Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 AM

Location: Atlanta, Moving to Charlotte, Fort Mill area early August 07
23 posts, read 92,843 times

Advertisements

bibit612,

Hey I just finished reading through all these posts. Very informative. I am not looking at the big banks now, I am researching through recruiters, and have received some positive responses from employees who currently work at TIAA and LPL. Currently, I am working with my current employer but I'm trying to extend the position until I find something in Charlotte. Again, I appreciate the vast number of helpful responses. Much luck to everyone and Happy Holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:18 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,315 times
Just curious, but with all the people relocating to Charlotte... aren't any of them opening new businesses and creating jobs?

Old 12-17-2007, 01:27 PM

298 posts, read 565,278 times
Default monster charlotte job market survey

http://media.monster.com/a/i/intelli...pring_2007.pdf

Here is a recruiting "intelligence" report from Monster.com that talks about the job market in Charlotte.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:50 PM

206 posts, read 514,446 times
I was thinking about this myself. It sounds like a lot of people from the north are facing more of the same...high bills and getting totally dependent on corporate jobs. Not everyone is suited for business ownership but some with the capital and ability to launch businesses should do so. It sounds like many with the resources (cash and good credit) are just plunking down on macmansions when they could get average homes and invest in a business that will provide and income and employment to others. Just something to think about.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM

63 posts, read 180,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
I'm not suggesting that they go anywhere. I just stated that I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of them leaves. Wachovia is already in the process of moving their brokerage headquarters from Richmond and Charlotte to St. Louis.
A little factual accuracy wouldn't hurt.

Wachovia Securities (a division of Wachovia) purchased AG Edwards, which is based in St. Louis.

With all due respect for the fine men and women working for Wachovia Sec, this is the equivalent of the Charlotte Knights buying the St Louis Cardinals--*of course* they're going to take the more prestigious St. Louis location and absorb as many of the knowledgeable folks inherited from AG Edwards.

That is very different from simply moving the securities division on a whim, and has nothing to do with costs, but rather working to retain much of a highly skilled workforce in St Louis.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:21 AM

99 posts, read 286,084 times
read the newest "next big thing" article in the Charlotte Observer regarding both banks building massive new towers. I think they will be in Charlotte for a while!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
If one or both of the banks leave, and it really wouldn't surprise me at all if at least one of them do, Charlotte will be, for lack of a better word, screwed. I'm just glad I finally got out of this city.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I don't know what it is about out of state people trying to find jobs here, I find them to be prejudice against anyone coming from outstate and that is just my opinion. Not unless you know someone that can get you in other than that it might take you forever to find a job here, I am getting so discourage day by day and some days are ready to go back to where I came from. It just to hard to find a job here. I have been seraching now for about a year with no luck. I am trying to stick it out because I have to at this point, I have no money to relocate back to another state and my husband did find a job here because of someone that he knew. But I am jus so depressed behind it, it is horrible. No matter what your expeirience and crudentials are, you can have all the degrees and it is still hard to find work here.
I understand how you feel. I'm in the same boat. We relocated here because my partner's company transferred us here; however, after a year I'm still searching. I have worked as a substitute teacher making little to no money and I've tried temp agencies, placement firms, direct placement firms, etc. I've joined a gym to lose the weight put on because of depression while finishing my Master's (only four classes away from graduation!) I've networked, volunteered, etc....I think becasue my field is IT compliance with lack of IT skills I'm at an disadvantage, nonetheless, I will not let this deter me. I just keep meeting people and hopefully something will happen soon....keep your head up things will get better!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM

11 posts, read 34,166 times
Default Well it has been three years

I just wanted to say with no disrespect, I am not using an out of town address because I have been living hear now for three years. Now I don't sit on the forum all day and post, as a matter of fact if you notice this is my first time on since the summer. But anyway I still have not found a job and yes the economy is bad right now but before the economy went crashing I could not find a job and that is just my opinion about how they do people hear, "YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE TO GET EVEN A LOW PAYING JOB". I have my degree, I have eightteen(+) years experience in payroll and whay is it? You tell me. I am constantly filling out application, my son is filling out application as well with no luck. I just made it up in my mind that this is not the place for me, so I am making my plans to go back to where I came from.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 PM

11 posts, read 34,166 times
Just wanted to say that I have not posted in a while but no disrespect what ever I post you don't have to respond to it and that goes for anyone and when I posted these messages, and for the record when I posted these messages I was under the asumption that they did not go through because I was fairly new to "City Data".

Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willgrace225 View Post
I just wanted to say with no disrespect, I am not using an out of town address because I have been living hear now for three years. Now I don't sit on the forum all day and post, as a matter of fact if you notice this is my first time on since the summer. But anyway I still have not found a job and yes the economy is bad right now but before the economy went crashing I could not find a job and that is just my opinion about how they do people hear, "YOU MUST KNOW SOMEONE TO GET EVEN A LOW PAYING JOB". I have my degree, I have eightteen(+) years experience in payroll and whay is it? You tell me. I am constantly filling out application, my son is filling out application as well with no luck. I just made it up in my mind that this is not the place for me, so I am making my plans to go back to where I came from.
willgrace - I am so sorry you have had such a tough time here in Charlotte - I know you must be so discouraged. This has happened to several people I know, so believe me, you are not the only one! Making plans to leave now sounds like a prudent thing to do. I sure wish you well and hope for better days for you and your family. God bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte