Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time securing a job here in Charlotte. But, after reading several of your posts, it's clear that your grammar and sentence structure need serious improvement. If you are writing cover letters in the writing style you are using here, you are in serious trouble! No respectable employer will give your resume a second look. And that has NOTHING to do with the Charlotte job market.

I don't find anything wrong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 08:07 PM

105 posts, read 244,160 times
I'm reading the frustrations of many people who have great experience & terrific educations, & that begs the question - what about folks such as myself, a self-professed "Jill of all trades, master to none" (yes, I meant to say "to" & not "of")?
Because I never could decide what I wanted to be when I grew up & I never wanted to be a slave to a particular career, I have run the gamut of union carpenter & equipment operator to retail, to my current position as the payroll manager for a paving company - is there any hope for me in the Charlotte job market?

Old 12-07-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I don't find anything wrong here.
bmd69 - Are you being facetious? It was not stmaarten's comment that had problems, it was the comments from willgrace225 (that stmaarten was responding to)that I was referencing, re-read the post,thank you for your input.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:58 AM

674 posts, read 804,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
I'm reading the frustrations of many people who have great experience & terrific educations, & that begs the question - what about folks such as myself, a self-professed "Jill of all trades, master to none" (yes, I meant to say "to" & not "of")?
Because I never could decide what I wanted to be when I grew up & I never wanted to be a slave to a particular career, I have run the gamut of union carpenter & equipment operator to retail, to my current position as the payroll manager for a paving company - is there any hope for me in the Charlotte job market?
The key to job searching for a person like you with a varied background is amending your resume to fit the type of job you are targeting. Since you have a wide range of skills, you are going to need to mold your resume to sell yourself for whatever skills a particular employer is seeking. Example: a person has PR, marketing, writing and sales backgrounds. They apply for a sales rep position with a payroll provider, a public relations position with a non-profit, and a marketing manager position with a manufacturer. This person would have a resume for each of those skill sets, highlighting their background, education, and achievements in each of those fields. The big mistake people make is having one resume that is not targeted for each particular position for which they are applying. Couple a bad resume with not following up properly and you have a disasterous job search and a frustrated candidate who then complains about the city in which they are searching here on this forum!

Hope that helps--

Old 12-08-2007, 08:37 AM

29 posts, read 71,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini21 View Post
yeah I know.. but when I search for jobs, they're posting new opportunities everyday...Im frustrated.. this royally sucks.
I have many friends (former co-workers) who work at BofA and Wachovia. Most of them used recruiters to get them in the door and/or new someone there. Simply filling out the Application was not good enough for the majority. They really needed that GOOD recruiter with access to their HR department.

Do you work in Capital Markets? Also, consider a consulting gig as well. Better pay - worse benefits - potential 'IN' for you.

Good luck

Old 12-08-2007, 08:38 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,718,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulani View Post
bmd69 - Are you being facetious? It was not stmaarten's comment that had problems, it was the comments from willgrace225 (that stmaarten was responding to)that I was referencing, re-read the post,thank you for your input.
Thanks, for clearing that up, Aulani.
BTW, you should have no problem securing a job in Charlotte, simply because you seem to be willing to adjust. Many people tend focus on one sector (i.e. finance, banking) and are not willing to look into other lines of work, that may initially pay less.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Thanks...

NCisgreat - great advice, thanks! I enjoy shoveling snow more than writing a resume - ugh! But, you are correct, having more than one - with each one highlighting a different skill set - is a good (if painful) idea.
A Charlotte realtor sent me a very large list of temp companies, I had sort of thought I would forward my resume(s) there to perhaps land something to tide me over. My current 2nd job was a temp-to-hire opportunity & I've been with the contracted company for 3 years now, so I know the system works.
Not knowing the climate in Charlotte, I would still venture a guess that temping is a viable alternative to folks posting here.
Of course, if my home here in Maine never sells - it will be all for naught.

Last edited by Aulani; 12-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 12-08-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Thanks, for clearing that up, Aulani.
BTW, you should have no problem securing a job in Charlotte, simply because you seem to be willing to adjust. Many people tend focus on one sector (i.e. finance, banking) and are not willing to look into other lines of work, that may initially pay less.
LOL - yeah, adjusting is one of my strong points...I grew up an Army brat, so I know all about being flexible, open-minded & willing to change courses at the drop of a hat. That probably helps to explain why, as an adult, I've lived in 6 states, I love the adventure!
This move to Charlotte that I am currently working on has been the most intensely researched one yet. I guess I grow more cautious with each passing year.
BTW - can anyone tell me, roughly, how far Concord is from Charlotte? Is it too far to commute? The organization that owns the company I work for recently bought a large paving outfit based in Concord, which means I already have several years experience in the computer system they will be using; I'd be willing to give that a shot.
Oh yeah, my sister says that you folks pronounce it "Con-chord", does that mean I'll have to give up the New England version of "Conkerd"?

Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayness View Post
After the builders finish building and the mass exodus from NY/NJ/CT ends, what is the prospects for employment in this area? Do any of you think the job markets will dry up and there area will stabilize itself with people who like their new home and community? Also, what happens if all the banks pick up and leave? Just curious...
If one or both of the banks leave, and it really wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of them do, Charlotte will be, for lack of a better word, screwed. I'm just glad I finally got out of this city.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
If one or both of the banks leave, and it really wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of them do, Charlotte will be, for lack of a better word, screwed. I'm just glad I finally got out of this city.
Well...we are glad ya left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte