Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

I hope to be moving to greenville sc sometime this year Mccar has the perfect floor plan for me. Has anyone had a good experience with them in greenville or is it all just negative. help me please.

Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,758 times
Default Moving to Greenville

While all of these posts are for the most part negative, I count the people on this website and there are only a few who recommend not buying a McCar home. Look through the rest of this site a few have complaints and still recommend McCar. A few will warn against them but if you do a little research McCar built over 3000 homes last year and if this all the people that have major complaints I think their positive to negative ratio is better than most builders. If you don't believe me do a little more research, you can find people complaining about their builders all over the internet.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:10 PM

93 posts, read 393,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrega View Post
I hope to be moving to greenville sc sometime this year Mccar has the perfect floor plan for me. Has anyone had a good experience with them in greenville or is it all just negative. help me please.
It's true....the overall complaints vs. satisfied homeowners with McCar is minute. That statistic could very easily stand for anything, really. Look hard enough and you'll find dissatisfied customers in any situation no matter how good a reputation a company does have. At anyrate, if this helps, my goal in using this forum was to get my builders attention, which, I have. To hold them accountable to what was done to me and my family and our home purchase. Certainly this builder would not still be building if they were doing more negative than positive. Obviously, that stands for something. My goal was also for awareness. To bring to light what has been done in my particular situation and to get my builder to respond. They (finally) did. Take all the information you read here with a grain of salt. I've said it before, I'll say it again...today's building standards are just not what they used to be. My parents live in a 100 year old home which still has origional hardwoods that shine and are just as beautiful now as they were then. No way will the ones in my home even see year 10! If anything, my purpose here was to maybe get other homeowners to vent as we have, and maybe, get the ball rolling in the building industry (for all builders) that we want quality again. Yes, McCar showcases beautiful homes. They have very nice floorplans. If you build with them (or anyone else, for that matter), keep track of everything. Document everything. And, most of all, if a problem arises, don't back down.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 104,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mventer View Post
While all of these posts are for the most part negative, I count the people on this website and there are only a few who recommend not buying a McCar home. Look through the rest of this site a few have complaints and still recommend McCar. A few will warn against them but if you do a little research McCar built over 3000 homes last year and if this all the people that have major complaints I think their positive to negative ratio is better than most builders. If you don't believe me do a little more research, you can find people complaining about their builders all over the internet.
You must be a McCar Employee. We were told by a little bird that all the positive posts were coming from newcomers "employees". Maybe the reason you only see McCar homeowners complaining is because the other builders aren't as bad...

Old 02-23-2007, 05:00 PM

4 posts, read 14,758 times
Here is a list of all forums of people who hate their homebuilders.
http://www.hadd.com/websites.php (broken link)
And no some maybe employees but not all.
And if you don't like the aboe website try a google search and type in "I hate (insert homebuilder name here)"

Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 AM

140 posts, read 590,147 times
Sometimes a builder may have problems in one region, or even one development, when otherwise they may be a good builder. Alot has to do with the local/regional building supers.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:21 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robretpd View Post
Sometimes a builder may have problems in one region, or even one development, when otherwise they may be a good builder. Alot has to do with the local/regional building supers.
That is SOOOO true...I have had clients who swear by a particular builder, and then I hear someone else with complaints. The best thing to do is to keep an eye on the construction process and hire an inspector as well.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,349 times
I purchased a McCar home and am waiting for the one year walkthrough.

I think if you use an inspector not one reccommended by a realtor and understand that they are servicing other homes in your respective community it should not be a problem. I have heard complaints about nail pops. However I have only noticed a couple. My only concern is setting and hairline cracks in the garage floor. This should not be consider part of the actual foundation. However, I did find out that the hairline cracks have to be wider than a dime and they will correct it.

I think my home is great. However, each builder has their own emphasis. Ryland's kitchens are not as big for instance but the wood floor selection and quality was better. Each builders crimps a little on cost for different items.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:00 AM

42 posts, read 204,360 times
As a realtor I will keep that in mind, I'm in atlanta and there is a MCcarr property right down the street from me. I had only heard good things about the builder... but their operations in Atlanta may be completely different from Charlotte..... Good luck in finding a new home......with the market being the way it is, most builders will continue to market your property when you put up a contigency contract.....

Old 02-25-2007, 02:58 PM
SC1

3 posts, read 11,117 times
Default Mostly good, some bad experiences

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrega View Post
We bought the Crestwood in the Gilder Creek subdivision (Simpsonville) last December and for the most part have had a positive experience. We bought a spec home and most of the McCar houses are less than 4 years old in the neighborhood. The last section of the Gilder Creek subdivision is mostly McCar with a few houses from another builder.

We had our one year inspection in December and had the usual stuff - some hair line cracks, a few pieces of the wood flooring needed to be fixed for the second time, one piece of siding needing to be replaced, a couple of door frames needed to be straightened, our island needed to be leveled, various window frames needed to be caulked -- nothing major just a bunch of little annoying things.

When we first looked at the house there was long list of things that needed to be addressed. Again, nothing major just all the little things it always seems you have to nag the builder to take care of in a spec home -- missing paint in some places, caulking, things not square, mulch needed some touching up because it was a little thin, a couple of sections of the sod were dead, some sections of the wood floors needed to be redone, some of the fixtures were mismatched, a couple of the cabinet doors were warped. About 90% of that was addressed by closing and the other 10% a couple of weeks later.

This is a pretty social neighborhood and we have met most of the neighbors in this section and the overall consensus is very positive. It's not all sunny, everyone found annoying things about their house the first year but most of the problems were eventually resolved.

I can't think of any builder - national, regional or custom that gets it right all the time. I echo the sentiments of others on this forum - the disgruntled are the vocal minority and if you look hard enough you will find unhappy people with any builder.

If you have an issue with McCar or any builder for that matter, then I suggest you start with the local people and if they give you the run around then talk to someone at the top. I was getting the runaround on installing gas logs with my local person so I respectfully laid out the situation to Rob McCrae (VP of construction) and it was resolved as fast as things could be scheduled.

Good luck in your potential move to Greenville. Don't just take my word for it though - when the weather warms up and you are down this way, drive through McCar neighborhoods and talk to the people outside. They will tell you what they think of the builder and neighborhood - good and bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte