Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 06:38 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

WILLGRACE: I am so sorry to hear of your situation. I would be totally disheartened after a year of searching so I can only imagine how you feel. It really does sound like this is not the place for you, for whatever reasons. And the job market is only getting tougher day by day.

Here is sending you good wishes that whatever you decide, it falls in place for you so you can move on with your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:54 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Then you get situations like my wife. She found something in back in October only after two days of looking, making out better than before. Days before she started she was offered an interview with another company, then had an agency call her up at work just yesterday or the day before to talk to her. Even in this economy.

I mean figure that one out.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:02 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Then you get situations like my wife. She found something in back in October only after two days of looking, making out better than before. Days before she started she was offered an interview with another company, then had an agency call her up at work just yesterday or the day before to talk to her. Even in this economy.

I mean figure that one out.
You are exactly right. Those freak things do happen. Alot of it has to do w/timing. Being in the right place at the right time.....Its happened to me recently also so I can relate.

You thank your lucky stars and take advantage of it.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:11 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
You are exactly right. Those freak things do happen. Alot of it has to do w/timing. Being in the right place at the right time.....Its happened to me recently also so I can relate.

You thank your lucky stars and take advantage of it.

Exactly. In this case it was literally like setting foot back at the right time, an email at the right time, a phone call at the right time, just every single thing falling perfectly into place. With most people having trouble she just nailed something literally within 48 hours. And since it's happened to you, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Almost like if you had gotten up to get another cup of coffee, those two or three minutes spent may have cost you your opportunity. Something freakish like that.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Exactly. In this case it was literally like setting foot back at the right time, an email at the right time, a phone call at the right time, just every single thing falling perfectly into place. With most people having trouble she just nailed something literally within 48 hours. And since it's happened to you, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Almost like if you had gotten up to get another cup of coffee, those two or three minutes spent may have cost you your opportunity. Something freakish like that.
It is really mind boggling. And this is probably gonna sound corny, but the way I view inexplicable situations that seem like "kismet" . . . I think that sometimes, we are supposed to be in a place at a particular time and the universe works w/ us to make it all fall in place. Likewise, in my own life, I look back and see that things simply would NOT mesh at times . . . like I had all the puzzle pieces, thought they FIT, and they simply would not come together . . . in retrospect, it is like the universe was saying - "nope, this is not right for you . . . you think this is where you are supposed to be, but it isn't."

It probably sounds overly fatalistic, I would suspect . . . but since I believe we are all here for a reason . . . if only as a catalyst in someone else's life . . .

You know how people of faith will say - "I prayed and prayed and it just didn't happen - my prayers were not answered." Well, I hear that and I think . . . your prayers WERE answered - they were just answered with "No" or "not at this time."

Sometimes, we are NOT supposed to be where we are!!! Sometimes, we are being led to another place and time, where things WILL unfold for us.

A job search embraces many things. On one level, a job can be simply a way of subsisting. That is NOT a career. Sometimes doors close b/c we are meant to be pushed to opening a new door. That door may be where we are . . . or that door may be somewhere else.

Unfortunately, w/ so many jobs having been outsourced to other countries and w/ our manufacturing sector having nearly ceased to exist b/c Boards of Directors decided profit taking was more important that social responsibility . . . we have LOST jobs and therefore, people have lost their whole careers - and business sectors have literally been reduced to processing imports . . . Lives have been severely impacted.

In the end, if our skills are simply NOT NEEDED (too many people w/ that skill in one area for the job openings) there is not much we can do except go back to school to get trained for a new job or move to an area where those skills are needed (if such an area exists).

I would strongly suggest that anyone who is facing this debacle would check out our community colleges and see what degrees may be available there. Is it fair to have to "start over" after 15 or 20 years experience in a field? No. But there may be no way to get to the next level without doing it.

Sometimes, that door we are supposed to open so we can get where we are "destined" is not right in front of us. But it is there! Anyway, that is what I believe.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:45 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I just wanted to say with no disrespect, I am not using an out of town address because I have been living hear now for three years. Now I don't sit on the forum all day and post, as a matter of fact if you notice this is my first time on since the summer. But anyway I still have not found a job and yes the economy is bad right now but before the economy went crashing I could not find a job and that is just my opinion about how they do people hear, "YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE TO GET EVEN A LOW PAYING JOB". I have my degree, I have eightteen(+) years experience in payroll and whay is it? You tell me. I am constantly filling out application, my son is filling out application as well with no luck. I just made it up in my mind that this is not the place for me, so I am making my plans to go back to where I came from.

I am sorry but that is sooo not true, I knew nobody and got a job within 3 months at CMC. I wasn't fond of the drive at the time so I moved onto yet another position at Presby/Novant. I have been there for almost 2 years now and absolutely love it. Already got one promotion and got the job completely on my own. Oh and no college degree just 14 years experience. And making the same amount as I would be making in MD so I have nothing to complain about and love it here in Charlotte. What matters is where you are willing to start at and how far you want to drive to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte