Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 04:21 PM

22 posts, read 105,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
Would it be safe to assume that this product is used in all states McCar builds in? My floors do shine, but, the floors are definitely not 'forgiving' to anything that falls onto them. Just about everyone I've talked to in my neighborhood hates the flooring. That's why I talked to the sales associate last year. (read above post) I'm thinking it's a builder-wide issue, not just a specific area. Then again, I don't know for sure. I've verbally recommended homeowners to call warrenty enforce, but, it seems many people just complain about the floors but don't actually do anything about finding a solution. So, it's kinda fallen by the wayside here.....
I think the reason it has fallen to the wayside for some of us is McCar refuses to acknowledge that there is anything wrong with our floors. I have complained since day one and was told that is the way it is suppose to look. My floors are less than 2 years old and are peeling, fading and separating. When I showed it to the warranty person their comment was "there is nothing wrong with your floors". They had someone from Georgia Floor come out and clean them because they said it was a film that made it look dull. Well it still looks dull. I can get on my hands and knees with a towel and use the Bruce floor cleaner and still looks like crap. So after awhile you get tired of the runaround and let it go. But I know one thing I will not let go is - telling people to stay away from McCar Homes.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 33,186 times
Who manufactures the flooring? Is it the builder?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:53 AM

I was searching the net looking for issues with another builder when I found this site. I was amazed to find that a corporate V.P. of Construction cares enough to search the net for blogs like this one and actually get involved. It shows they care. In searching for issues on other builders, I have not seen them responding and giving out their email address.
I do not mean to take any validity away from any issues that have been raised thus far, I was just shocked that this builder is willing to be active in the issues.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
I was searching the net looking for issues with another builder when I found this site. I was amazed to find that a corporate V.P. of Construction cares enough to search the net for blogs like this one and actually get involved. It shows they care. In searching for issues on other builders, I have not seen them responding and giving out their email address.
I do not mean to take any validity away from any issues that have been raised thus far, I was just shocked that this builder is willing to be active in the issues.
You could look at it several ways, yes the VP of Construction cares, or maybe someone enlightened him to this website and what is being said about McCar Homes. There have been quite a few people who have decided not to buy McCar because of these postings. I am sure that this is one of the reasons Mr. McCrae is on this site.
I know as a McCar homeowner, my first year here was not pleasant. I dealt with one too many, uncaring, ignorant and condescending warranty managers, subs, workers, etc. Until Mr. McCrae appeared I had used two weeks of my vacation time to get warranty work done over and over. Each time the old crew came out they made the issues worse. At least I can say the new crew had a clue. I am still not happy with my carpeting, laminate floors, the framing in my son's room or the bowed studs in my kitchen, but it falls within the guidelines of McCar's "handy" little homeowner's guide.
I thought when I bought a new house it would be years before it would fall apart. ??

Old 02-20-2007, 05:23 PM

17 posts, read 69,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly2Charlotte View Post
I was considering purchasing a home through McCar, until I came across this blog, does anyone recommend an apt builder?
IN REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION I DID SOME RESERACH ON EASTWOOD HOMES
AND THE SEEM TO HAVE A CLEAN RECORD THRU BBB& CON AF.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Ireland,
While I cannot comment on the severity of the bowed studs in your home. I can say that the information found in most Home Builders manuals, come not from their own imaginations. They infact are standards set forth by the building industry. You will probably find those very same standards in documentation from your local Home Builders Association.
The uncaring, ignorant and condesending warranty manager and subs, well, those are unique qualities you find in some people today. I am sure that it has never been this builder nor any other builders intention to send people with this attitude to yours or any other home.
Today's home builder relies on repeat buyers as well as a positive word of mouth campaign. While I am more than convinced that you have issues, I do not believe that they would at any point intenionally ignore you or any other home buyer.
Give them a chance. It looks like someone is trying to help. Take the help while it is there.
Just my thoughts. I do hope that you get the issue taken care of.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blabbermouth View Post
Ireland,
While I cannot comment on the severity of the bowed studs in your home. I can say that the information found in most Home Builders manuals, come not from their own imaginations. They infact are standards set forth by the building industry. You will probably find those very same standards in documentation from your local Home Builders Association.
The uncaring, ignorant and condesending warranty manager and subs, well, those are unique qualities you find in some people today. I am sure that it has never been this builder nor any other builders intention to send people with this attitude to yours or any other home.
Today's home builder relies on repeat buyers as well as a positive word of mouth campaign. While I am more than convinced that you have issues, I do not believe that they would at any point intenionally ignore you or any other home buyer.
Give them a chance. It looks like someone is trying to help. Take the help while it is there.
Just my thoughts. I do hope that you get the issue taken care of.
I am sure it never was their intention, but why did it take so long before they finally heard us. Maybe because we went beyond their ears. As far as McCar is concerned they are done with my one year walk-thru. Did I mention it only took 18 months...Yes, they are there trying to help "only what they have to do by warranty". They profess they build with passion for over 50 years. Well, the McSwain Family should rethink that one. Because the only passion I see is mass building, poor quality and abundance of excuses for why there are so many defects. Maybe they should slow down and hire real professionals, not a bunch of subs off of street corners. I know I sound angry and I feel I have every right to. I have built three houses (NJ) and never once have I ever dealt with anything like this. I was warned about how homes were built in GA, but never did I ever expect anything like this. I know this has left a sour taste in my mouth, one that will take a long time to leave. Shame on McCar Homes.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 6,394 times
Thumbs down Actions Speak a lot Louder ~!

Hello fellow McCar haters! I too am unlpleased with my house as well. It all started at Construction when the had the elevation messed up. By this I mean a kitchen where the study goes and a toilet where the kitchen sink should be. There isn't one straight corner in my house, looks like the mexicans they hire just are skilled at one thing - complete it FAST!!! I have more nail pops appearing in the walls than a 12 year old fat girl has zits. The floors creak (upstairs) like I live in some house from The Color Purple, My closet doors are warped and dont close right, they didnt use tyvek around the houses becuase they are cheap. Tyvek is a good insulator and protects the wood beneath the vinyl and makes the house less drafty and lastly My Windows - My God!! They SUCK, No actually they BLOW, a lot of air in. They are so drafty and the utility bills and gas bills show it. We even had a guy come out to give us an esitmate on new windows. I havent paid one cent to the homeowners becuase they arent doing anything to the neighboorhod. Still have people parking in the narrow streets, basketball goals left up, a leaking pool that has fungus from the river it has made in the parking lot, nails all in the road becuase they dont street sweep anymore... After living there a year, STILL have no streetlights so it's perfect for someone to be mugged or rapped at dusk because you cant see a thing at night. Then developement Robbins Brook is shapped like an oval so people think it's a damn Nascar event going down the street like they are in some Back to the Future movie where they gotta hit 88 miles per hour. I think I will create a sign that says " Don't Buy A McCar home!" We need speedbumps or somthing and you know homeowners isn't going cover it - supposedly its the "city" that has that issue to deal with. Bottom line here is that I will not buy another McCarr home and will steer as many people away as I can on every blog there is, every person I talk to just becuase I am not happy!!!!

Jeremy Esbrandt
Robbins Brook
Winston Salem, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsolnmsol View Post
The homes are beautiful to the eye, but, it's what you discover AFTER you sign on the bottom line that will scare you to death! McCar 'says' they'll fix everything, but, the quality and workmanship have been horrible. The employees are often transferred or laid off which leaves you, the homeowner, having to deal with new people and reexplaining your problems over and over again. It's very frustrating. The employees are very placating and even down right disrespectful and rude when you point out problems. Then, when you have no choice but to fight them on the problems, well, then they turn on you and make you out to be the bad guy. I'm currently in contact with Rob McRae, vice president of construction with McCar. He posted on this forum. He says he's genuinely concerned and wants to make things right. If McCar can turn itself around they might be able to stop this situation from exploding. It would be wonderful if McCar did the right thing with each unhappy homeowner. I'll keep you all posted on the outcome of our conversations so you can have better knowledge when deciding on purchasing with McCar. I hate to be the 'pain', but, somebody's gotta do it!! After all, is it too much to expect a quality home from a builder you give your money to? We shouldn't have to expect or accept anything less.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:48 PM

You seem to be very angry,
Many builders build the same home with the garage on the right or left. Same plan just flipped. This sounds like what happened with the toilet in the kitchen. While at first this may seem like a bad thing, it could have advantages. Just kidding.

The there are two things I would like to comment on here.
First is the Home Owners Association. The money you pay covers many things. Most of which you probably would not see, like insurance or the ones you can see the ammenaties. Do not stoop to a level benath yourself. Pay the anual fee. This way the HOA does not file liens against your property.

The second is the street. You may indeed have your very own version of the Robbins Brook 500. In most, not all, cases the streets are turned over to the local municipality. This is true. I have to take McCar's side on this one. It is not thier fault that other people decide to race around the subdivision. Call the cops. Personal responsibilty comes in to play on this one and we all have to police our own subdivisions as well.

I understand your anger, but not everything is the builders fault. Give credit were it is due. Whether the credit is good or bad, but everything cannot be thier fault.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:39 AM

93 posts, read 393,494 times
I have to agree with Blabbermouth, too. McCar is not responsible for the community. Your developer is. Lord knows I've gone a few rounds with the developer in my community, too! If you're seeing problems within the community and you're not getting a response from your HOA, and your community has NOT yet been turned over to the homeowners, THEN get on your developer. But, if you're purposefully neglecting paying your HOA dues, you're only hurting yourself and your neighbors. Which, in turn, may cause the HOA to neglect your complaints. People that do not pay their dues hurt the community as a whole. It hurts the budget for upkeep for things such as the ammenities. If there are speeders in your neighborhood, call the police. We've had a rash of valdalism in ours with our clubhouse. We now have people really monitoring the problem areas and contacting the police when something is amiss. McCar bears no responsibility with problems with any amenities or the community (unless they built the ammenity). They are just the home builder. They purchase the lots from a developer and build homes on them. Now, if you've read enough of these posts, you know where I stand on McCar. Hold them accoutable for issues with your home. The neighborhood issues do not fall on McCar's shoulders. (even as much as we'd like to dump it on them.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte