Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:12 PM

382 posts, read 1,887,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
Ok, clearly you do not understand how job searching works so I'll fill you in:

EVERYWHERE (not just Charlotte) but EVERYWHERE, it is harder to search for a job if you have an out-of-state address or phone number. Headhunters and recruiters recommend getting local voicemail and PO Boxes/addresses to list on resumes and applications. Why?? Because LOCALS are indeed easier to hire, require no relocation assistance, and generally can start more quickly than out-of-state candidates. It's not because they are prejudiced-- that is a strong word, you may want to check yourself before you fling it around.
This is right on point. And if you're desperate for a job, sign up with a temp agency. I'd hope that people weren't just being all "i'm too good for that" while they wait for the perfect job to fall in their lap. It's not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 01:55 PM

138 posts, read 413,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpocketbooks View Post
This is right on point. And if you're desperate for a job, sign up with a temp agency. I'd hope that people weren't just being all "i'm too good for that" while they wait for the perfect job to fall in their lap. It's not going to happen.
I am a licensed (NY) attorney (waiting for NC license) who has had a very difficult time finding a job. I am consistently told that I am "over-qualified" for legal/support positions, as well as other non-legal positions I have applied for (even by temp and placement agencies). The process for obtaining my NC law license is very long - approx. 12-15 months (so I am told).

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:04 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times
Does your resume go into full detail about all of your achievements? Take the advice your being given by possible employers and "tone it down a bit"......That is if you want a support position.....Also when you get your state license things won't be as hard most likely.

Old 12-06-2007, 03:32 PM

44 posts, read 158,170 times
Martini....

on that, I understand. I've been looking for jobs for months now as a preemptive move before I move into town in January/early February.

Even amongst years of sales and marketing as well as a ton of leadership/managerial experience.....I've had no luck finding a job and very very little accountability from hiring companies within the area. Southern hospitality my tookus.

So, I can certainly relate.

-Ryan

Old 12-06-2007, 03:39 PM

674 posts, read 804,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan101 View Post
Southern hospitality my tookus.
Come on Ryan, it's business. If you are not right for the job or are not assertive enough to sell yourself, it is not the hiring managers' fault that they don't follow up with you. You should know that, being in sales.

Job searching is hard, but your field in particular should not be a big deal if you are looking regularly. I know a guy with very little sales experience who landed a job making close to 6 figures in industrial sales. Just bought his first house and a new truck. Sales jobs are pretty plentiful here.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
. I know a guy with very little sales experience who landed a job making close to 6 figures in industrial sales. Just bought his first house and a new truck. Sales jobs are pretty plentiful here.
By chance it is that guy in Modern Nissan Lake Norman commercial?

I dont know how old he is 17 or 18 but I always get urge to go buy a Nissan when I see his funny goofy ways in the commercial.

Definite someone who future should be bright.

THATS WHERE I AM HEADING

Old 12-06-2007, 04:17 PM

674 posts, read 804,528 times
hahaha, no--

Old 12-07-2007, 12:27 AM

161 posts, read 464,684 times
Default hello

I am sorry your having so much trouble and believe me I can sympathize. I just relocated to Raleigh 4 mths ago from NY and I have applied to a ton of jobs law firms too and I have gotten interviews but no offers since Oct. None of them have gone on a second round of interviews no call backs yet so they say. It's very frustrating and I too am having quite a struggle. The temp people are not getting me much work and it's very scary. I am an admin. assistant you would think it's easier. GlaxoKline is having lay offs, bank of america like someone here said and who knows how many others. It would also be uncomfortable to work for a firm even if it's next year that downsizes every year. It's all a numbers game. If the figures are good people stay and if the figures are bad people go. It's said but true. Corporate is very bad to work for. I am going to start looking into hotels such as; The Hyatt, The Hilton, The sheraton for either front desk positions or whatever I can find. Even with education, experience and good skills it seems like a waste of time to me. Not only that Raleigh tends to have a lot of universities and colleges pumping out degrees like crazy therefore the competition also increases. Some graduate and stay here while others go back home and that is a wise thing to do. I don't know that I made the best choice of leaving NY a place that I know and love born and raised to be in a constant struggle. However, I am here and I have to make the best of it It might ultimately turn out to be a good move. I am applying to jobs in Charlotte too and I rec'd a call from Act 1 a placement agency and they have positions so they say. Let's see what happens there. I don't put all my eggs in one basket and I am also applying to law firms since Raleigh is bombarded with them. I have some legal secy background and I will tend to go in that end. They pay well and rarely lay off. Too bad I have limited experience in that field or else I would have a job by now. The other thing is timing and luck goes a long way. I have heard a lot of success stories of people who come here and find a job in less than one month while others take longer myself being one of them. I get all sorts of excuses from people that after a while you don't know what to believe. There are days I want to pick up and go back to NY no matter how expensive it may be. The expense didn't bother me I had a good paying job.

I wish you all the luck in the earth and I hear that career journal is a good site for employment and indeed too is a good site.

Happy Holiday !!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:15 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I don't know what it is about out of state people trying to find jobs here, I find them to be prejudice against anyone coming from outstate and that is just my opinion. Not unless you know someone that can get you in other than that it might take you forever to find a job here, I am getting so discourage day by day and some days are ready to go back to where I came from. It just to hard to find a job here. I have been seraching now for about a year with no luck. I am trying to stick it out because I have to at this point, I have no money to relocate back to another state and my husband did find a job here because of someone that he knew. But I am jus so depressed behind it, it is horrible. No matter what your expeirience and crudentials are, you can have all the degrees and it is still hard to find work here.
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time securing a job here in Charlotte. But, after reading several of your posts, it's clear that your grammar and sentence structure need serious improvement. If you are writing cover letters in the writing style you are using here, you are in serious trouble! No respectable employer will give your resume a second look. And that has NOTHING to do with the Charlotte job market.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:19 PM

105 posts, read 244,114 times
Default Too true, too true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time securing a job here in Charlotte. But, after reading several of your posts, it's clear that your grammar and sentence structure need serious improvement. If you are writing cover letters in the writing style you are using here, you are in serious trouble! No respectable employer will give your resume a second look. And that has NOTHING to do with the Charlotte job market.

stmaarten - thank you for stating what I was thinking. Willgrace, please consider what this poster has said - it has great value. When the only thing a hiring manager has to go on is your written voice, it is critical that it be clear & correct. You may find that is all you need to do to get the call back that you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte