. Close proximity to both the mountains and the beaches. (I can be in Charleston or Asheville in about 2.5 hours)

Cons - City at times takes itself too seriously. Tries hard to be "world class" but fails mostly. Traffic can be bad in areas but nothing like LA or any other really big city. Urban sprawl is pretty rampart. There's not an intimate feeling that I get in Charleston. Very few walkable neighborhoods, with neighborhood markets, shopping or pubs. You just about have to have a car to get anywhere. Schools can be inconsistent in quality. Diversity is close to non-existent. City/County Gov't seems to be pretty clueless at times and pander to their bases a lot. Like Charleston, Charlotte is become a transient city. Nobody is from here much anymore and nobody has plans on living here forever.

Don't get me wrong here, I like Charlotte fine. I had plenty of chances to move to other cities, but chose to stay in the area. Charleston is my retirement and final resting place. It speaks to me in ways Charlotte never has. If I was moving away from there I don't know that I would put Charlotte at the top of my list. Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 04:51 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Cons - City at times takes itself too seriously. Tries hard to be "world class" but fails mostly. Traffic can be bad in areas but nothing like LA or any other really big city. Urban sprawl is pretty rampart. There's not an intimate feeling that I get in Charleston. Very few walkable neighborhoods, with neighborhood markets, shopping or pubs. You just about have to have a car to get anywhere. Schools can be inconsistent in quality. Diversity is close to non-existent. City/County Gov't seems to be pretty clueless at times and pander to their bases a lot. Like Charleston, Charlotte is become a transient city. Nobody is from here much anymore and nobody has plans on living here forever.

I agree with mostly what you stated but a little perplexed on the diversity bit. For Charlotte's size it's a pretty diverse place in general compared to many other cities and metros . And any city in the south/sun belt requires a car and you'll need one in Charleston. Schools are inconsistent everywhere but doesn't mean you can't get a quality education from a public school....basically, Charlotte isn't any different than anywhere else.

Charleston is like living in Georgetown (DC) without the rest of DC or living in Alexandria, Va. It's quaint, touristy and perfect for what you mentioned - walkable, charming, etc and ideal location for water and beach related activities.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,339,296 times
I'm surprised people have said Charlotte has more in the way of dining than Charleston. I thought everyone always says Charleston is one of the best cities around for dining.

The professional sports point is probably a good point for an advantage to Charlotte. But a few people have also mentioned public transportation...I guess the fact that it exists is a positive, but is one (soon to be 2) light rail line and a halfway decent bus system really that much to brag about?

I'm also not sure if you can use the "close to the beach" argument if the beach that Charlotte is closest to is where OP is moving from and is almost 3 hours away.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:06 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm surprised people have said Charlotte has more in the way of dining than Charleston. I thought everyone always says Charleston is one of the best cities around for dining.

The professional sports point is probably a good point for an advantage to Charlotte. But a few people have also mentioned public transportation...I guess the fact that it exists is a positive, but is one (soon to be 2) light rail line and a halfway decent bus system really that much to brag about?

I'm also not sure if you can use the "close to the beach" argument if the beach that Charlotte is closest to is where OP is moving from and is almost 3 hours away.
When I lived in the upstate of SC, I always thought Charleston restaurants were great. But, after being in Charlotte for a while, there is nothing down there that I think is over the top or wish was in Charlotte. Charlotte's restaurant scene is very underrated. Each area from Southpark, Downtown, Montford, NODA, Southend, Elizabeth, East Boulevard to Central Ave has terrific restaurants. It is sad that publications like Southern Living ignore Charlotte, they seem to cater to whatever story is being promoted.

There are a lot of advantages for Charlotte........education (public schools...with a few exceptions... in Charleston are terrible), housing, jobs, air travel, art venues, shopping, growth, transit options, etc.... and within each of these categories, the depth that Charlotte has over Charleston. But remember, Charlotte has 2.5m residents v about 700k for Charleston, the difference between the cities is large.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I agree with mostly what you stated but a little perplexed on the diversity bit. For Charlotte's size it's a pretty diverse place in general compared to many other cities and metros . And any city in the south/sun belt requires a car and you'll need one in Charleston. Schools are inconsistent everywhere but doesn't mean you can't get a quality education from a public school....basically, Charlotte isn't any different than anywhere else.

Charleston is like living in Georgetown (DC) without the rest of DC or living in Alexandria, Va. It's quaint, touristy and perfect for what you mentioned - walkable, charming, etc and ideal location for water and beach related activities.
I stand on what I say about diversity. Most neighborhoods in CLT are not diverse (very few are), neither are the churches. Yes you can get a quality education in public schools, (my kids go to public schools, but not in Charlotte), but again, few of those schools exist in Charlotte. Many to most are mediocre at best, and quite a few under perform. Why do you think that the private schools in the area thrive. Most progressive metropolitan cities have a decent public transportation system and a car is more of a convenience than a requirement like it is here. I think that you could live in Charleston without a car, but in Charlotte it could be done, but only in select neighborhoods, like Myers P, PlazaMid or Southend. You'd need a car in Cotswald, Ballentyne, University, Matthews etc.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,957,224 times
Charlotte is three times as large as Charleston and Atlanta is almost three times larger than Charlotte.....if you want a real city Atlanta may be a better option....people are moving to charlotte in droves the same reason they are to Charleston beside the beach IMO

Old 12-17-2013, 02:35 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
I stand on what I say about diversity. Most neighborhoods in CLT are not diverse (very few are), neither are the churches. Yes you can get a quality education in public schools, (my kids go to public schools, but not in Charlotte), but again, few of those schools exist in Charlotte. Many to most are mediocre at best, and quite a few under perform. Why do you think that the private schools in the area thrive. Most progressive metropolitan cities have a decent public transportation system and a car is more of a convenience than a requirement like it is here. I think that you could live in Charleston without a car, but in Charlotte it could be done, but only in select neighborhoods, like Myers P, PlazaMid or Southend. You'd need a car in Cotswald, Ballentyne, University, Matthews etc.
Are you implying that other cities Charlotte size or Charleston or more diverse? What America do you live in? For Charlotte's size and location (south), just a little confounded with what other cities are more progressive transportation wise, please share. Most cities in the south don't have light rail or any form of local rail transit.

You could live anywhere without a car and I lived in the heart of DC and liked the luxury of having a car and needed it a majority of the time.

Your are delusional if you think Charleston or other public schools in America are much better than those in Charlotte, don't believe the hype. Some people have become so latched to the whirlwind of falsehoods about public schools failing and not equipped to provide a strong education for those kids willing to learn it's become reality....not true. County schools usually rank higher and that's true most places but doesn't mean the resources, teachers and ability to exceed aren't available at any public school. I guess people think teachers at these public schools smoke weed all day or aren't as vested in a kid learning because of test scores...no, plenty of kids leave these schools, go to college and other endeavers and excel in life. Private schools thrive everywhere for those that can afford them - nothing new.

Some of what you say has some merit but extremely exaggerated and not reality.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 12-17-2013 at 02:50 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Charlotte will naturally have more culinary options since it's a good deal larger than Charleston, but in terms of quality, Charleston's culinary scene is quite notable.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Are you implying that other cities Charlotte size or Charleston or more diverse? What America do you live in? For Charlotte's size and location (south), just a little confounded with what other cities are more progressive transportation wise, please share. Most cities in the south don't have light rail or any form of local rail transit.

You could live anywhere without a car and I lived in the heart of DC and liked the luxury of having a car and needed it a majority of the time.

Your are delusional if you think Charleston or other public schools in America are much better than those in Charlotte, don't believe the hype. Some people have become so latched to the whirlwind of falsehoods about public schools failing and not equipped to provide a strong education for those kids willing to learn it's become reality....not true. County schools usually rank higher and that's true most places but doesn't mean the resources, teachers and ability to exceed aren't available at any public school. I guess people think teachers at these public schools smoke weed all day or aren't as vested in a kid learning because of test scores...no, plenty of kids leave these schools, go to college and other endeavers and excel in life. Private schools thrive everywhere for those that can afford them - nothing new.

Some of what you say has some merit but extremely exaggerated and not reality.
First, I don't appreciate being attacked. I presented my views, based on a life time of experience in the city and the area. I didn't ask for you to call me delusional and if you don't agree that's fine, state your case and move on. Attacking me is not productive and makes your argument look shallow.

I look at cities like Denver CO. Seattle Wa, Nashville Tenn, all are way more diverse than Charlotte has ever been.

I think you are also missing most of what I said. I never compared Charlotte to Charleston. I simply stated my view based on the OPs question of pros and cons. I never ragged on teachers either. But take a look a sites like goodschools.com or compare scores of the top 10 high schools in the state at US News. Only Butler and North Meck make in the top ten and only East makes in the top 20. Compare that to the Wake County/Guilford county schools. Charleston has 3 in the top twenty for SC and is a much smaller district. Like you said there are good schools and bad schools everywhere. Just like there is good weather and bad weather everywhere, so I don't really get your jab. I personally don't think CMS has done a stellar job in providing education when compared to similar sized or even larger districts like Wake Co or even Charleston Co.

Yes absolutely you could live anywhere without a car. Jeeze people do it all the time, but in Charlotte it is way harder unless you live directly on a mass transit line. Charlotte does little to effectively put mass transit in areas that would support it. Beyond the blue line, there's little to offer except the bus which mainly serves the urban areas of the city. Try getting from Rea Rd or Matthews to UNCC. Try to get to the Cato campus at CPCC from the 5 points without a car. Cities like Portland Ore, Salt Lake City and San Jose Ca. All have better MT and are of Charlotte's size or only slightly larger. Seattle has 100% better MT system than Charlotte. You can go virtually from one end of the state to the other on municipal transportation. As far as the south goes, I will give you that. ATL has the crappiest MT system that I have ever seen. Richmond's is ridiculous as well, however all of these cities are basically New South cities that boomed after WWII when cars were the big thing. It is difficult, albeit not impossible to shoe horn a mass transit system into an urban area that was designed all along for car travel. Charlotte is no where close to being a shinning example of an effective mass transit system.

Again, I am not ragging on Charlotte. I am pointing out my view as a life long resident, a product of CMS, and a business owner. I am fine that you don't agree, but I don't appreciate the name calling.

Peace.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
First, I don't appreciate being attacked. I presented my views, based on a life time of experience in the city and the area. I didn't ask for you to call me delusional and if you don't agree that's fine, state your case and move on. Attacking me is not productive and makes your argument look shallow.

I look at cities like Denver CO. Seattle Wa, Nashville Tenn, all are way more diverse than Charlotte has ever been.

I think you are also missing most of what I said. I never compared Charlotte to Charleston. I simply stated my view based on the OPs question of pros and cons. I never ragged on teachers either. But take a look a sites like goodschools.com or compare scores of the top 10 high schools in the state at US News. Only Butler and North Meck make in the top ten and only East makes in the top 20. Compare that to the Wake County/Guilford county schools. Charleston has 3 in the top twenty for SC and is a much smaller district. Like you said there are good schools and bad schools everywhere. Just like there is good weather and bad weather everywhere, so I don't really get your jab. I personally don't think CMS has done a stellar job in providing education when compared to similar sized or even larger districts like Wake Co or even Charleston Co.

Yes absolutely you could live anywhere without a car. Jeeze people do it all the time, but in Charlotte it is way harder unless you live directly on a mass transit line. Charlotte does little to effectively put mass transit in areas that would support it. Beyond the blue line, there's little to offer except the bus which mainly serves the urban areas of the city. Try getting from Rea Rd or Matthews to UNCC. Try to get to the Cato campus at CPCC from the 5 points without a car. Cities like Portland Ore, Salt Lake City and San Jose Ca. All have better MT and are of Charlotte's size or only slightly larger. Seattle has 100% better MT system than Charlotte. You can go virtually from one end of the state to the other on municipal transportation. As far as the south goes, I will give you that. ATL has the crappiest MT system that I have ever seen. Richmond's is ridiculous as well, however all of these cities are basically New South cities that boomed after WWII when cars were the big thing. It is difficult, albeit not impossible to shoe horn a mass transit system into an urban area that was designed all along for car travel. Charlotte is no where close to being a shinning example of an effective mass transit system.

Again, I am not ragging on Charlotte. I am pointing out my view as a life long resident, a product of CMS, and a business owner. I am fine that you don't agree, but I don't appreciate the name calling.

Peace.
Be careful using magazine rankings for high schools, the are at best an illusion. I grew up in SC and even for SC, Charleston schools are not good. Sure, there may be a few good schools in wealthy areas but lowcountry schools are not good. And on a comparative basis, they are not on the same planet as some CMS schools.

As for diversity, that is always a personal perception. I see Charlotte as a diverse city. Is it a true melting pot, no. But, it is in no way segregated. If you are comparing it to Charleston, I don't see a lot of difference.

I am still amused at Charleston being like Georgetown in DC, there is a big difference....not sure where that was posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte